Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #4,006 of 6,742
Thanks for all the feedback! I'll be selling stuff soon (HE500, for everything it does great, just gives me a headache after a while to ), still deciding between the Elear and Atticus.
Has anyone swapped pads oon the Elears? It's been talked about elsewhere that pads can change the sound, particularly the upper mid dip.

Sep 17, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #4,007 of 6,742
Sep 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #4,008 of 6,742
Sep 18, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #4,009 of 6,742
Thanks for all the feedback! I'll be selling stuff soon (HE500, for everything it does great, just gives me a headache after a while to ), still deciding between the Elear and Atticus.
Has anyone swapped pads oon the Elears? It's been talked about elsewhere that pads can change the sound, particularly the upper mid dip.
from my memory, elear is in the same way of he-500 but more efficient and easy to drive. but i repeat, it´s from my memory. i had he-500 some time ago and i really loved this headphone

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #4,010 of 6,742
from my memory, elear is in the same way of he-500 but more efficient and easy to drive. but i repeat, it´s from my memory. i had he-500 some time ago and i really loved this headphone

In my opinion a well amped HE-500 is better than Elear, much more linear in sound without the upper midrange dip, but the weight and comfort are not as good :/

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #4,011 of 6,742
In my opinion a well amped HE-500 is better than Elear, much more linear in sound without the upper midrange dip, but the weight and comfort are not as good :/
i had some time ago balanced with the beta-22. at the same time i had the he-6 and i used more the he-500. probably is better compared elear like you say, but not huge difference

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #4,012 of 6,742
Sep 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #4,013 of 6,742
Have you tried using any other damping materials successfully? The charcoal foam seems to be hard to find locally for me, would something like a napkin or toilet paper work?
I've tried putting angled HM5 pleathers on my Elear, but it sounded thin and very unnatural to me. No damping material.
Might try again with some damping material and ZMF lambskin pads.

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #4,014 of 6,742
Have you tried using any other damping materials successfully? The charcoal foam seems to be hard to find locally for me, would something like a napkin or toilet paper work?
I've tried putting angled HM5 pleathers on my Elear, but it sounded thin and very unnatural to me. No damping material.
Might try again with some damping material and ZMF lambskin pads.

Nope, tried this and liked the sound, so I've stuck with it.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Sep 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #4,015 of 6,742
From what I've heard, the Utopia's are more balanced. Tighter, lighter bass, not that upper-mid dip, better imaging, layering etc. I'll try and get a demo session with them the next time I visit my local dealer.
+1! this is exactly how I hear it as well. When you/everyone demo's them (i'm not telling you all what to do, just a suggestion!) make sure you pick songs that can REALLY work out a driver. Test out its speed (I usually like to do that with harmonica, see how well it can recreate that sound). Use a classical piece which has a huge band with a lot instruments being played at once. Instrument separation is a big difference between the 2... The Utopia is a monster for being able to pick out individual instruments and be able to focus on them individually if you choose.

These are just some things that will make the differences more noticeable between the Elear and Utopia. A lot of people get caught up in the similarities and have a harder time seeing the differences. They are easily there, but depending on what you listen to for a short demo it might not be as profound.

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #4,017 of 6,742
Sep 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #4,018 of 6,742
cables really change the sound on the elears? the only time I've noticed a cable changes the sound was after replacing the fidelios x1 cable.
with the elear I've used the original and both of the cables of the denon d600 and can't really tell a difference

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #4,019 of 6,742
I have the Elear for about a year and I got a Utopia 2 days ago. Based on my experience with the Elear, it will take 200+ hours for Utopia to sound their best.

With that in mind, here are some early impressions:
It is clear from the moment you put them on that the tonality is different. The Utopia is more neutral and does not have the upper-mid range or lower treble dip. This is more agreeable to my ears/taste and one of the main reasons I bought them. Violins sound more realistic. I was impressed how the Elear rendered Maria Calas' voice but the Utopia does even better with female vocals.

It is also clear that the utopia sounds more open and has better instrument separation.

For now, I have been driving them both with a mojo. Both headphones have the same sensitivity but the utopia sounds louder when driven at the same volume level from mojo. Is it really louder or is it my idea? How can I check? Is it because Utopia paints a more vibrant picture of the music and is more transparent and articulate or is it because the beryllium driver is 135mg and the aluminum-magnesium 150mg?

Two days into it, I am really happy with the purchase. Does utopia blow away the elear? It is early for me to say but right out of the box, I would say it does not. Elear is really good. I will try to compare the two in the future.

Well, I just ordered the Utopia too, should be here later this week...clearly I need help... :)

@myhalis - what adapter or cable are using with Utopia to drive them with the Mojo? I'll use my Mojo until the WA8 arrives (hopefully later this week too!), and then try both the Elear and Utopia with the WA8.

P.S. Still have they very good Ether C Flows for sale :wink:...and the P9s...make me a reasonable offer, pics in the for sale forum :)

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #4,020 of 6,742
Well, I just ordered the Utopia too, should be here later this week...clearly I need help... :)

@myhalis - what adapter or cable are using with Utopia to drive them with the Mojo? I'll use my Mojo until the WA8 arrives (hopefully later this week too!), and then try both the Elear and Utopia with the WA8.

P.S. Still have they very good Ether C Flows for sale :wink:...and the P9s...make me a reasonable offer, pics in the for sale forum :)

A simple 1/4 to 3.5 mm adapter by Grado. https://bhpho.to/2w3OWa9

Nothing fancy here which is fine, I think. I am tempted to get a Nordost Heimdall 2 but I will wait until I decide on a better amp/dac first. The WA8 should be great with the utopia. I prefer portable gear too.

So far I found the utopia a little bit uncomfortable and heavy. Maybe the headband will adjust better to my head. I don't remember having any comfort issues with the elear.

you better get the adapter soon before the utopia arrives....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back