Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 22, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #5,431 of 6,742
5 year warranty in Canada if bought from a authorized dealer. whats your warranty where u live
Well, the right channel of my Elear suddenly stopped working. There were no signs of earlier problems and they eren't dropped. I sent an email to my dealer, asked him to arrange for repair. I purchased them 2 years ago, 1.5 year ago Focal replaced them due to creaking headband. The replacement unit's headband started to creak within a few weeks, at that point I gave up on this issue and learnt to live with it.

Any advice on the repair? I'm afraid it won't be cheap...

Sep 22, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #5,433 of 6,742
One year USA warranty...

1 year when purchased from an authorized online only dealer. 2 years when purchased from an authorized brick & mortar store. It’s only a 5 year warranty on the Utopia

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 22, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #5,434 of 6,742
Compared the elear to the Z1R for the last week (through a TA-ZH1ES at the end):

Elear
Clearer, each individual voice is distinct in the mix
little more open sounding,
presentation & soundstage is uniquely (for better or worse) elear with a noticeably separated left, right, and middle band in the stereo image,
bigger, less sculpted/shaped bass (a big glob), can be boomy

Z1R
Voices blend more and are smoother around the edges,
adds some thickness and a slight haze, like turning up the overheads in a drum mix
more intimate
Wider range of presentations, can be wide and deep as well as cozy (I guess those aren't mutually exclusive but yeah), not as good at airy, though it tries to add a sheen to the mid-highs, a bit more ball-of-sound flavored, can vary from recording to recording,
bass is slightly less in overall quantity, with a bit more focus, has a thumpy nature, tuned to mid-bass (electric bass guitars)

Detail is very good on both.
For comfort the Elear is slightly preferred because of less clamp, but both start to give me a neckache past 30 minutes.
Overall I reach for the Elear more, and the Z1R usually on more intimate and/or less dense recordings or before bed. Comfort matters in this decision too.
The Elear sound is more applicable to a wider range of modern music. On the other hand, its clear nature compared to the Z1R is a touch sterile, which you could argue doesn't pull you into the music as well/is less atmospheric.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 2:13 AM Post #5,436 of 6,742
Compared the elear to the Z1R for the last week (through a TA-ZH1ES at the end):

Elear
Clearer, each individual voice is distinct in the mix
little more open sounding,
presentation & soundstage is uniquely (for better or worse) elear with a noticeably separated left, right, and middle band in the stereo image,
bigger, less sculpted/shaped bass (a big glob), can be boomy

Z1R
Voices blend more and are smoother around the edges,
adds some thickness and a slight haze, like turning up the overheads in a drum mix
more intimate
Wider range of presentations, can be wide and deep as well as cozy (I guess those aren't mutually exclusive but yeah), not as good at airy, though it tries to add a sheen to the mid-highs, a bit more ball-of-sound flavored, can vary from recording to recording,
bass is slightly less in overall quantity, with a bit more focus, has a thumpy nature, tuned to mid-bass (electric bass guitars)

Detail is very good on both.
For comfort the Elear is slightly preferred because of less clamp, but both start to give me a neckache past 30 minutes.
Overall I reach for the Elear more, and the Z1R usually on more intimate and/or less dense recordings or before bed. Comfort matters in this decision too.
The Elear sound is more applicable to a wider range of modern music. On the other hand, its clear nature compared to the Z1R is a touch sterile, which you could argue doesn't pull you into the music as well/is less atmospheric.
Very interesting impressions, and glad to hear the Elear is still punching at the right level for you (compared to the $1500 Z1R). If you haven’t already you should give the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads a try on your Elear - smooths out the bass and brings out an even greater level of detail and separation. I’ve hardly used another headphone since I switched pads (and added a suspension strap for comfort).

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #5,437 of 6,742
The Elex pads has just arrived and I paid 19€ for the customs :unamused: But they arrived through the post office, so I don't understand...
Anyway, I tried to take the pads off, but apparently I am a p***y, because I'm too scared about causing some damage, indeed when I try to take them off I hear a weird sound of the glue.
Do you try to do it from the internal ring or from the external ring?

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #5,438 of 6,742
Quit being a p**sy and grab the pad at the top pull out and slightly down and the retention clips will pop out. should take u about 30 seconds to swap both earpads out. I did it so anybody can do it

Sep 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #5,445 of 6,742
anybody got recommendation for a cable replacement that is flexible and relatively non-microphonic? I have Forza Audio Works for my 400i, but I'm not sure I want to spend quite that much. single ended is fine too. Just want something that isn't this clunky nightmare Focal sent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back