Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #5,101 of 6,742
I've heard from people that the Elears have a kind of DSP sound to them, anyone else find this true or are they just speaking porky pies.
Also, people have mentioned that the headphones creak a lot while on the persons head potentially adding unnecessary sounds while listening to music. is there any truth to these complaints or are they unfounded?
DSP is an interesting way to describe the sound. The sound is definitely different. I have the HD800S which I love, but I keep wanting to use the Elears, there is just something about them that I like.

As for creaking, I have not experienced that at all. I do find them more fatiguing. I tend to have issues with my left ear and after my typical 1 hour listening sessions in the evening I tend to have sore ears, likely just an issue with me.

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #5,103 of 6,742
I've heard from people that the Elears have a kind of DSP sound to them, anyone else find this true or are they just speaking porky pies.
Also, people have mentioned that the headphones creak a lot while on the persons head potentially adding unnecessary sounds while listening to music. is there any truth to these complaints or are they unfounded?
Some have creaking, some don’t. Don’t think anyone have noises once they’re placed still on your head and you’re sitting still. Mine only have rattling in the yokes when I «shake» them with my hand, nothing when they’re on my head.
DSP means digital signal processing, so «having a dsp sound» doesn’t really mean anything

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #5,104 of 6,742
my elears creek but i have never heard it while playing music only inbetwwen songs so for me it is a none isuue

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #5,105 of 6,742
My Elears creak, but it's like the headband is shifting between two resting positions, so it's a single creak that pops intermittently when I move enough to cause the shift.

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #5,106 of 6,742
My Elears creak, but it's like the headband is shifting between two resting positions, so it's a single creak that pops intermittently when I move enough to cause the shift.

FWIW, I bet a lot of these "creaking" complaints could be taken care of with a quick shot of a dry teflon spray lube. Stuff works great, sprays slightly wet and dries pretty quick to form a thin film of teflon on the surfaces.

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #5,107 of 6,742
FWIW, I bet a lot of these "creaking" complaints could be taken care of with a quick shot of a dry teflon spray lube. Stuff works great, sprays slightly wet and dries pretty quick to form a thin film of teflon on the surfaces.
Have you tried this yourself? I'm one of the main creaking complainers (lol) but I'm very hesitant to spray stuff that might stink or void warranties on $1000 headphones

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #5,108 of 6,742
Have you tried this yourself? I'm one of the main creaking complainers (lol) but I'm very hesitant to spray stuff that might stink or void warranties on $1000 headphones

Naw, when I had my Elear for about 6 months I never had an issue with it. And my Utopia are fine as well. It's a dry coating, can't imagine it would void your warranty, but you can always contact Focal and inquire.

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #5,109 of 6,742
Can I ask, why do these headphones get a lot of rep by members as most over rated headphones etc?

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #5,110 of 6,742
Can I ask, why do these headphones get a lot of rep by members as most over rated headphones etc?
most headphones do, if you look in the right threads/communities.
Elear has gotten crazy much hype, so obviously the people who don’t like it will feel that way. In reality it’s a great contender in the price range, but won’t suit everyone (as is the case for any headphone). It’s not the «be all end all» that some raving reviews claim.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #5,111 of 6,742
most headphones do, if you look in the right threads/communities.
Elear has gotten crazy much hype, so obviously the people who don’t like it will feel that way. In reality it’s a great contender in the price range, but won’t suit everyone (as is the case for any headphone). It’s not the «be all end all» that some raving reviews claim.
I agree, I'd like to pick a pair up, but im also a bit sceptical because I know there are better out there. I already own a pair of DT1990 Pro's and Fostex 900mk2s. and to me thoes sound amazing. one is very open, airy, clean and precise. the other is closed but has more bass and more warm and fuller with the same amount of detail and sound stage. two beautiful headphones and for me possibly endgame. (i'm still on the search for a better amp/dac combo lol, i think thats most peoples focus after they get good headphones.)
but then all my friends that are into audio (2 ppl) basically suck Focals b*lls saying their elear, clear and utopia are the best on the market now unless you go for ludicrous amounts of money and buy like the abyss or crazy 50k headphones.
I try not to get swept up in the lure of "more expensive is better" sometimes you can tell where the quality goes with more expensive headphones, but thats not always the case. I heard the Mr.Speakers Ether Flow C and didnt like them at all compared to my 900mk2.
what I personally do, and hope most people in the audio consumer game do as well, get your hands on a pair either at a show or at a store, sit down with your source(dap or otherwise) and listen to your music for a good while and decide how it is.(also sit for a good 10min with no music, just for feeling it on your head and ears.)

sorry for the ramble lol, but to cut it short TLDR version, dont belive hype, try it for yourself. if you like it, get it, if not dont. you dont owe justification to anyone if you dont like it.

Apr 14, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #5,112 of 6,742
DSP is an interesting way to describe the sound. The sound is definitely different. I have the HD800S which I love, but I keep wanting to use the Elears, there is just something about them that I like.

As for creaking, I have not experienced that at all. I do find them more fatiguing. I tend to have issues with my left ear and after my typical 1 hour listening sessions in the evening I tend to have sore ears, likely just an issue with me.
I usually get a hurt spot on the top of my head whenver i wear the B&W P7s for very long sessions it bugs the crap out of me because I do like their sound. but when i wear the DT1990 pros i can wear them ALL day and 0 issues at all with headband, ears, heat.
the only complaint i can say about the DT1990 pros maybe a tad strong calmping but that because i dont use them often, maybe only on weekends or when the home is empty so i dont get background noises.

i dont have any headphones that creak, and i have some at a few price ranges from "cheap" to "mid tier" and it would bother the heck out of me if i invested in a "higher tier" set and it creaked a lot... for some reason it would just concern me..

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #5,113 of 6,742
All new headphones get some hype surrounding them when they come out. I think the Elear was one of the few headphones that deserved a bit of hype. Are they the end all be all of headphones, of course not, but they are one of the best you can get for the money, especially now that they're around $700 new. With a new driver design and a dynamic sound not heard from many other headphones in its class, I think some of the hype was legit.

Apr 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #5,115 of 6,742
i think the mids sound wonky on the Elear - especially when compared to the DT1990. audeze lcd-x or xc would do you pretty well. you could also try the lcd-2c - haven't heard those yet though...

Describe wonky

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back