Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #3,601 of 6,742
I tried to find a place to demo these anywhere near Salt Lake City and there's just nothing. The closest places that might have demos are Boise and Grand Junction. Both are a 3-4 hour drive away.

Jul 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3,602 of 6,742
About the headphone weight, Z1R 385g pretty comfortable, I came from lcd-x 600g.
Recently, I got new LCD-3 (548g) seems ok to me, so i guess that Elear 450g is fine too,
Any one tried Kennerton Odin (660g), that is almost 1.5 lb.

Jul 15, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #3,603 of 6,742
el20170715_154951.jpg
The EL stack really good pairing with Elear. Way better compare to my portable setup (Elear + DX200), the EL stack really show the true potential of the Elear. The high is more sparkling without sounding harsh, the detail and resolution is top notch, the bass impact and texture is really good too.

No need to spend thousand of dollars to buy AMP/DAC to make Elear sounding so good, I'm happy with my purchase.

Jul 15, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,604 of 6,742
Had a demo-session today with the Chord Hugo, Oppo HA-1 and Jot+Bifrost. I will be getting the Hugo, great pairing with the Elear IMO. I posted more detailed impressions in the Hugo and Jot thread if anyone is interested.

Also got the chance to try the HD800S and Oppo PM1 head to head vs. my Elear, on the Oppo HA-1. Just a cuick A/B/C-comparison, but I'm 110% sure I made the right decision when I got the Elear. Far more satisfying than the HD800S' sound signature, although that's purely preference.
The Oppo PM1 I didn't like at all. Just too polite, nothing really stood out or impressed me in any way. I actually think the Elear is hands down better at everything. Of course, my impressions might (and probably would) change when doing a real A/B-test, but yeah... Even the guy in the store admitted he liked the Elear far better lol.

To summarize: The Hugo sounds great with the Elear, and the Elear is simply awesome!

Jul 15, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #3,605 of 6,742
I have a small head. The comfort issues of the HE-500 have more to do with the weight and how poorly it's distributed on the HE-500.

Sorry to go "off Elear topic" a bit but if you like the HE-500 you can improve the comfort with a Lohb comfort/suspension pad (he is a member who sells them), along with Vegan pads - made a world of difference on my HE-6 and HE-400 (which I still have an use regularly). Really kicks up the comfort a few notches. And if you drive the HE-500 from speaker taps it is a really great headphone. I drove my HE-6 and currently still drive my HE-400 that way from vintage amps.

Jul 16, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #3,606 of 6,742
I wonder if these would be a good counterpoint to the HE-500 where the Aeon would be too similar.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #3,607 of 6,742
Sorry to go "off Elear topic" a bit but if you like the HE-500 you can improve the comfort with a Lohb comfort/suspension pad (he is a member who sells them), along with Vegan pads - made a world of difference on my HE-6 and HE-400 (which I still have an use regularly). Really kicks up the comfort a few notches. And if you drive the HE-500 from speaker taps it is a really great headphone. I drove my HE-6 and currently still drive my HE-400 that way from vintage amps.

FYI, I don't think the Vegan pads are available anymore, many on the M1060 thread where trying to get them since it seem to help the sound quality but within the last week they all say its been discontinued

Jul 17, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #3,608 of 6,742
How does the Elear compare to the HD650's? I'm possibly looking at an upgrade to my 650's. Been using them daily for a couple years and I love the signature. I got some HE400i's a while back (got them for a solid price) but they feel more like a side grade. Would the Elear be a true upgrade?

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #3,610 of 6,742
yes, truly. the HD650 is still a favorite but the Elear bring a bit more magic to my life. happy to own both but definitely consider the Elear an upgrade. if you like bass...

I do like bass! I tend to EQ up the sub bass range a few dB and also the treble on the HD650's just slightly. What I love about the HD650 is how smooth and laid back the presentation is. Just enough bass, a brilliant mid range, and smooth highs for easily listening over long sessions.

I'm looking for a headphone that does things just a little bit better, maybe a bit more extended sub bass, more detailed highs, etc.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #3,611 of 6,742
How does the Elear compare to the HD650's? I'm possibly looking at an upgrade to my 650's. Been using them daily for a couple years and I love the signature. I got some HE400i's a while back (got them for a solid price) but they feel more like a side grade. Would the Elear be a true upgrade?

Depends on your meaning of upgrade. Elears are certainly more engaging. They are not relaxing headphones. The bass makes you want to bop along. Stick to your HD650 if you want relaxing laid back sound. Elears are some of the most excellent headphones I've heard on pop/edm/hiphop music. You might not like it if you listen to more traditional audiophile type music like jazz, classical, lobby, or elevator.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #3,612 of 6,742
Depends on your meaning of upgrade. Elears are certainly more engaging. They are not relaxing headphones. The bass makes you want to bop along. Stick to your HD650 if you want relaxing laid back sound. Elears are some of the most excellent headphones I've heard on pop/edm/hiphop music. You might not like it if you listen to more traditional audiophile type music like jazz, classical, lobby, or elevator.

I listen to a little bit of everything, but more hip hop then anything else - not much "traditional audiophile" type that you mentioned.

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #3,613 of 6,742
I listen to a little bit of everything, but more hip hop then anything else - not much "traditional audiophile" type that you mentioned.

Then you might enjoy these and maybe not even bass boost them. Not basshead cans by any means, but without hearing any planars, the bass is the best I've experienced on open headphones.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #3,614 of 6,742
I can only speak from memory, as I sold my HD650 right before buying the Elear. But from what I remember:
The Elear is pretty similar to HD650 in terms of tonality, but a little more balanced with stronger bass and more treble presence. It still has some of that full-sounding, laid-back signature of the HD650, but not quite as much.
Bass on the Elear is better than the HD650 in every way (punch, extension, quantity, cleanness).
Midrange is full-sounding and smooth, but not as much as on the HD650. The Elear has a dip in the 4k range that gives them a slightly laid-back signature.
Treble is probably the biggest upgrade imo. More presence, sparkle and air, while still smooth and giving the Elear a slightly dark sound.

Soundstage is pretty similar I think, normal width and good enough depth (not great). Presentation is still pretty in-your-face, I'd say imaging on the Elear is maybe better.
Overall detail-retrieval, refinement, realism and quality is a big win for the Elear. With the Elear, the music is so crystal-clear it sounds so real, the HD650 sounds grainy in comparison.
Some of that realism I think is due to the extremely dynamic nature of the Elear. This is one of the things that divides people about the Elear I think, some calling it engaging, some calling it fatiguing. I'd rather call it realistic, real live music is dynamic, and so is the Elear. It makes the music come alive inside your head, and makes every voice and every instrument sound so natural and real.

The Elear is a great all-round headphone, considered to be the best in their price range by many. There are other headphones that beat the Elear in some areas, but extremely few that beat them as a whole (depends on your preference of course). In this level of quality, I don't think you'll find a headphone that has more of the qualities of the HD650.
Another alternative would be the Audeze LCD-2, which is darker and has even better bass. The LCD-2 has poorer treble, soundstage, imaging and dyamics though. It is a very relaxing headphone to listen to, but never gave me the sense of natural-sounding realism that the Elear does. For poorly recorded hip-hop, the LCD-2 may be preferable, but for everything else I very much prefer the Elear.
Oh, and the LCD-2 is very heavy and clamps hard, not a comfortable headphone imo. The Elear is very comfortable.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,615 of 6,742
I can only speak from memory, as I sold my HD650 right before buying the Elear. But from what I remember:
The Elear is pretty similar to HD650 in terms of tonality, but a little more balanced with stronger bass and more treble presence. It still has some of that full-sounding, laid-back signature of the HD650, but not quite as much.
Bass on the Elear is better than the HD650 in every way (punch, extension, quantity, cleanness).
Midrange is full-sounding and smooth, but not as much as on the HD650. The Elear has a dip in the 4k range that gives them a slightly laid-back signature.
Treble is probably the biggest upgrade imo. More presence, sparkle and air, while still smooth and giving the Elear a slightly dark sound.

Soundstage is pretty similar I think, normal width and good enough depth (not great). Presentation is still pretty in-your-face, I'd say imaging on the Elear is maybe better.
Overall detail-retrieval, refinement, realism and quality is a big win for the Elear. With the Elear, the music is so crystal-clear it sounds so real, the HD650 sounds grainy in comparison.
Some of that realism I think is due to the extremely dynamic nature of the Elear. This is one of the things that divides people about the Elear I think, some calling it engaging, some calling it fatiguing. I'd rather call it realistic, real live music is dynamic, and so is the Elear. It makes the music come alive inside your head, and makes every voice and every instrument sound so natural and real.

The Elear is a great all-round headphone, considered to be the best in their price range by many. There are other headphones that beat the Elear in some areas, but extremely few that beat them as a whole (depends on your preference of course). In this level of quality, I don't think you'll find a headphone that has more if the qualities of the HD650.
Another alternative would be the Audeze LCD-2, which is darker and has even better bass. The LCD-2 has poorer treble, soundstage, imaging and dyamics though. It is a very relaxing headphone to listen to, but never gave me the sense of natural-sounding realism that the Elear does. For poorly recorded hip-hop, the LCD-2 may be preferable, but for everything else I very much prefer the Elear.
Oh, and the LCD-2 is very heavy and clamps hard, not a comfortable headphone imo. The Elear is very comfortable.

Well said. The Elear is a great headphone, and for me, at least for the foreseeable future, end of game. I would like to say that the dip in the 4k range you mentioned is definitely not an unpleasant part of the experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back