Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 7, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #5,629 of 6,742
Mar 18, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #5,630 of 6,742
Dear all,

As already mentioned several times, we are aware that the very first production batches of Elear and Utopia have had some voice coil issues. Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market.

We heard your complaints and in order to treat you the best way and to offer the best warranty service possible, we decided that Elear and Utopia headphones will now benefit from a 5-year warranty worldwide (starting from the first date of purchase by the first buyer). If you already own a pair of Elear or Utopia headphones, the warranty is extended.

Our distribution network has been officially informed. So, if you are experiencing any driver failure, please contact your local dealer who will ensure the After-Sales Service of your headphones.

I stay at your disposal if you have any questions.

Best regards
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Mar 18, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #5,631 of 6,742
Dear all,

As already mentioned several times, we are aware that the very first production batches of Elear and Utopia have had some voice coil issues. Even if we managed to take on defective headphones returns, some units can be left on the market.

We heard your complaints and in order to treat you the best way and to offer the best warranty service possible, we decided that Elear and Utopia headphones will now benefit from a 5-year warranty worldwide (starting from the first date of purchase by the first buyer). If you already own a pair of Elear or Utopia headphones, the warranty is extended.

Our distribution network has been officially informed. So, if you are experiencing any driver failure, please contact your local dealer who will ensure the After-Sales Service of your headphones.

Best regards

Nice approach. Kudos for doing the right thing. I have a pair but haven't used them much (yet). Reassuring to know if there is a problem Focal will be there.

Mar 18, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #5,632 of 6,742
Dear all,

Best regards

That is the best news I've heard, coming from what is the worst experience I've ever had with a pair of hp's, I'm a Focal Elear owner who is now on my FORTH pair due to driver failure. It's been two years now so what your saying I get 3 additional years of warranty ? I'm the first & only owner of these hp's. If true I say Thank You Focal you've restored my faith in your company.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2019 at 10:42 PM Post #5,633 of 6,742
I've been jamming out to my Nightowl over the past month since it's my new hp and while I really like them the Elear still sounds as good as it ever has. I've never had another hp that's sounded like the Elear, with its dynamic sound and deep soundstage. I love not using them for a while because when I do it's like listening to them for the first time all over again. I know that might sound cheesy but that's what it's like to me.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:35 AM Post #5,634 of 6,742
@BubbaJay I feel you. Got mine out of their box and hooked them up to a Little Dot; seriously makes me reconsider selling them, but I just don't gots the environment for open backs to be a mainstay
cry.gif

9939958_l.jpg

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #5,635 of 6,742
@BubbaJay I feel you. Got mine out of their box and hooked them up to a Little Dot; seriously makes me reconsider selling them, but I just don't gots the environment for open backs to be a mainstay
cry.gif

9939958_l.jpg

That's a shame but you gotta do what u gotta do.

Have u considered getting the Elegia which is the closed version of the Elear?

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:53 PM Post #5,636 of 6,742
@BubbaJay Considered it, yes; ruled it out? Yes to that, too. I could be making a mistake by not even giving it an audition, but from what I've read it's got a more neutral tuning than the Elear, and loses out on some of its dynamic ability. I'll only consider cans that have a bass presence of at least the Elear, and my NightOwl is ruling the perch as far as closed backs go. The next one down the line will, depending on what's out by then, could be the Denon AH-D9200 because Looking at the £1,000 and under segment won't get something I'd consider an upgrade to the Owl. I'm in no rush, I can wait until there's something on the market that persuades me to open my wallet (if I'm allowed... so we'll pen that in for 2028, then).

What I'm most interested in right now is the Shozy POLA. I see you also think the NightOwl and Elear make a nice accompaniment to one another!

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #5,637 of 6,742
@BubbaJay Considered it, yes; ruled it out? Yes to that, too. I could be making a mistake by not even giving it an audition, but from what I've read it's got a more neutral tuning than the Elear, and loses out on some of its dynamic ability. I'll only consider cans that have a bass presence of at least the Elear, and my NightOwl is ruling the perch as far as closed backs go. The next one down the line will, depending on what's out by then, could be the Denon AH-D9200 because Looking at the £1,000 and under segment won't get something I'd consider an upgrade to the Owl. I'm in no rush, I can wait until there's something on the market that persuades me to open my wallet (if I'm allowed... so we'll pen that in for 2028, then).

What I'm most interested in right now is the Shozy POLA. I see you also think the NightOwl and Elear make a nice accompaniment to one another!

The Pola is pretty sweet! I’d definitely consider them. We’ve been selling them like pancakes at a breakfast house

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Mar 20, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #5,638 of 6,742

I got a Nightowl about a month ago and I love them. They sound a lot like my LCD-2C but the owl is more dynamic sounding, I like them so much I might sell my 2C.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #5,639 of 6,742
I think the Elear and Nightowl are great complimentary headphones to one another. The Elear is very dynamic and in your face but in a good way where as the owl is a bit smoother and warmer (though still dynamic but just not on the Elear level) with powerful bass. Both excel with electronic music and rock/metal which is what I listen to most though the Elear does classical better with its dynamic range.

I really enjoy both a lot but if I had to choose I think the Elear would be the one, but I'm glad I don't have to.

Mar 21, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #5,640 of 6,742
Well I got my Elear's back from warranty repair their sound is amazing as expected, I was on the Focal website looking at their hp's and noticed they offered the Clear's, Elegia's, Utopia's but I didn't see the Elear's on their site. Just wondering if these hp's were discontinued, maybe that's why their on sale everywhere I look. They've been a nightmare for me, my forth pair if they weren't under warranty still they would be in the junk pile. Sure wish I had the nerve to buy the Clear's but not too anxious to go through that mess again sorry I'm done with Focal..

https://www.focal.com/us/headphones

do u like your elear or afo better for pop and rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back