Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #3,016 of 6,742
  That's a really good cable a friend of mine has that same one for his Elear's..

I had the silver dragon for IEM, it does exist for the Elear and is the one they recommend but you can get the blue dragon which is the same geometry structure as the Silver Dragon V3 only it uses UP-OCC pure copper. I think some will prefer silver with the Elear but I was looking for a neutral cable and to me it's the sweet spot with the Elear. I am pretty happy with it :)

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3,017 of 6,742
well got my new Schiit Jot today, hooked up my new plussound Echo+ balanced cable to the elear and commenced to plow right into music heaven.  Gotta burn in the Jot, but gotta tell ya, its a whole different puppy from the Oppo HA-1. It's amazing how two upstream devices can sound so different. Best of all, I like both sound signatures very much.  I have the feeling that the Oppo will be the champ for Rock, Jazz and Metal, while the Jot will be amazing for Classical and female vocals/pop. Both power the Elear effortlessly. The new cable adds smoothness to the subbass and opens up a small amount on the soundstage, but not a huge difference. More on the pairings later when it has time for burn.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #3,018 of 6,742
  well got my new Schiit Jot today, hooked up my new plussound Echo+ balanced cable to the elear and commenced to plow right into music heaven. 

Is this the Jot with DAC?

The balanced output/inputs are what interest me -- and the price point.

Mar 9, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #3,019 of 6,742
  Can someone tell me how the Elears compare to the K712's? Thanks

Hopefully someone will answer your question.

I recently got the AKG K612 Pro
tongue_smile.gif
 for £88 on Amazon UK and after serious burn in I think it is surprisingly good and versatile and I prefer it to the Beyer T1.2.

It is unjustifiably forgotten about by people in the incessant dash to get the latest gear craze that we have on HF.

Some people prefer the 612 over the 712.  

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #3,020 of 6,742

well got my new Schiit Jot today, hooked up my new plussound Echo+ balanced cable to the elear and commenced to plow right into music heaven. 

No I have two balanced dacs  the HA-1 and the Teac UD-301. both will do DSD,  so i chose not to get their dac sent with the JOT. I needed something with balanced output for my office and at the 399.00 US price, couldn't pass it up. I simply plugged in two three pin xlr cords to the back of the dacs and ran them to the JOT. So far, can't ask for more, it's a pretty special amp.

Mar 9, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #3,021 of 6,742
  No I have two balanced dacs  the HA-1 and the Teac UD-301. both will do DSD,  so i chose not to get their dac sent with the JOT. So far, can't ask for more, it's a pretty special amp.

That's good. DAC + amp in one chassis, is not optimal, in my experiences.
Enjoy!

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #3,022 of 6,742

No I have two balanced dacs  the HA-1 and the Teac UD-301. both will do DSD,  so i chose not to get their dac sent with the JOT. I needed something with balanced output for my office and at the 399.00 US price, couldn't pass it up. I simply plugged in two three pin xlr cords to the back of the dacs and ran them to the JOT. So far, can't ask for more, it's a pretty special amp.

can you please compare the HA-1 with JOT ? in amp section to drive elear?
I'm want to buy one of them.
thanks

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #3,023 of 6,742

can you please compare the HA-1 with JOT ? in amp section to drive elear?
I'm want to buy one of them.
thanks

They are both easily able to drive the Elear in both single and balanced configuration. I don't yet have enough burn in time on the Jot to be fair with it and  to do an honest Sound quality review. I will once it gets snuggled in to its new surroundings.  I can certainly tell you one thing, if you are looking for an amp or an amp/dac that will drive virtually any headphone, I don't think that there is much out there that can match the value vs cost of the JOT with OR without the Schiit  DAC. The amp blows away the teac and is virtually equal to my Violectric HPA 90 and Ha-1 in power capability. So the money difference of 1299 (discontinued) for the oppo vs 529 of the Vio which of course is not a balanced amp to the 399 or 499 of the JOT makes it a solid candidate for anyone looking to get into a  balanced amp with great potential and what appears to be great sound. 

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #3,024 of 6,742
Well I can say that after nearly 300 hours on my Elear's there sound keeps getting better this is the best 1k I've ever spent on hp's, well worth a try for anyone who hasn't..enjoy 

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #3,025 of 6,742
They are both easily able to drive the Elear in both single and balanced configuration. I don't yet have enough burn in time on the Jot to be fair with it and  to do an honest Sound quality review. I will once it gets snuggled in to its new surroundings.  I can certainly tell you one thing, if you are looking for an amp or an amp/dac that will drive virtually any headphone, I don't think that there is much out there that can match the value vs cost of the JOT with OR without the Schiit  DAC. The amp blows away the teac and is virtually equal to my Violectric HPA 90 and Ha-1 in power capability. So the money difference of 1299 (discontinued) for the oppo vs 529 of the Vio which of course is not a balanced amp to the 399 or 499 of the JOT makes it a solid candidate for anyone looking to get into a  balanced amp with great potential and what appears to be great sound. 

thanks man!
my wallet say JOT, my eyes say HA-1 
blink.gif

lol

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #3,027 of 6,742
  Well I can say that after nearly 300 hours on my Elear's there sound keeps getting better this is the best 1k I've ever spent on hp's, well worth a try for anyone who hasn't..enjoy 

best headphones I have ever owned , about 200 hours in now. money well spent. have heard the utopias and all I can say is wow, that sound, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I think I have found my end game in the elears. was looking for a new amp but upgraded the tubes in my amp and I think I am set for quite awhile.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #3,028 of 6,742

best headphones I have ever owned , about 200 hours in now. money well spent. have heard the utopias and all I can say is wow, that sound, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I think I have found my end game in the elears. was looking for a new amp but upgraded the tubes in my amp and I think I am set for quiet awhile.

I agree 100%. The law of diminishing return. I cant justify 4000.00 for earphones that arent 3000.00 better than the Elears. I just did the Woo WA7 and WA7tp with upgraded tubes, the Elears and dropped almost another grand on my AK300 so Im going to have to have to slow it way down before Im listening to this fine audio gear in a cardboard box while living in the Walmart parking lot.

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #3,030 of 6,742
I didn't really think to much of the HA-1, seemed lacking in power when I demo'd my HE-560's on it. I found out a wee bit sterile.

I have the HA-1 Audicom SE and when I had the Elears it sounded great to me. I don't think you need massive power to drive the Elears and the HA-1 has lots to spare, esp. when using the balanced jack. I don't even use the high gain. It's simply not needed. I can't comment on the HE-560 combo though. I'm now enjoying this DAC/AMP with my Utopias
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back