Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2019 at 12:37 AM Post #5,611 of 6,742
The Elear is a great complimentary headphone to my LCD-2C. Even though they're both warm hp's they really sound nothing alike.

The 2C is warmer with a pitch black background and smoother signature where as the Elear is more dynamic in its frequency range and has a more lively presentation. Both have good bass but we all know who has the one with the best extension and sound over all. In the soundstage the Elear is deeper while the 2C is wider and both have excellent imaging and separation.

I'll say it again, I'm glad I started to listen to my Elear again after its 3 month sabbatical.

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #5,612 of 6,742
The Elear is a great complimentary headphone to my LCD-2C. Even though they're both warm hp's they really sound nothing alike.

The 2C is warmer with a pitch black background and smoother signature where as the Elear is more dynamic in its frequency range and has a more lively presentation. Both have good bass but we all know who has the one with the best extension and sound over all. In the soundstage the Elear is deeper while the 2C is wider and both have excellent imaging and separation.

I'll say it again, I'm glad I started to listen to my Elear again after its 3 month sabbatical.

It's been a bit since I've heard the Audeze LCD-2C, but your assessment is pretty much spot on. The detail on the Elear comes across a bit better, but not too hot either. Just enough to enjoy the details of the music. I'd like to compare my Hifiman HE-400s to the Audeze LCD-2C. I'm sure they have a similar "dark" signature to the low end.

Feb 2, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #5,613 of 6,742
Same here. I didn’t like lcd2 at all until after I got the Elears. Now I use them more than the Elears; but with the comfort that I can use my Elears when ever I feel the need for a bit more analytical sound. I would not have liked lcd2 as much without having a complimentary hp like the Elears.

I started my search for one hp for all but ended up with 3 which greatly compliment each other. The other one being the AQ NO.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #5,614 of 6,742
I finally had a chance to audition the Elear and Clear for about 20 min each and I loved them both. I enjoyed both so much I’ve been leaning toward the Elear more because of the price. I’m able to grab the Elear at $500 and Clear at $900 brand new.

I’m pretty new to the audiophile world so I don’t quite have the refined language to describe my ideal sound yet. I mainly listen to hip hop, alternative pop/rock/folk, and enjoy vocals. The HD650 were too dark, veiled and neutral for me. The K7XX were too bright/sibilant so I used them just for gaming. I have the Mimby, Bimby, Magni 2U, Jot, and Emotiva BasX A100.

I felt bored with the HD650. I’m looking for a “fun” pair of headphones for the music I like — I was thinking something ZMF at first, but the Atticus and Eikon don’t quite fit my tastes. When I tried the Focal Elear and Clear, I felt the music come to life in a way I hadn’t experienced before. I loved them. Even the Utopia felt less fun because of the reduced bass in comparison, though definitely more detailed (plus it’s way outside of my price range).

Do y’all have any advice as I try to decide between the Elear and Clear? Thank you!

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #5,615 of 6,742
I’m in somewhat of a predicament between Elear and LCD2/2C.

First time trying planars and I felt that they sacrificed tone and organics for amazing detail and speed.

Tried the LCD3, Sundara, Elear and HD800S. Most impressed with Elear overall due to build, fit and sound.

Of course it would be good to not have another dynamic can since I alr have the 650’s but is the LCD2 or 2C warmer than the LCD3?

I found LCD3 to be sterile and clinical of sorts. Amazing resolution though..

Should I also consider the Aeon Flow? If so, closed or open?

Thanks all

Feb 23, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #5,616 of 6,742
I finally had a chance to audition the Elear and Clear for about 20 min each and I loved them both. I enjoyed both so much I’ve been leaning toward the Elear more because of the price. I’m able to grab the Elear at $500 and Clear at $900 brand new.

I’m pretty new to the audiophile world so I don’t quite have the refined language to describe my ideal sound yet. I mainly listen to hip hop, alternative pop/rock/folk, and enjoy vocals. The HD650 were too dark, veiled and neutral for me. The K7XX were too bright/sibilant so I used them just for gaming. I have the Mimby, Bimby, Magni 2U, Jot, and Emotiva BasX A100.

I felt bored with the HD650. I’m looking for a “fun” pair of headphones for the music I like — I was thinking something ZMF at first, but the Atticus and Eikon don’t quite fit my tastes. When I tried the Focal Elear and Clear, I felt the music come to life in a way I hadn’t experienced before. I loved them. Even the Utopia felt less fun because of the reduced bass in comparison, though definitely more detailed (plus it’s way outside of my price range).

Do y’all have any advice as I try to decide between the Elear and Clear? Thank you!

$500 for a brand new set of Elears is a great price, don’t mind sharing where I can get them? Much appreciated

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #5,617 of 6,742

First time trying planars and I felt that they sacrificed tone and organics for amazing detail and speed.

Tried the LCD3, Sundara, Elear and HD800S. Most impressed with Elear overall due to build, fit and sound.

Of course it would be good to not have another dynamic can since I alr have the 650’s but is the LCD2 or 2C warmer than the LCD3?

Thanks all

I have the HD650, LCD2, Elear, Aeon Flow Open and Closed and they are all great headphones and they all sound different. To my ears the LCD2 has a warmer and more forgiving sound than the LCD3. The LCD2 has the trademark Audeze bass, the Elear has great dynamics, the Aeon Flow Closed is very neutral and the Aeon Flow Open is just a wonderfully musical headphone. They are all different, and they are all good. YMMV, etc.

Feb 23, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #5,618 of 6,742
I have the HD650, LCD2, Elear, Aeon Flow Open and Closed and they are all great headphones and they all sound different. To my ears the LCD2 has a warmer and more forgiving sound than the LCD3. The LCD2 has the trademark Audeze bass, the Elear has great dynamics, the Aeon Flow Closed is very neutral and the Aeon Flow Open is just a wonderfully musical headphone. They are all different, and they are all good. YMMV, etc.

damn, that's a v tough decision to make..

Feb 24, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #5,619 of 6,742

Thanks all

I definitely think you should consider the Aeons. I have an Elex, AFC and AFO. The AFC is extremely detailed, (more so than the LCD-2C, AFO and Elear) and does the treble in a very non- harsh way that gives you a sweet sounding and detailed headphone. It’s not a “fun” headphone though. Just honest. The AFO is much warmer, doesn’t have as good a soundstage as the AFC or Elear, but is great for losing yourself in the music. It’s just got a great sound and more along the lines of “fun”. Both Aeons require an amp that can deliver a lot of current at low impedance though so that is something to consider.

Edit: adding some additional thoughts-

I have Dekoni sheepskin fenestrated pads on my Elex so I can’t offer you a good opinion on the sound of an Elear compared the Aeons, but I can say they hold their own with the other two. I find they sound best at moderate volume which allows the full dynamic range to come into play with no compression. They are definitely the most open and the most dynamic. They also deliver a great soundstage. More than once I’ve closed my eyes and felt like I was sitting in the audience. A big plus is just about any amp can drive them, including a smartphone. They scale up though so spending some money on a decent amp is worth it.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #5,620 of 6,742
I definitely think you should consider the Aeons. I have an Elex, AFC and AFO. The AFC is extremely detailed, (more so than the LCD-2C, AFO and Elear) and does the treble in a very non- harsh way that gives you a sweet sounding and detailed headphone. It’s not a “fun” headphone though. Just honest. The AFO is much warmer, doesn’t have as good a soundstage as the AFC or Elear, but is great for losing yourself in the music. It’s just got a great sound and more along the lines of “fun”. Both Aeons require an amp that can deliver a lot of current at low impedance though so that is something to consider.

=O

edit: seems to be similar tone as the Elex

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #5,621 of 6,742

Can’t say I agree. Number one, it’s not an easy to drive headphone. If he hooked it up to an amp that can’t deliver much current, then yes, it would be boring. One of the things I see reviewers do a lot is assume low impedance = easy to drive. That’s only true for efficient headphones. Inefficient headphones can quickly run out of current. For example:

A iPhone can probably deliver about 30-40 mA of current to a headphone. With an impedance of 10 ohms (inner fidelity), that means an IPhone can deliver a maximum of (.030)^2 x 10 W or 9 mW. The AFO produces 90 dB at 2.76 mW. That means max dB produced by an IPhone is around 95dB. Plenty loud on average, but drum hits, string plucks, etc will sound lifeless because the transients are higher than that, even if your average listening level is around 70 dB.

Compare that to say an amp that can deliver 100mA: Max dB = 105 dB. Much better, but you still have a transient problem with bass notes and slam. A sustained 105 dB is really loud. A low frequency transient like a bass drum at 105 dB is not loud.

Personally I’d like to see transients at 115 dB or more. Converting that to watts means 872 mW or about 300mA. Most amps struggle to deliver 300 mA, so most amps don’t really perform well with the AFO.

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:49 AM Post #5,622 of 6,742

Hi Bones,

re. these Focals, have you also heard of the Elex which can be obtained at massdrop for $ 700 new?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-focal-elex-headphones

My thoughts on your questions:
- the Elear is even more dynamic than the Clear (which is already very dynamic), but at this point I see this mainly as a advantage for listening to aggressive music like metal
- the Clear has more resolution, but not much
- the Elear has an elevated bass compared to other frequencies, making it more fun than the Clear, but is then less neutral (less fidel to original presentation), not so well balanced
- the Clear has more sub-bass (lowest end of the bass) than the Elear, which may be quite important for hip-hop, and thus the Clear is better balanced in the whole bass areas
- the Clear has one major drawback: the light-grey color of the earpads and of the bottom of the headband takes a dirty coloration through human contact over use, making them look dirty and loose value (solutions are: put a fabric around the headband, and change the expensive earpads). I find this really annoying, neither the Elear not the Elex have this drawback
- the Elex has the driver of the Elear but is tuned neutrally like the Clear, so it brings some of the best of both, has a dark color scheme like the Elear (so no coloration and dirty look though use like with the Clear), and its price new should be less than the Elear's official price.

It is quite insightful that you mentioned your musical tastes:

- vocals:
I think that Focals excel at vocals. Among those the Elear has a small dip somewhere (I forgot, maybe higher mids?) so the Elex and the Clear would be more neutral here.

- alternative pop/rock/folk:
Focals should be all great here.

- hip-hop:
I rarely listen to (electronic) beat-based music, so I am not reliable here, but I often read that people listening to this kind of genre prefer planar magnetic headphones, like Audeze's or Hifiman's, they are not so fast and detailed as Focal's headphones (at corresponding prices) (and for me even the very expensive LCD-4(z) and Susvara are not as resolving as the Clear), but their bass beats have more duration, are more fleshed in and they feel like extending deeper in the sub-bass than the open Focals (the closed Focals have more sub-bass for me then the open ones). All Audeze I know have a pleasant, dark sound, but at the cost of a lack in the treble, making them not so good as Focals for neutrality, fidelity. in general. I find the FR of Hifiman planars should be globally more balanced than that of Audezes (though some Hifiman may have some treble peaks), they usually have a very large soundstage (good for ambient music), but for me this makes sometimes vocals sound unnatural in the sense of being too much spread out, ethereal. Right now the Hifiman gives a discount for the Sundara which is a steal at $350.

Re. amps:
Focals often don't combine so well with amps (e.g. some tube ones) made for high-impedance headphones or difficult to drive planars, e.g. this could lead to an over-emphasis of their bass.

Have a nice weekend,
bidn

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #5,623 of 6,742
Hi Bones,

re. these Focals, have you also heard of the Elex which can be obtained at massdrop for $ 700 new?

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-focal-elex-headphones

My thoughts on your questions:
- the Elear is even more dynamic than the Clear (which is already very dynamic), but at this point I see this mainly as a advantage for listening to aggressive music like metal
- the Clear has more resolution, but not much
- the Elear has an elevated bass compared to other frequencies, making it more fun than the Clear, but is then less neutral (less fidel to original presentation), not so well balanced
- the Clear has more sub-bass (lowest end of the bass) than the Elear, which may be quite important for hip-hop, and thus the Clear is better balanced in the whole bass areas
- the Clear has one major drawback: the light-grey color of the earpads and of the bottom of the headband takes a dirty coloration through human contact over use, making them look dirty and loose value (solutions are: put a fabric around the headband, and change the expensive earpads). I find this really annoying, neither the Elear not the Elex have this drawback
- the Elex has the driver of the Elear but is tuned neutrally like the Clear, so it brings some of the best of both, has a dark color scheme like the Elear (so no coloration and dirty look though use like with the Clear), and its price new should be less than the Elear's official price.

It is quite insightful that you mentioned your musical tastes:

- vocals:
I think that Focals excel at vocals. Among those the Elear has a small dip somewhere (I forgot, maybe higher mids?) so the Elex and the Clear would be more neutral here.

- alternative pop/rock/folk:
Focals should be all great here.

- hip-hop:
I rarely listen to (electronic) beat-based music, so I am not reliable here, but I often read that people listening to this kind of genre prefer planar magnetic headphones, like Audeze's or Hifiman's, they are not so fast and detailed as Focal's headphones (at corresponding prices) (and for me even the very expensive LCD-4(z) and Susvara are not as resolving as the Clear), but their bass beats have more duration, are more fleshed in and they feel like extending deeper in the sub-bass than the open Focals (the closed Focals have more sub-bass for me then the open ones). All Audeze I know have a pleasant, dark sound, but at the cost of a lack in the treble, making them not so good as Focals for neutrality, fidelity. in general. I find the FR of Hifiman planars should be globally more balanced than that of Audezes (though some Hifiman may have some treble peaks), they usually have a very large soundstage (good for ambient music), but for me this makes sometimes vocals sound unnatural in the sense of being too much spread out, ethereal. Right now the Hifiman gives a discount for the Sundara which is a steal at $350.

Re. amps:
Focals often don't combine so well with amps (e.g. some tube ones) made for high-impedance headphones or difficult to drive planars, e.g. this could lead to an over-emphasis of their bass.

Have a nice weekend,
bidn

Some good points here. I agree that the Elex isn’t so great for electronic dance music but is fantastic with folk, jazz, and rock. The other thing is you can change the sound of the Elear / Elex quite a bit if you change the pads. In fact the main difference between the Elear and the Elex is the pads which make the Elex more neutral than the Elear. It’s easy to do and personally I prefer the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads over the stock Elex pads.

I also agree that Hifiman headphones are another good option to look at in the price range you’re shopping.

The comment about amps is more or less true- the Elear / Elex are very efficient around 104 dB at one mW and you don’t need much to drive them.

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #5,624 of 6,742
Some good points here. I agree that the Elex isn’t so great for electronic dance music but is fantastic with folk, jazz, and rock. The other thing is you can change the sound of the Elear / Elex quite a bit if you change the pads. In fact the main difference between the Elear and the Elex is the pads which make the Elex more neutral than the Elear. It’s easy to do and personally I prefer the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads over the stock Elex pads.

I also agree that Hifiman headphones are another good option to look at in the price range you’re shopping.

Hi Will f,

thank you for these nice words.
I also own the Elex and the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin (for Focals) pads, but buying these add to the cost if people are budget-limited.
I was lucky to be able to order all of these through Massdrop while the drops were active,
unfortunately the drops ended (I think already some months ago?), while the drop for the Elex is still active.

The comment about amps is more or less true- the Elear / Elex are very efficient around 104 dB at one mW and you don’t need much to drive them.

Please read carefully what I wrote:
I did not write that they were not efficient or difficult to drive, they are indeed very efficient and easy to drive.
What I wrote =
"Focals often don't combine so well with amps (e.g. some tube ones) made for high-impedance headphones or difficult to drive planars, e.g. this could lead to an over-emphasis of their bass."
Amps designed to drive high impedance headphones (lile some Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic) will normally have a correspondingly higher output impedance than amps designed for efficient headphones (like Focals).
The impedance of the Elear is about 85 Ohm for most of the frequencies, but at around 50 Hz it peaks at about 330 Ohm:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone-measurements
The impedance of the Clear is about 55 Ohm for most frequencies, but peaks at 350 Ohm around 50 Hz:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalClearsnA1BRQE000013.pdf
By the voltage-divider rule, combining these headphones with an amp having a high output impedance (designed for inefficient headphones. e.g. having a high impedance)
will result in a boost (bass over-emphasis) around the impedance peak, i.e. quite a loss of neutrality (but maybe great fun for bassheads?).

all the best,
bidn

Feb 24, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #5,625 of 6,742
Hi Will f,

thank you for these nice words.
I also own the Elex and the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin (for Focals) pads, but buying these add to the cost if people are budget-limited.
I was lucky to be able to order all of these through Massdrop while the drops were active,
unfortunately the drops ended (I think already some months ago?), while the drop for the Elex is still active.

Please read carefully what I wrote:
I did not write that they were not efficient or difficult to drive, they are indeed very efficient and easy to drive.
What I wrote =
"Focals often don't combine so well with amps (e.g. some tube ones) made for high-impedance headphones or difficult to drive planars, e.g. this could lead to an over-emphasis of their bass."
Amps designed to drive high impedance headphones (lile some Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic) will normally have a correspondingly higher output impedance than amps designed for efficient headphones (like Focals).
The impedance of the Elear is about 85 Ohm for most of the frequencies, but at around 50 Hz it peaks at about 330 Ohm:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/enter-next-generation-focal-elear-headphone-measurements
The impedance of the Clear is about 55 Ohm for most frequencies, but peaks at 350 Ohm around 50 Hz:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FocalClearsnA1BRQE000013.pdf
By the voltage-divider rule, combining these headphones with an amp having a high output impedance (designed for inefficient headphones. e.g. having a high impedance)
will result in a boost (bass over-emphasis) around the impedance peak, i.e. quite a loss of neutrality (but maybe great fun for bassheads?).

all the best,
bidn

I forgot about the variation in impedance you get with the Focals as you get near 50 hz (mostly I’ve owned planars and low output impedance amps). Point taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back