Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #5,581 of 6,742
Recently got an Elex so I have the Elear and Elex side by side right now.
Now generally the Elex sounds like a more even/neutral Elear, with a bigger soundstage. They sound pretty similar though.
If its DT1990 vs Elex vs Elear:
Elex is a headphone that is essentially impossible to not like. It has a safe sound signature, but it sounds amazing.
DT1990 has a slightly more precise soundstage. Layering is done very slight better on Elex, DT1990 just sounds a bit larger. The treble here might piss some people off though.
Elear is more wonky sounding, and it really depends on the song. I like the Elear the most for rock. They can sound a little subdued with brighter sounding music/female vocals, or make you feel excited by male vocals/electric guitars with its in your face sound sig.

I'm not going to lie though, I think the Elex being more neutral generally makes it the better can.

Thanks for sharing.
Can you comment of Elears with the Elex pads on them? How different are they to stock Elears?

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #5,582 of 6,742
I'm the guy with the problems on his Elear. After new tests I found out that the right driver is dead, it's not the cable because both channels work well on the left driver, the right driver is simply dead for no reason. I always put them in the original case and I move them carefully like I'm touching a baby. I'm really sad.
The support doesn't answer, I don't know if they are still on holiday, I contacted them a few weeks ago.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #5,583 of 6,742
I've had a set of Elears for a couple of weeks now and I'm really pleased with them. I'm thinking of getting a 1.5 or 2m cable as I don't need the full length of the stock one. I've found these options so far:
Forza Audioworks Noir Hybrid HPC
Lavricables Ultimate

Does anyone use these or have any other recommendations for third party cables to use with the Elears? Ideally available in Europe.
https://lqicables.com/products/esprit-up-occ-silver-plated-copper - I am waiting on these, to be delivered today. Seems like a good mid tier cable and you can choose to customize them as you like.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #5,584 of 6,742
I'm the guy with the problems on his Elear. After new tests I found out that the right driver is dead, it's not the cable because both channels work well on the left driver, the right driver is simply dead for no reason. I always put them in the original case and I move them carefully like I'm touching a baby. I'm really sad.
The support doesn't answer, I don't know if they are still on holiday, I contacted them a few weeks ago.

I bought one new from a brick and mortar store and it came with a dead right driver. Glad I could exchange it the very next day.

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #5,585 of 6,742

You should be going through your nearest Focal dealer, not contacting Focal directly.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #5,588 of 6,742
I have a set of those cables w/3.5mm so unbalanced. sound good. think I like my neotech cables a bit better....but those balanced so need more time. the braid on lqi cables very durable...should last forever

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #5,590 of 6,742
My phone can drive the Elear. They're super easy

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #5,592 of 6,742

Dear Glasha,

I am sorry about the issue experienced with your headphones.
Requests via our website are directly sent to the local distributor (according to the country you entered) and not to the Focal HQas each distributor is in charge of local customers.

Please send me via Private Message your contact details (name, firstname, email adress, country) as well as the S/N of your headphones and the dates you contacted the dealer, if you want me to enquiry.

Kind regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Focal Stay updated on Focal at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.focal.com/us/
Jan 4, 2019 at 9:34 AM Post #5,593 of 6,742
Dear Glasha,

I am sorry about the issue experienced with your headphones.
Requests via our website are directly sent to the local distributor (according to the country you entered) and not to the Focal HQas each distributor is in charge of local customers.

Please send me via Private Message your contact details (name, firstname, email adress, country) as well as the S/N of your headphones and the dates you contacted the dealer, if you want me to enquiry.

Kind regards,
Marine, Community Manager Focal

Thank you very much for your help!
Anyway your local distributor contacted me exactly this morning, I'm confident they will be able to solve my problem as soon as possible. :wink:

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #5,594 of 6,742
https://lqicables.com/products/esprit-up-occ-silver-plated-copper - I am waiting on these, to be delivered today. Seems like a good mid tier cable and you can choose to customize them as you like.

Just got these after the holidays. Initial impression is very good, connectors and cables feels solid. I would have preferred tighter braids at the ends but this is nitpicking and not sure if that is possible at all.
I cannot compare the sound quality as I am no expert here. This one is my first 2.5mm cable and the Fiio Q5 has much better output at the balanced out; so definitely a huge improvement compared the stock Elear cable but again that is mainly due to the amp.
OP3LFMQhSEK7B1vs+3j3lw.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #5,595 of 6,742
Since getting the LCD-2C I haven't listened to my beloved Elears at all so I decided to get them back in the rotation and I'm glad I did. There's a reason they were my favorite pair of headphones before I got the 2C. While I regard them as equals now they do sound quite a bit different. The Elear is more lively with a brighter treble but still on the warm side of things and a little lighter on the bass still not bad though. They're a wonderfully good sounding headphone and I'm going to start using them more often now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back