Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #3,661 of 6,742
Honestly, I don't think headphones get much BETTER than the Elear. Sure, you can get DIFFERENT, something that fits your preference, but something subjectively different... i don't know.

Sure, the soundstage and imaging on the Elear is not astonishing, an HD800S is far better at that. But the overall presentation of music, engagement and the ability to make one emotional... again, it's preference, my preference is the Elear

I've even heard the Hifiman Susvara, which is INSANELY good. The clarity, soundstage, dynamism... One of very few headphones I think is better than the Elear. But still, there are areas where I prefer the Elear. I'm not saying that you should buy the Elear over the 4000$ Susvara, the Susvara is obviously the technically superior 'phone, I'm just saying that at this level, it's mostly about personal preference.

What do I love about the Elear?
Well, it's a great all-rounder. To me, music through the Elear just sounds RIGHT. it's so realistically dynamic, so natural, it's easy to just get lost in the music. Tonal balance is just right to me, except for the 4k region which is a little too recessed for me. A small eq notch (3dB, 3Q at 4kHz) fixes this though.
the Elear just hits the sweet spot so well for me. I'm so happy I found it.
never had the hd-800s but had two hd-800 with black dragon and cardas cable. amps little-dot mkVi with nos tubes and balanced beta-22. yes the soundstage is great but a drill for my ears.
of course exist better headphones but the elear is an honest headphone and built very well
you wrote about susvara. when i had at the same time the hifiman he-6 and he-500, the first was superior but the second more envolving
for soundstage i prefere my speakers LOL
of course IMHO

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #3,662 of 6,742
never had the hd-800s but had two hd-800 with black dragon and cardas cable. amps little-dot mkVi with nos tubes and balanced beta-22. yes the soundstage is great but a drill for my ears.
of course exist better headphones but the elear is an honest headphone and built very well
you wrote about susvara. when i had at the same time the hifiman he-6 and he-500, the first was superior but the second more envolving
for soundstage i prefere my speakers LOL
of course IMHO
Agree about the speaker part, in fact that was my first thought when listening to the HD800S. "Yeah the soundstage is great, but my speakers throw an even larger, more precise stage with a more pleasing sound signature". The Elear however, is an entirely different presentation of music.

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,663 of 6,742
I agree with you guys the Elear's really do shine I've been stuck on these hp's ever since I got them 7 months ago, definitely among my favorites..enjoy

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #3,664 of 6,742
Your search is over? Is that possible? :) Good luck with that :wink:

The search is never really over, is it? For now, I'm perfectly happy with this headphone. I mainly listen to 90's grunge/metal, electronica and hip hop, and I feel like the Elear is the perfect headphone for all those styles of music. Even the little bit of cinematic music like Hans Zimmer I listen to sounds great with the Elear. I've never been a fanboy for anything before but this headphone is the closest I've come to be one, that's for sure.

Aug 1, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #3,665 of 6,742
i went from the mrspeakers aeon, sold after five days. the first impact with elear was indifferent. after some days, i like more this headphone. i bought used for 650€ so i think that it´s a big deal. now i´m waiting for the new amp modules for my ibasso dx-200. after many headphones, i think that the elearis a really good compromise for the price. honestly i´m curious about utopia
The Utopia is definitely a step up from Elear... BUT I don't find the Utopia as warm as the Elear (the Elear is just a little warm to me btw). Some people have said on here that they didn't hear much of a difference between the 2. There is a big difference in regards to sound staging and also instrument separation especially when the music gets reallllly fast and a lot is happening. The Utopia is able to get me to enjoy genres that I don't listen to a lot (classical) They are so natural sounding... The similarity that I think a lot of people get caught up on originally (me included) is that they both present the sound with such immediacy. Which is why I think people don't realize the differences right away.
The search is never really over, is it? For now, I'm perfectly happy with this headphone. I mainly listen to 90's grunge/metal, electronica and hip hop, and I feel like the Elear is the perfect headphone for all those styles of music. Even the little bit of cinematic music like Hans Zimmer I listen to sounds great with the Elear. I've never been a fanboy for anything before but this headphone is the closest I've come to be one, that's for sure.
Thats whats up. I think for the genres you quoted they would easily fit the bill... It's difficult (especially in my position) when you love something that comes out in audio and you don't want to sound like a fanboy ha. It happens though! I hope you keep enjoying them for many years to come.

Aug 2, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #3,666 of 6,742
So right now I have a gungnir multibit feeding into an Asgard 2 for my Elear. Would an amp like the Mjolnir 2 be a significant step up in clarity / sound quality? I listen to a little of everything (classic rock, alt / indie rock, electronic, hip hop, synth pop) and always FLAC or DSD. Also I tend to prefer solid state over tubes (at least that's what I concluded when I had a Valhalla for several months), so would prob go w/ the LISST tubes. I don't mind spending the money if the advantages are tangible. Certainly the Asgard 2 puts out enough power, even in low gain mode.

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #3,667 of 6,742
So right now I have a gungnir multibit feeding into an Asgard 2 for my Elear. Would an amp like the Mjolnir 2 be a significant step up in clarity / sound quality? I listen to a little of everything (classic rock, alt / indie rock, electronic, hip hop, synth pop) and always FLAC or DSD. Also I tend to prefer solid state over tubes (at least that's what I concluded when I had a Valhalla for several months), so would prob go w/ the LISST tubes. I don't mind spending the money if the advantages are tangible. Certainly the Asgard 2 puts out enough power, even in low gain mode.
I wouldn't go for the Mjolnir if you're gonna use it as a SS amp, as it's primarily a tube amp. From what I've heard, the Jot is better as SS than the Mjolnir, especially at clarity. Jot is also a great pairing with the Elear imo, haven't heard the Mjolnir though. Other options are the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, or something from Audio-GD or something?
Personally I wouldn't pair the Elear with a tube amp, as they're warm enough on their own (imo).

Aug 2, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3,668 of 6,742
I wouldn't go for the Mjolnir if you're gonna use it as a SS amp, as it's primarily a tube amp. From what I've heard, the Jot is better as SS than the Mjolnir, especially at clarity. Jot is also a great pairing with the Elear imo, haven't heard the Mjolnir though. Other options are the Cavalli Liquid Carbon, or something from Audio-GD or something?
Personally I wouldn't pair the Elear with a tube amp, as they're warm enough on their own (imo).

I totally missed on the Jotunheim on the Schiit webpage :) I'll definitely look into that; without the DAC, $400 is reasonable. Will look into the other two you mentioned as well - thanks!

Aug 3, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #3,670 of 6,742
So I've been listening to my new Focal Elears for a few days now. My Schiit order of the Gumby and Jot are backordered so I have to use my old Heed canamp and motherboard dac for the time being. I won't type any detailed impressions on the SQ because I don't want to do the Elears any injustice without a proper setup but so far they're a big step up from my AKG701's and Beyerdynamic 880 600ohm.

I'm impressed with the build quality and packaging -- all top notch. It looks and feels premium. That said, these cans weigh a ton and are going to take some getting used too.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #3,671 of 6,742
So I've been listening to my new Focal Elears for a few days now. My Schiit order of the Gumby and Jot are backordered so I have to use my old Heed canamp and motherboard dac for the time being. I won't type any detailed impressions on the SQ because I don't want to do the Elears any injustice without a proper setup but so far they're a big step up from my AKG701's and Beyerdynamic 880 600ohm.

I'm impressed with the build quality and packaging -- all top notch. It looks and feels premium. That said, these cans weigh a ton and are going to take some getting used too.
It's funny, whenever you listen to so many different brands, the weight between them becomes less and less of an issue compared to when you first start out. since you were used to the Beyer I can understand why you noticed a weight difference. I think in a short time your neck will get stronger! Have fun! :)

Aug 3, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #3,672 of 6,742

They felt a little heavy initially for me too, coming from HD650's. You get used to it over time. The cable is pretty heavy as well, switching to a more lightwheight cable would help too.

Aug 3, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #3,673 of 6,742
They felt a little heavy initially for me too, coming from HD650's. You get used to it over time. The cable is pretty heavy as well, switching to a more lightwheight cable would help too.

Exactly the same here. I miss my 650s for that a tad :wink:

Aug 3, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #3,674 of 6,742
I've shown this on the Utopia thread but for those that want the Elear and/or Utopia but have had trouble with the cost, here is a cool opportunity starting September 1st.

What's really cool is the trade in requirement is something almost anyone can qualify for.

IMG_0552.JPG

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 3, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #3,675 of 6,742
Ok well I ordered the jot and it's shipped so will give that a shot. Also ordered blue dragon balanced ICs for gumby -> jot and blue dragon balanced cable for the elear. The cables out of curiosity about balanced cables. Currently using MIT CVT2s so will save some space at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back