Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Apr 30, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #5,971 of 6,742
Hard to say but I think I like the sendys just a little more, I a planar person

May 1, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #5,973 of 6,742
Is the Elear good for gaming? Does it handle subbass EQ well? I just ordered one, a bit of a gamble not knowing the full answers to these and having read a lot of contradictory/polarizing opinions. Hoping to clear the water so I can set some realistic expectations. I use a Loki for EQ and am coming off of a th-x00.
Thanks!

May 1, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #5,974 of 6,742
Is the Elear good for gaming? Does it handle subbass EQ well? I just ordered one, a bit of a gamble not knowing the full answers to these and having read a lot of contradictory/polarizing opinions. Hoping to clear the water so I can set some realistic expectations. I use a Loki for EQ and am coming off of a th-x00.
Thanks!

They have decent sub bass already. If you EQ the sub-bass you may run into the driver "clipping" issue that some people have with these. All depends on how much EQ and how loud.

May 1, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #5,975 of 6,742
They have decent sub bass already. If you EQ the sub-bass you may run into the driver "clipping" issue that some people have with these. All depends on how much EQ and how loud.

I use mine pretty much exclusively for gaming and the sub bass is good but not crazy because I think it’s meant to sound balanced for music. My old gaming headphones had more bass but it wasn’t good bass if that make sense. I have EQed the elears for more bass using my monolith And haven’t ran into any clipping even at really uncomfortable volumes.

May 1, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #5,976 of 6,742
^^thanks for the feedback! That’s all good news! I don’t get crazy loud, it gives me headaches. I actually find that the Loki + ifi xbass+ thx00 is too much subbass for a lot of applications, especially when the bass is already engineered to be boosted in certain tracks and games. So I just use the XBass and keep the Loki knob turned ever so slightly. But every once in a while I like to get the subwoofer on head thing going. I’ll still have the x00 for that but am just really hoping these will be sufficient in the Bass department while providing a noticeable upgrade everywhere else across the spectrum since most of what I do is games and movies, and my music interests ranges from saint-saens to infected mushroom.

May 3, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #5,977 of 6,742
Does anyone know if Drop Elex pads will ever be available again?

Or if not I may have to splurge on a pair of Focal Clear earpads (that sadly cost as much as an HD6XX) because where I live (UK) the Elex simply isn't available, so my only option is to get Elear + Elex/Clear pads. But I can't even find anywhere that sells Clear pads - doesn anyone know where to get them from?

May 3, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #5,978 of 6,742
Moon audio has them in stock. They ship internationally according to the website.

May 3, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #5,979 of 6,742
Moon audio has them in stock. They ship internationally according to the website.

Oh man, 200 dollars for the pair, then international shipping, then import taxes, probably taking the total up to $350 for a set of freaking ear pads, that's pretty ridiculous.

Edit: but thanks for the link; at least I know it's possible to 'upgrade' the Elear to an Elex

Last edited:
May 4, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #5,984 of 6,742
Do the Clear pads fit perfectly onto the Elear with no modification at all?

Yup. They snap right on. I'm using the Utopia pads on mine. May sound crazy, but I want the clear pads as well. I may order the red clear pads.

May 5, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #5,985 of 6,742
I couldn't help myself. I snagged one of the remaining refurbished units on accessories4less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back