Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #2,881 of 6,742
  1. [attach]1692358[/attach]
  1. doctorjazz
  2. There is no Dana, there is only ZOTL!
    Reviewer for The Headphone List
  3. badge_headphoneusSupremus.v2411770217.png
  5. offline
  1. 7,864 Posts. Joined 12/2010
  2. Location: Westfield, New Jersey

I do believe the Elear cable has 4 conductors.
I am out of my element giving you more help on this, I'm under the impression you have to be careful with the different conductors in the cable if you're wiring for balanced, but it can be done by the handy (but you can't just stick a balanced conductor at the end of any cable).
Now, can someone help me with which end of a hammer to hold?....

any end that doesn't cause you to go "ouch ..... damn" when you swing it.   
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #2,882 of 6,742
So been listening to these badboy's since November, more or less. I've posted a few thoughts before, but I want to officially make a statement about the stock cord. I love it. I didn't really have an opinion when I purchased because I had a broken ankle and literally didn't move for a month. That said my friends who came and kept me company had opinions.
Essentially I never once heard, "MY GOD MAN, WHY IS THIS CABLE SO FRIGGIN' LONG?"
Instead I watched, over and over, as my friends put on the cans and danced around my living room as if at a silent concert. Which, to be real, was pretty cool. I may be a little younger than some on here at 27 and so *may* have a different perspective. I hope that this isn't of concern though, because everyone should dance.
My own thoughts now that I'm not constricted to my couch: still love it. I can get off my chair and grab a reference from my library without any worry. I can, like my friends, dance around my living room without blasting my neighbors (well I still do that, in my opinion there's nothing better than a serious sound system at full volume--but i don't do it as often). And I've never once wished it was shorter. It comes with velcro wraps, and I've found that when I don't need the length they come in handy.
So yeah there is my update.
I guess as an added listening experience I will say that I have moved off my McIntosh for the most part, and that plugging these into a laptop with my Dragonfly is pretty darned decent! Definitely acceptable. At around 50% vol. they continue to immerse and envelope my soul and drive me to nirvana.
Cheers.:)

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #2,883 of 6,742
I may be a little younger than some on here at 27 and so *may* have a different perspective. I hope that this isn't of concern though, because everyone should dance.

Haha, that did make me laugh. Well, at 32 I say, rock on my brother. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2,884 of 6,742
Hey, at 64,I still love to dance around the living room...:)
Great fun, Great exercise!

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #2,886 of 6,742
Hi, I thought I'd share this short video just in case anyone is interested...just some thoughts and opinions-

FOCAL ELEAR vs SONY Z1R

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #2,887 of 6,742
Mar 1, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #2,889 of 6,742
All relative I guess. Compared to the others it was more melodic in a warmer way. No less detailed but a shade less analytical. I very very nearly bought it but gave the 931 one last try having initially dismissed it and it just worked for me.

The Elear sounded fabulous, just a shame I had the Utopia with me also!

Hi, may I know what you think 931 compare to questyle 600i?

Based on specs 931 has around 10 ohm output impedance while 600i at <1 ohm, though I understand our ears is the final judge, not the spec sheet.

Best Headphone for fatigue free listening is HD600

My bet would goes to Oppo PM1 with original leather pad

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,890 of 6,742
Hi, may I know what you think 931 compare to questyle 600i?

Based on specs 931 has around 10 ohm output impedance while 600i at <1 ohm, though I understand our ears is the final judge, not the spec sheet.

My bet would goes to Oppo PM1 with original leather pad

I actually went with the intention to buy the 600i but just didn't like it. Too brittle and fatiguing to my ears.

I was pretty disappointed because a) the 600i has excellent reviews and I really hoped to like it and b) I wanted a second dac so I could set up another listening station but imo it was some margin behind the Trilogy and also the Bryston BHA1

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #2,892 of 6,742
Maybe the 600i is better with an external DAC, but I'm with [COLOR=0000CD]dannybgoode[/COLOR]
, the Trilogy is just lovely. 

The dac is supposedly very strong. I am more inclined to suspect the headphone stage is where the issue is but I didn't try isolating either but as I had no intention of spending over £1k only to have to get yet another dac or amp depending on which bit I felt was lacking.

Can't wait for my Trilogy to come, oh and the Lavricables Master Utopia :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #2,895 of 6,742
We would gladly take your business!
smily_headphones1.gif
We are located in Pittsburgh and we are a proud Cavalli and Focal dealer. Also- what amp did they pair the Elear with at canjam?

Yeah it was a Schiit Jotenheim. Although I can't remember whether that was the Utopia or the Elear! Either way, sounded great.

Thanks for the self-recommendation... Actually it's worth a lot for a vendor to be here on head-fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back