Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #2,101 of 6,742
I think we're in stage 2 of the Hype Train Progression, that is, the backlash part (inevitable when something is gushed over as the best thing since Mother's Milk).

Jan 25, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #2,102 of 6,742
  Does anyone have a comparison between Fostex TH-900 and Focal Elears?

I have both, the TH-900 has an amazing bass but is very shouty in comparison. The Elear sounds much more natural, on all frequencies. No debate for me, Elear wins hands down.

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2,103 of 6,742
Just got my Elear and while I haven't tested it yet on my desktop rig, I can already tell they are quite amazing. I was expecting high quality and haven't been disappointed. Build quality is really awesome. I prefer it to the all plasticy HD800S. 
Sound wise, finally I can enjoy some music instead swaping between tracks looking for one which will sound right. I liked the HD800S for some aspects but never truly had fun listening to music. Bass was really subpar IMO. Just my opinion...My T1.2 was laser sharp, dissecting the music like none, but was impossible to enjoy (technically too good and too harsh). My LCD2F was pretty good but too much in your face. The Elear is good all across the spectrum. For now, where I think they stand out is how they reproduce the acoustic. The HD800S sounded very large but the Elear position you between the artist and the background. You're closer to the stage (the infamous 2nd row) but for some reason, you can also tell what's happening around you and where. Some cymbals here and there, crowd cheering, other instruments... It might be one of the best for that (spacialization). Yes it t's narrower than some but there is a lot of depth... a lot. Immersive is the word. 
Can't wait to try it on my full size rig with the custom balanced cable I'm building. Will update accordingly. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #2,104 of 6,742
I think we're in stage 2 of the Hype Train Progression, that is, the backlash part (inevitable when something is gushed over as the best thing since Mother's Milk).

There is absolutely no better way to say or express this than what you just said.   :)   My  Kudos!!  

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,105 of 6,742
Thank you for the feedback.

How do the T5p 2nd compare with the T1?

If the Elear has PRAT than I will be happy!

The Amiron- can it go up against the Elear? I am only looking for one headphone

OK! did a lot of A/B yesterday and took some notes. I started out using the the Aurlic Taurus amp and Hugo TT for DAC. I listened to The Elear, Beyerdynamic Amiron, Sony MDR Z1R using Tidal. I was mainly listening for Prat and also which frequencies stood out to me the most.  I also listened to the Grado RS1 and also the Grado rs80e briefly. 

"Say something loving" by The XX-  The Elears seemed to have the most prat and It may just be due to their punchy nature. The Z1R got me really engaged to the song but its in a different way than he Elear. Its more atmospheric in its nature and I hate to use this analogy again but it sounds more "liquid" to me. The Amiron seemed to have the most extended highs and this was evident to me since I could hear the "ssssss" sound when the female started singing. The Amiron's bass was below the Z1R and Elear in regards to tightness. The amount of bass between all 3 are slightly bumped up but to me it doesn't bleed into the other sounds which is something worth noting.  

I switched the Amp up to see if the synergy would change between headphones. To me the Taurus sounds like a neutral amp, not trying to add anything to rest of the chain. I went to the CMA 800i and Hugo TT.  After listening I feel like the 800i added slight warmth to the Amrion. To me this is a bonus since I tend to like warmer cans. 

" Havona" by Weather Report-      "The Elear and Z1R take the cake" is what I wrote. Very engaging from both headphones. I think this is where I hear the "speaker sound"  of the Elear comes through. I plan on listening to more Jazz with the Elear where originally I just listened to a lot of rock with it. The Amiron is more neutral of the bunch and its truly up to preference in regards to what one wants from a sound signature. I got more separation with the Z1R and Elear then I did the Amiron. Bass once again was tighter on both those cans then the Beyer. With all that said I still  feel like price to performance the Amiron is no slouch. 

In the end to answer your question @buzzlulu I feel like the Elear has a closer presentation to certain Grado's where the music is kind of pumped at you and engaging in that regard. The Z1R is very engaging as well, but in a more atmospheric way. It would be comparable to going to a live show (Elear) or going to see a movie at a theater (Z1R). This is over simplifying but trying to make it easier to identify their sound sigs... to answer your other question I think that the Amiron is more neutral and is just tonally different then the Elear. I feel like you get what you pay for in regards to both. The Elear  gets me toe tapping immediately.  Also- when I went to the store I didn't see a T5p second gen... I made sure to look. We have at least 8 Beyers on Demo amd didn't see them. Ill ask Mark (the owner) about them!

As always If anyone wants to ask any questions about different headphones, amps ect or what we have in stock/prices feel free to PM me. Hope this helps at all
-Craig at MTME

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,107 of 6,742
The elear is a truly amazing headphone. I don't think people are realizing that spending $2000-$4000 on just a headphone NO DAC included is kinda sort of a rip off. I spent a ton of time listening to my collection of headphones from the utopia to the elear hell even my v moda m100 and I can honestly tell you thst after a while all the headphones kind of sort of begin to somewhat sound the same, i think headphone companies are trying to see how much they csn get away with. For example sony putting 70m drivers in a headphone ofcourse you will hear deep bass (duh) to me out of all the headphones that I own if i can keep one besides my utopia in all honesty I would keep the elear. Its different it sounds great looks great and to me is one of the best values for its price period. All other headphones sound only very small differences

Hello friend
Can you make some comments about Elear vs utopia?
Does utopia sound justifies the 4K price?

Thanks

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2,109 of 6,742
Hello friend

Thanks

these types of comparisons are always silly...is the utopia 4 times as good as the elear?of course not just like all products that are more expensive there is a law of diminishing return...is the utopia a better HP...for sure and if you can afford them they are definitely worth the expense IMHO but that is solely based upon your wallet

Jan 25, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,110 of 6,742
  these types of comparisons are always silly...is the utopia 4 times as good as the elear?of course not just like all products that are more expensive there is a law of diminishing return...is the utopia a better HP...for sure and if you can afford them they are definitely worth the expense IMHO but that is solely based upon your wallet

I agree with this. People should really stop asking for price per performance ratio when u reach above $300-400. Headphones above that are just "different rather than absolutely better". Personal taste matters more.

The soundstage on Elear is what I found interesting/odd compared to other headphones. The presentation is like from your head and moves forward ( a lot of depth), unlike the traditional "left to right" earcup sound (width) . 

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #2,112 of 6,742
Hello friend

Thanks

There is a post in this thread from a guy that did blind testing of the Elear and Utopia with his wife. If memory serves me correctly he played 10 tracks and his wife put each on him and he chose which he prefered while his wife wrote it down. I think the Utopia won 6 out of the 10 times, the Elear sounded 'better' with the other 4 tracks.

SO, like what has already been said. When you reach a certain level, it comes down to personal preference as to which is better. Technologically the Utopia is clearly superior, but that doesn't mean you will prefer the way it sounds over another HP.

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #2,114 of 6,742
There is a post in this thread from a guy that did blind testing of the Elear and Utopia with his wife. If memory serves me correctly he played 10 tracks and his wife put each on him and he chose which he prefered while his wife wrote it down. I think the Utopia won 6 out of the 10 times, the Elear sounded 'better' with the other 4 tracks.

SO, like what has already been said. When you reach a certain level, it comes down to personal preference as to which is better. Technologically the Utopia is clearly superior, but that doesn't mean you will prefer the way it sounds over another HP.

Thanks man
Really appreciated that

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2,115 of 6,742

LOL, absolutely, no matter the headphone, phase 2 always occurs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back