Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #5,131 of 6,742
Thank you for your impressions. I am intrigued by your comments on Sonarworks reference 4. Do you utilize Headphone Edition, Studio Edition or Premium Bundle. And whatever edition you are using, why do you feel it's best for you?
TIA
I use the headphone edition, since I’m currently only using it with headphones. I am looking into room correction for my 2-channel too though, both sonarworks and dirac live.
I use the headphone edition since it has all the features related to headphone calibration. They also have a cheaper app called true-fi that does the same thing, but with less features for customization.

Now, when I got home yesterday after my demo session and listened to the eq’d Elear, it sounded duller and less dynamic than the Clear did. That could however be because my ears were tired after a long day of serious listening, followed by a 3hour powerlifting session of slamming wheights loudly into the ground... I think this is the most likely reason, since the Clear did not «blow me away» or anything upon first listen, but just sounded exactly like my eq’d elear.
will report back when I have time to listen to the Elear with fresh ears!

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #5,132 of 6,742
I'm another Sonarworks user. I never found anything wrong with the Elear, at all, but Sonarworks calibration does step it up! Also use it on my Shure 1540 and it's the same situation with them.

I wonder at what point in the transition from regular ol' music-fan to audiophile the shift happens? This is the shift from where we stop enjoying music for it's collective presentation and start analysing the individual sounds... I definitely preferred music before I focussed on its parts
oooh.gif

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #5,133 of 6,742
I use the headphone edition, since I’m currently only using it with headphones. I am looking into room correction for my 2-channel too though, both sonarworks and dirac live.
I use the headphone edition since it has all the features related to headphone calibration. They also have a cheaper app called true-fi that does the same thing, but with less features for customization.

Now, when I got home yesterday after my demo session and listened to the eq’d Elear, it sounded duller and less dynamic than the Clear did. That could however be because my ears were tired after a long day of serious listening, followed by a 3hour powerlifting session of slamming wheights loudly into the ground... I think this is the most likely reason, since the Clear did not «blow me away» or anything upon first listen, but just sounded exactly like my eq’d elear.
will report back when I have time to listen to the Elear with fresh ears!

It's funny putting two and two together between the forums and other groups (recognize you from FB).

I'm heading out soon with the Utopia and Hugo 2 to checkout the Clear and see how they stack-up against the Elear. Many reports mention better detail retrieval on the Clear vs Elear, but I'm mostly interested in how well it maintains the dynamics and if it's fixed the mid suckout I hated.

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #5,134 of 6,742
It's funny putting two and two together between the forums and other groups (recognize you from FB).

I'm heading out soon with the Utopia and Hugo 2 to checkout the Clear and see how they stack-up against the Elear. Many reports mention better detail retrieval on the Clear vs Elear, but I'm mostly interested in how well it maintains the dynamics and if it's fixed the mid suckout I hated.
Looking forward to hearing your impression!
I think the detail retrieval upgrade is mostly (if not entirely) down to the improved tuning. Like I said, it feels like lifting a veil. I think you’ll like the Clear!

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #5,135 of 6,742

Dynamics? Lots of that even at lower levels

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Apr 22, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #5,136 of 6,742
Finally nailed it, the difference between an Elear with Sonarworks and an Elear without. Always found it hard to identify what made the improvements and now, just listening to AC/DC while switching it on and off, I've got it. The attack in crunching guitars. With Sonarworks off they sounds muffled and lose the bite, with it on the bite is there in spades and it's awesome. There are other alterations to higher up in the spectrum that make them sparkle ever so slightly more, but the contrast on the guitars is the most striking.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #5,137 of 6,742
......I never found anything wrong with the Elear, at all,.....................

Me too. The Focal Elears are an amazing can for the price. I also have the Clear and the Elear more than holds it's own against the Clear. I listen to the Focal cans just as much as as I listen the the Senn HD 800 S's. When I want soundstage, I pick the Senns. When I want dynamics, I pick the Focals.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #5,138 of 6,742
After spending yesterday with the entire Focal line-up (driven by Chord Hugo and when I wanted to, Ayon HA-3) I wrote this in the FB-group, thought some of you’d want to read it :)

Now on to the Clear:
Compared to the stock elear sound, it’s like lifting a veil (cliché I know). Just take away all the excess flabbyness of the Elear, tighten it up, bring back the 4kHz-edge/bite, and you’ve got Clear. This headphone does not have weaknesses! Sure you can find a wider soundstage, sharper imaging, deeper bass or more airy treble, but usually at a much higher price or at the cost of other qualities in sound. The Clear is damn near a perfect all-rounder.
Is it worth a 500$ upgrade? Yes, I actually think so, unless....
I’m personally an Elear owner, and with the use of Sonarworks reference 4 I even/smooth out the FR to make it sound more balanced. How does it stack up against Clear?
They’re f*cking IDENTICAL. I honestly don’t think I could tell them apart in a blind test.

So if you want the cheapest solution, go for Elear and a sonarworks subscription. This does however demand that you use a pc/mac as listening source.
If you have the cash though, you can get the Clear which sounds perfect right out of the box, and comes with much nicer accessories. If I had been making my purchase today, I would’ve picked the Clear I think. But when I’m able to use sonarworks, upgrading from elear is not worth it for me.
Nice to see someone actually compare the eq'd Elear to the Clear! I had a feeling this would be the case. I use True-fi with the Elear - I only listen to the Elear on my computer system. It's a match made in heaven, at least to me. I wish True-Fi was more seamless though.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #5,139 of 6,742
My worries about the eq’d Elear vs Clear seems to have been a false alarm. With fresh ears and a little adjustment to the sonarworks settings, my Elear again sounds just as great as the Clear did.
Currently using the Sonarworks «custom» feature with -3dB bass boost and -4dB treble tilt. I feel like around this setting is pretty optimal between using the strengths of the elear’s drivers (not altering the stock FR too much) but still getting it really well balanced.

May ask the shop to let me borrow the Clear home, and do a proper comparison between it and my eq’d Elear in my own home over several days

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #5,141 of 6,742
My worries about the eq’d Elear vs Clear seems to have been a false alarm. With fresh ears and a little adjustment to the sonarworks settings, my Elear again sounds just as great as the Clear did.
Currently using the Sonarworks «custom» feature with -3dB bass boost and -4dB treble tilt. I feel like around this setting is pretty optimal between using the strengths of the elear’s drivers (not altering the stock FR too much) but still getting it really well balanced.

May ask the shop to let me borrow the Clear home, and do a proper comparison between it and my eq’d Elear in my own home over several days

I also use 3db for the bass
wink.gif

jZ2sf5h.png

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #5,142 of 6,742
I also use 3db for the bass
wink.gif

jZ2sf5h.png
I actually decrease the bass by 3dB, as I feel like the drivers handle it better with slightly more clarity and punch (together with the treble decrease/tilt, it overall mimics the elear’s stock response more).
But I have used it with boosted bass aswell, which brings lots of fun, powerful and deep bass!

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #5,143 of 6,742
I don't get the whole "wonky" sound of the mids some people talk about. I've never thought the mids sound to distant or sucked out as some describe. The only EQ'ing I do is in the bass and treble and I've never felt the need to do anything to the mids. Personally, I think the mids sound very good on the Elear and sound as good as they do on the Hifiman 400 series of headphones and even as good as the mids on the HD600. Maybe it's because of my setup or the fact I use Flac files for the most part but the mids have never been a problem for me at all.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #5,144 of 6,742
I don't get the whole "wonky" sound of the mids some people talk about. I've never thought the mids sound to distant or sucked out as some describe. The only EQ'ing I do is in the bass and treble and I've never felt the need to do anything to the mids. Personally, I think the mids sound very good on the Elear and sound as good as they do on the Hifiman 400 series of headphones and even as good as the mids on the HD600. Maybe it's because of my setup or the fact I use Flac files for the most part but the mids have never been a problem for me at all.

I did a couple hour comparison of the lineup last Friday and it's pretty apparent when switching between the three that Elear has some weirdness in the mids, mostly the recessed area.

It really stood out when listening to "Young Americans" by Bowie, the sax sounded like it was off stage compared to the Clear and especially compared to the Utopia.

Apr 24, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #5,145 of 6,742
Not everyone perceives it that much, for me it’s not an issue although i feel like eq’ing it is an improvement.
Using a dac/amp that leans out the sound or just doesn’t add any warmth, can help «clean it up». Shouldn’t really have anything to do with what resolution your files are. I’m mostly streaming Tidal HiFi and Spotify Premium

Users who are viewing this thread

Back