Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #6,196 of 6,742
I've never actually even used my stock Elear pads. I went straight to the Utopia pads and then the Clear pads. Going by what I've read and the graphs I've seen, the Clear or Utopia pads will suit my wants better. With the Clear or Utopia pads they sound similar enough to an HD650, but with slightly less warmth, more sub-bass, more top end and more top end extension, and much better dynamics.
With the three pairs of Focal open-back pads you effectively own 3 slightly different signatures..which is pretty cool imho. Variety is the spice of life.

Nov 11, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #6,197 of 6,742
With the three pairs of Focal open-back pads you effectively own 3 slightly different signatures..which is pretty cool imho. Variety is the spice of life.

I sold the Utopia pads so I no longer have them. The Clear pads sounded a tad better to me. I should try to sell the Elear pads too since I really don't see myself ever using them. Anyone want them for a low price?

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #6,198 of 6,742
Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #6,200 of 6,742
I have only used my Elears with Mac devices (OS and OSX), and all sound about the same to me, with the newer phones and iPads sounding better than my older iPhone SE (with either direct connection or via the lightening adapter from Apple). My listening pattern is such that I cannot make good use of a desktop set-up. Has anyone come across a portable amp/dac that sounds significantly better than Apple dongle with the Elears?

I used to use the Fiio K1with an Apple CCK (OTG) adapter which was much better

Attachments

• 25311177-9719-4A43-B813-4F16D5E41E66.jpeg
    25311177-9719-4A43-B813-4F16D5E41E66.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 65AF22EE-2B83-4500-A733-69C079DC9264.jpeg
    65AF22EE-2B83-4500-A733-69C079DC9264.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Nov 15, 2020 at 1:53 AM Post #6,201 of 6,742
Hey Guys, stay away from Focal. I was so in love with the Elear when I bought in 2017 only to have the left side dying on me 2 weeks back. In fact I only used it a maximum of 10 hours since I bought as brand new from Amazon.
Tried contacting Focal support 2 times without any answer from them even though i was planning to buy the Utopia.
Dumping 3.5K on on a company which have technical manufacturing flaws which they don't even bother replying to customers would be a foolish thing to do.
Now am looking into Sennheiser HD800S

Nov 15, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #6,202 of 6,742
Anyone was able to get through to Focal Support by any mean ? or maybe they are in total Lockdown in France

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #6,203 of 6,742
Looks awesome. Did you design your own file for printing?
I modified a design i found on reddit
Okay, I bit and ordered the plate and pads. What glue did you use?
Dont need glue, the pads wrap perfectly around the adapter then pop them on and your good to go

Nov 15, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #6,206 of 6,742
I was so in love with the Elear when I bought in 2017 only to have the left side dying on me 2 weeks back. In fact I only used it a maximum of 10 hours since I bought as brand new from Amazon.

You we so in love with them that you only used them 10 hours over 3 years?... Am I reading that right? :confused:

Nov 15, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #6,207 of 6,742
You we so in love with them that you only used them 10 hours over 3 years?... Am I reading that right? :confused:

I use mine at least 10 hours a week.

Nov 18, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #6,209 of 6,742
TL;DR - ladies and gentlemen, proudly presenting the world's first (and as far as I know, only) suspension strap for Focal headphones: the gStrap.

gStrap_01.jpg gStrap_02.jpg gStrap_03.jpg gStrap_04.jpg

Wait, what? Did he just say 'suspension strap' and 'Focal' in the same sentence? How is that even possible!? Here's the low down:

I've been an Elear owner and enthusiast for some time now, and it's become my favourite daily driver. I just love everything about its sound, look, feel...well, almost everything. Over the course of the past few months, I've noticed a few 'issues' that instead of turning me off the Elear, have prompted me to look for solutions.

The first, and most obvious, was the material the pads and headband were made of. I bought my set used (and so-called 'mint'), and so it was - except the pads and headband were very clearly worn and used. The fabric has started to fleck, for want of a better word, and had also taken on an oily (gross, I know) appearance. Oddly enough I didn't fault the previous owner; he had every right to use them as intended, and he was even kind enough to compensate me after the sale so I can buy replacement pads. No, the blame lies squarely with whoever thought microfibre was a good idea for the two parts of a headphone that regularly come into contact with human skin, hair, and all the random stuff left on desks and bookshelves that the headphones inevitably sit on. It wouldn't be so bad if the fabric parts were easily (and affordably) replaceable, but replacement pads from Focal are currently priced at $150, and the headband is not only not replaceable, but also not repairable.

The second was the design of the headband itself. The Elear, as you probably know, is not a lightweight headphone. While the headband itself is fairly well padded, and the clamping force distributes at least some of the overall weight of the headphone, I was still prone to developing hotspots where the headband met my head. This meant that after a few minutes' use I started to feel the pressure, and from time to time had to adjust the headband away from the hotspot it was creating. At times I got it just right and, without moving, was able to wear it for a longer listening session without any pain, but until that point I found myself constantly fiddling with the headband (and distracted from the music). So aside from the curious decision to use fabric for the headband padding, the headband itself was often a source of discomfort.

Luckily, soon after I bought the Elear, I discovered the @DekoniAudio Elite range of leather pads for Focal. Not only did Dekoni's fenestrated sheepskin pads improve the comfort and instantly remove the issue of flecking fabric and oil absorption from the earpads, they also improved the sound of the headphone. You can read my full review of these pads here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/de...r-focal-headphones.23227/reviews#review-20632

The headband issue was a bigger problem, and one that for months I've struggled to solve. Until now. Sure there are aftermarket "covers" for Focal headphones on eBay, but the idea of putting a cheap woollen monstrosity on such a sleek and stylish headphone just didn't sit right with me. It reminded me of those horrid wool carseat covers from the 70s and 80s - can you picture putting those on the seats of your modern day sports car!? Other owners took the matter into their own hands, wrapping home made neoprene padding, and even Maxi Pads (I kid you not, check out the recent post on the Clear thread), to try protect the otherwise very stylish and very expensive headband. At the same time, I'd just bought the new Audeze suspension headband for my LCD-3, and the ZMF Atticus I was using also had a suspension strap to distribute the weight, and realised that both those headphones were far more comfortable than the Elear for extended use despite them being far heavier than the Elear.

Which got me thinking...what if there Elear had a suspension strap? Obvious, right? Except there was no easy way, that I could see, to detach the Elear's ear cups from the headband to fit an aftermarket product like the @Lohb strap, like I did for my LCD-2. But taking a closer look at how the new Audeze strap is designed, and having removed the two small plastic covers that conceal the yoke entry and excess headband material on either side of the Elear headband, I had a lightbulb moment. Many weeks later, after dozens of sketches and paper prototypes, and following close discussions with a good friend and leather craftsman, I can proudly present what I believe is the world's first and only suspension strap for the Elear (and other Focal headphones like it).

Shoot if you have any questions and I'll try to answer on this thread, but I'll also link this post on the other Focal headphone threads, so there may be Q&As going on elsewhere as well. I'm currently considering producing the gStrap in limited quantities, so PM me if you think it's something you think you could use for your own headphones.
Old post - but nevertheless I need to congratulate!
Great idea and immaculate hand craft. Bravo!

Nov 21, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #6,210 of 6,742
So I guess I've kind of become addicted to the bass slam these have. It's a bit disappointing when I listen to an album that really has almost no dynamic range. I guess it's just another case of using music to listen to the headphones and not the other way around like we head-fiers should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back