Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #5,326 of 6,742
I can only compare the Elear pads to the Dekoni, but the Dekoni pads are a bit thicker and more dense so they kinda hurt my jaw. Not too bad, but the stock pads don't give me discomfort at all.

Does anyone have a comparison of the Elex (or Elear with Clear Pads) vs Elear/Elex + Dekoni Fenestrated pads or hybrid pads?

I kind of want to try the Dekoni pad for comfort, but dont want to spend that much on a pad blindly. They cost more than other headphone models they sell and have bought.

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #5,329 of 6,742
About Elex: "And based on community feedback, they’re wrapped in perforated microfiber to bring the bass down to a tasteful emphasis: ~3 dB above neutral, compared to the 5 to 10 dB of the Elear."
I don't like that XD I just want to bring the mids up :p

Aug 24, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #5,330 of 6,742
About Elex: "And based on community feedback, they’re wrapped in perforated microfiber to bring the bass down to a tasteful emphasis: ~3 dB above neutral, compared to the 5 to 10 dB of the Elear."
I don't like that XD I just want to bring the mids up :p
By toning down the bass and extending the treble you’re essentially balancing out the FR which would have the same effect as propping up the mids.

Aug 25, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #5,332 of 6,742
I am considering my Elear to be replaced by hifiman Ananda can anyone share their experience if they got the chance to listen to both. Thanks

Hi nigel801,

I don't own the Ananda but tested them at my dealer at the beginning of July.
Here are my impressions.

Where the Ananda clearly bests the Elear:
- comfort (very light and little pressure)
- soundstage (much wider).

Where the Elear clearly bests the Ananda
- robustness (the Ananda feels like if any wrong, unintended motion would break its light, cheap and extended build, it feels like it requires to be handled with the utmost care and to be very well protected)
- bass
- dynamics (the Elear completely crushes the Ananda here)
- drum attacks (the Elear completely crushes the Ananda here)
- speed (the Elear completely crushes the Ananda here)
- level of detail
- SNR (noise floor)
- imaging.
(if the music is fast and complex like metal, the Elear will completely crush the Ananda also in bass, detail and imaging, the Ananda not being able to cope with the combined complexity and speed of the music).

Re. FR (frequency response), I am not too sure about which one would be the closest to neutral, none is neutral, but not bad, still OK (for comparison, not like the Campfire Cascade which is so far off neutral, many mid sounds were masked by its bass and treble when I tested it, the music felt like "segmented" into "objects").

In general I would say that the Ananda is a better choice for listening:
- to some very ethereal music (e.g. some ambient music), taking advantage of its very wide soundstage
- in a very relaxed manner (taking advantage of the fact that it is so lame compared to the Elear).
In all other cases the Elear is the better choice for me.
When I auditioned the Ananda, at the end I gave up listening to my usual music (which I found it couldn't really cope with properly) and ended up listening to some dark ambient (a very slow kind of music) where I could enjoy its very wide soundstage.

A positive thing about the Ananda is that it is much better value for its price than the better HE-1000v2 (which, although better, I find too overpriced for what it delivers compared to the Focals), i.e. I would rather purchase the Ananda than the HE-1000 v2 but this may change with the HE-1000se which I haven't auditioned. Yet, taking into account that the Ananda is designed and built in China, where labour, business taxes and parts are so cheap compared to Europe, I would expect the Ananda to be much cheaper than the Elear (designed and built in Europe), yet moneywise the Elear wins again.

Hoping this may help you,
bidn

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #5,334 of 6,742
Hi nigel801,

I don't own the Ananda but tested them at my dealer at the beginning of July.
Here are my impressions.

Where the Ananda clearly bests the Elear:
- comfort (very light and little pressure)
- soundstage (much wider).

Where the Elear clearly bests the Ananda
- robustness (the Ananda feels like if any wrong, unintended motion would break its light, cheap and extended build, it feels like it requires to be handled with the utmost care and to be very well protected)
- bass
- dynamics (the Elear completely crushes the Ananda here)
- drum attacks (the Elear completely crushes the Ananda here)
- speed (the Elear completely crushes the Ananda here)
- level of detail
- SNR (noise floor)
- imaging.
(if the music is fast and complex like metal, the Elear will completely crush the Ananda also in bass, detail and imaging, the Ananda not being able to cope with the combined complexity and speed of the music).

Re. FR (frequency response), I am not too sure about which one would be the closest to neutral, none is neutral, but not bad, still OK (for comparison, not like the Campfire Cascade which is so far off neutral, many mid sounds were masked by its bass and treble when I tested it, the music felt like "segmented" into "objects").

In general I would say that the Ananda is a better choice for listening:
- to some very ethereal music (e.g. some ambient music), taking advantage of its very wide soundstage
- in a very relaxed manner (taking advantage of the fact that it is so lame compared to the Elear).
In all other cases the Elear is the better choice for me.
When I auditioned the Ananda, at the end I gave up listening to my usual music (which I found it couldn't really cope with properly) and ended up listening to some dark ambient (a very slow kind of music) where I could enjoy its very wide soundstage.

A positive thing about the Ananda is that it is much better value for its price than the better HE-1000v2 (which, although better, I find too overpriced for what it delivers compared to the Focals), i.e. I would rather purchase the Ananda than the HE-1000 v2 but this may change with the HE-1000se which I haven't auditioned. Yet, taking into account that the Ananda is designed and built in China, where labour, business taxes and parts are so cheap compared to Europe, I would expect the Ananda to be much cheaper than the Elear (designed and built in Europe), yet moneywise the Elear wins again.

Hoping this may help you,
bidn
Many thanks for your detailed and precise explanation.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #5,335 of 6,742
the focal dealer just replied, were on vacation
he says focal recommends replacing both drivers (without taking a look at the headphones)
pricing will be 348,8€+IVA (around 420€ after taxes)
plus shipping and repair fee
holy crap. shouldn't focal take care of the headphones? it was damaged during normal usage, probably because some production defect

Aug 27, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #5,337 of 6,742
You can buy a
the focal dealer just replied, were on vacation
he says focal recommends replacing both drivers (without taking a look at the headphones)
pricing will be 348,8€+IVA (around 420€ after taxes)
plus shipping and repair fee
holy ****. shouldn't focal take care of the headphones? it was damaged during normal usage, probably because some production defect
That’s just mad. You can get a mint pair of Elears off HF for less. I wouldn’t bother with a repair (but I would get another pair).

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #5,338 of 6,742
I asked again, the guy said he won't try to repair it. he just offers me the replace both drivers option. won't replace just 1 but both, because that's what focal recommends.
I don't know about this, spending 500€ to repair a pair of headphones that cost me 600€ I think (or 650? can't remember)

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #5,339 of 6,742
Well, I’ve joined the Elex pad drop. Looking forward to comparing these with my dekoni fenestrated sheepskin.

Aug 27, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #5,340 of 6,742
I asked again, the guy said he won't try to repair it. he just offers me the replace both drivers option. won't replace just 1 but both, because that's what focal recommends.
I don't know about this, spending 500€ to repair a pair of headphones that cost me 600€ I think (or 650? can't remember)
Just buy a used one here in the forums and then get the Massdrop Elex pads. You'll have two headphones in one: the Elex and the Elear.

As seen here: https://www.verumsonus.com/focal-clear-vs-focal-elear-vs-focal-elex-comparison-review/ measurements show that Elex = Elear with Clear pads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back