Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #3,736 of 6,742
Noob questions,
I have the odac/o2 combo, power is good enough to drive the elear, hd650 (hell even to watch TV shows I can plug 2 headphones at the same time to watch with my wife, usually she likes the hd598 better for the size and weight). I'd like to upgrade the dac unit to get better clarity. Is the bifrost or for example the MOJO a clear step up from the odac?
Bifrost multibit + o2 would be a dumb combo?
Odac on par with Modi 2 roughly, I think? If so, even the Modi Multibit would be an upgrade. If you get the Mojo you could drive the Elear directly and sell your O2-amp aswell, might just be better than bimby+O2. Or get a schiit multibit dac now and aim for the Jot as your next upgrade.

Aug 11, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #3,737 of 6,742
Noob questions,
I have the odac/o2 combo, power is good enough to drive the elear, hd650 (hell even to watch TV shows I can plug 2 headphones at the same time to watch with my wife, usually she likes the hd598 better for the size and weight). I'd like to upgrade the dac unit to get better clarity. Is the bifrost or for example the MOJO a clear step up from the odac?

Instead of the Bifrost, I think that you would be Ok with the mimby. Btw, I would highly suggest the Audio-gd NFB-11.28, it really sounds good with the Elear.

Aug 11, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,738 of 6,742
I don't mind waiting and upgrading bit by bit. I've had this combo for around 4 years and I just upgraded the headphones. The bifrost is a bit expensive but if it's really that good I'd do it. I'll read about that audio gd thx
Edit (What lol)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #3,739 of 6,742
After the Elear I'd probably be looking at Mojo as the next upgrade. Thoughts on Mojo and Elear coupling?

I reall like the combo but I must admit that I lack experience in comparing it with other DACs/Amps. I also bought a used Nordost Blue Heaven from a lovely member here on High-Fi, which made the Mojo/Elear Combo shine even more. It also made it more portable due to its decreased cable length and weigth and increased cable-flexibility.

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #3,742 of 6,742
Hi

I bought the Meze 99 Classics back in March to replace my B&W P5 1st gen and running them through Vali2/Modi2 and mostly listen to jazz, fusion, rock, prog rock, funk, soul/rnb and motown. I'm also a bassist and will always have my ears tuned to the drummer and bassist but not looking for silly overpowered bass.
Balance, clarity and warmth. And by warmth I mean I'm not into modern hi-fi sound signatures.

I searched the internet a lot and couldn't find direct comparisons between the Meze 99 Classics and Elear. Does anyone own both and willing to share their thoughts? I'm looking at the Elear for the open back sound experience ... that's what I'm looking at at the moment and of course a big step up from the rather impressive Meze. Will the Elear provide 3x the listening experience the Meze offers?
saying 3X the listening experience is difficult just because its too subjective ha. BUT the Elear is a big step up from the Meze 99... I really like the Meze 99 for its sound, looks and price so don't think I am talking bad about it. The Elear just has this immediacy to it that makes it special. It is a very engaging sound and will have better separation and dynamics then the Meze 99. The way they compare would be the warmer sound sig.

Also by "Balance, clarity and warmth" I think you will be very pleased...

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #3,744 of 6,742
Did Matt ever respond to your email? I sent him one almost two weeks ago but never got a response.
Yeah, turns out te reply ended up in my spam inbox :S so check there. He wrote a post in the Forza thread less than a week ago, where he apologized for the long response time and said that all emails would be answered that day.

Aug 12, 2017 at 7:38 AM Post #3,745 of 6,742
Yeah, turns out te reply ended up in my spam inbox :S so check there. He wrote a post in the Forza thread less than a week ago, where he apologized for the long response time and said that all emails would be answered that day.

Ya I saw that. I checked my spam and nothing from him there. :triportsad:

Aug 12, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #3,747 of 6,742
Noob questions,
Some of us, (and also me very soon), are using the audeze deckard. I also had an odac/o2 before.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #3,748 of 6,742
My Elear's right driver died :frowning2:
The last time I used it, it was working fine. Next time no sound from 1 side.
Cable switch did not help. Same side dead.

The dealer told me it has to be shipped to Focal.
Any experience how long a repair takes? (From Belgium).
Does Focal repair or switch with refurbished units?

Aug 12, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #3,750 of 6,742
Btw, I would highly suggest the Audio-gd NFB-11.28, it really sounds good with the Elear.

Could you give brief impressions of why the NFB 11.28 pairs well with the Elear?
TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back