Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #3,617 of 6,742
Has any of you fine people EQ'ed your Elears? I would love for some recommendations on how exactly they could be made more neutral (I am looking at you you, 4k dip...).

Jul 18, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #3,618 of 6,742
Has any of you fine people EQ'ed your Elears? I would love for some recommendations on how exactly they could be made more neutral (I am looking at you you, 4k dip...).

The only EQ'ing I do to my Elear is in the bass, I'll go up about 2.5 to 3 db just to give electronic music and hip hop that little extra thump & rumble. Other than that I don't think you'd need to EQ them as the highs and mids sound perfect just the way they are imo.

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #3,619 of 6,742
I sometimes use a 3dB boost at 4kHz, with Q-value 3. Gives a little more edge and presence to instruments and vocals, without sacrificing smoothness. Any more than 3dB or higher Q brings in a little harshness in vocals imo.

If you do a search in the thread, someone posted settings to make them pretty neutral, however I didn't like that sound.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #3,620 of 6,742
I got the opportunity to hear these last weekend through a friend who just bought them. They sounded very similar to the Sennheiser HD650 that he also owns, actually couldn't really tell them apart. Ergonomically very annoying though, was really put off by how heavy they were, along with how thick & heavy the cable was. Pretty sure I'll never buy one myself for that alone.

Jul 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #3,621 of 6,742
I got the opportunity to hear these last weekend through a friend who just bought them. They sounded very similar to the Sennheiser HD650 that he also owns, actually couldn't really tell them apart. Ergonomically very annoying though, was really put off by how heavy they were, along with how thick & heavy the cable was. Pretty sure I'll never buy one myself for that alone.
you could always buy a lighter cable, and get used to the wheight, but sounds like this just isn't the right headphone for you. Weird that you couldn't tell them apart from HD650 though :p

Maybe you would like something like HD800S or HEX better?

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #3,622 of 6,742

I agree tonally they resemble the HD650 but if you really listen to the Elear it sounds quite a bit better than the HD650 imo. I had the HD600 for a while before I sold them and comparing them to the Elear they don't sound nearly as dynamic and the depth of field the Elear has blows the 600 and 650 away. I'll listen to my Nighthawk which I still really like and think to myself "man these sound as good as my Elear", until I go and listen to the Elear again to remind me that isn't so. Not saying the Nighthawks aren't good it's just that the Elear is that good, to me at least.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #3,623 of 6,742
I agree tonally they resemble the HD650 but if you really listen to the Elear it sounds quite a bit better than the HD650 imo. I had the HD600 for a while before I sold them and comparing them to the Elear they don't sound nearly as dynamic and the depth of field the Elear has blows the 600 and 650 away. I'll listen to my Nighthawk which I still really like and think to myself "man these sound as good as my Elear", until I go and listen to the Elear again to remind me that isn't so. Not saying the Nighthawks aren't good it's just that the Elear is that good, to me at least.
In your opinion, what do you like about the Elear, in comparison with the Nighthawk ?

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #3,624 of 6,742
What confuses me about the HD650 comparisons is that my HD650s (black grill, old style) are super laid back and not engaging, whereas I hear so many reports about how engaging the Elear is.

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #3,626 of 6,742
Jul 19, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #3,628 of 6,742
How then is it like the HD650?

I also own the 650's to my ears the Elear's are far better in every way, there's really no comparison to me, remember it's all very subjective. My Elear's have very much spoiled me with my other hp's. I looking forward to hearing the Aeon's. Right now I'm enjoying my he-560's.
Anyone thinking of buying the Elear's you can't go wrong with that purchase simply the best 1k I've ever spent on hp's..enjoy

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #3,629 of 6,742
I sometimes use a 3dB boost at 4kHz, with Q-value 3. Gives a little more edge and presence to instruments and vocals, without sacrificing smoothness. Any more than 3dB or higher Q brings in a little harshness in vocals imo.

If you do a search in the thread, someone posted settings to make them pretty neutral, however I didn't like that sound.

Thanks for the tipp. I seem unable to correctly use the search function... Any way you could point me to the page? Thanks and all the best

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #3,630 of 6,742
My EQ to make the Focal Elear sound neutral (I use ToneBoosters Equalizer with VSTHost for a system-wide EQ)

1. Low shelf: 200hz, -3.0dB, 0.71 Q
  2. Analog bell: 2300hz, -3.0dB, 2.26 Q
  3. Analog bell: 4800hz, 6.8dB, 3.04 Q
  4. Analog bell: 9000hz, -3.1dB, 2.75 Q

Thanks for the tipp. I seem unable to correctly use the search function... Any way you could point me to the page? Thanks and all the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back