Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
May 5, 2020 at 11:50 PM Post #5,987 of 6,742
These sound good on a Schiit Magni Heresy:
IMG_20200505_234740.jpg

Just switched from a Magni 2Uber to the Heresy today.

May 7, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #5,990 of 6,742
Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #5,991 of 6,742
May 7, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #5,992 of 6,742
May 7, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #5,994 of 6,742
May 7, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #5,995 of 6,742
May 7, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #5,996 of 6,742
Anyone reccomend a good cheap cable for the Elear? Don't want anything fancy - just something that will work as well as the stock cable but without being nearly as heavy as the headphone itself?
I got this one and pretty happy (note that this is a 2.5mm balanced cable): https://mezeaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/99-series-2-5-balanced-cable

I'm guessing this one should be as good but is 3.5mm TRS: https://mezeaudio.com/collections/a...series-standard-cables?variant=19420023586873

May 7, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #5,997 of 6,742
So my Elear with Utopia pads sounds great with the Magni Heresy. Everything about it seems to be kicked up a notch compared to the old Magni 2 Uber I was using.

One of the best differences is that this combination sounds great at any volume. With the Magni 2 Uber the Elear sounded better at louder volumes, and I kept finding myself listening louder than I usually do. I've heard people say that there is a sweet spot on the volume dial to make the Elear sound it's best, and that still may be, but with the Heresy they sound great and dynamic at lower volumes than with the Magni 2 Uber.

I could go on and on about this Heresy and Elear combo, but to summarize, this amp sounds better than the Magni 2 Uber in every way. Bigger soundstage, better detail, better dynamics, but another noticeable improvement is better sub-bass. I keep hitting pause to make sure I'm hearing something in the music, and not a helicopter flying over or something of that sort that's rumbling. I didn't really think the sub-bass was lacking before, but now now it definitely isn't.

One last thing I'll mention is the better volume control and a better high vs low gain. The Magni 2 Uber sounded better to me on high gain, but that left me with very little movement on the volume dial and would run into channel imbalance. The Heresy has a lower output on low gain in comparison(probably best for IEM's), so I've been using high gain but somehow there is a lot better control of the volume output here and no channel imbalance.

So a definitely worthy upgrade for only $125 shipped.

May 8, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #5,998 of 6,742
Thanks for the reccommendation but damn, they aren't available in the UK.

I just got an Elear. From the hype surrounding them I was expecting their dynamics to be so extreme that every kick drum hit would be rendered with an aneurysm-inducing physicality. No, they're not that extreme.

They almost sound like a Grado with opposite tuning (to emphasize the bass and low-mids instead of upper-mids and treble). They have a laid-back frequency response yet still sound aggressive - and it's probably mainly their dynamics that are enabling that.

As an aside - would you guys say that if you own an Elear/Elex, an HD650 is redundant because they overlap in sound signature too much? Or would they compliment each other?

May 8, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #6,000 of 6,742
May the lord(s) save me! Mi woman is going to take my head off 😱 yeah, i just made an offer on a new set of elear,s. It was on ebay and it was under 500$ and i had no idea... aaaand i just won the bid 😏👀 so i have the ifi micro black, do i have to make changes to stock headfhones or am i good? That is if i live through this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back