Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #2,131 of 6,742
Do not want to go over this entire thread again so Elear owners please refresh my memory

How much burn in do these require - and quantitatively how much do they change after the burn in.

Do they sound significantly different after burn in compared to fresh out of the box?

I don't believe in Burn-in simply because placebo can take in place. Elear clamps hard out of box so there is physical burn-in for me :)

I disagree, but we can agree to disagree, big difference in my ears.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #2,132 of 6,742
I am considering the Elear as my open back counterpart to the Sony Z1R.  I have an idea of what they might sound like, and will try to audition them before purchasing, but would like opinions on comfort in comparison to, for example, the HD650.  I actually found the 650 be very uncomfortable as the clamping force was too much and pads stiff (the HD598 was fine though). I don't have a big head but am sensitive to clamp.  Is the Elear a bit looser in clamp than the 650 and overall more comfortable?  

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #2,133 of 6,742
  I am considering the Elear as my open back counterpart to the Sony Z1R.  I have an idea of what they might sound like, and will try to audition them before purchasing, but would like opinions on comfort in comparison to, for example, the HD650.  I actually found the 650 be very uncomfortable as the clamping force was too much and pads stiff (the HD598 was fine though). I don't have a big head but am sensitive to clamp.  Is the Elear a bit looser in clamp than the 650 and overall more comfortable?  

Canjam Nyc. Enough said dude. Just try them there. 

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #2,134 of 6,742

Comfort is an individual thing, trying them is indeed the best thing. I have a take that is probably different than yours, I have a small head, found the 650 the most comfortable over ear I've had, Elear has more clamping force than that did, less comfortable on my head.

Jan 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,136 of 6,742
i tried the Elear next to almost 30 other high end headphones. it was by far my overall favorite, all things considered (nothing under 4k sounded much better to my untrained ears).

Senn's definitely a bit comfier but the sound was too accurate/too cold for me. didn't enjoy it as much as the Focal Elear's. Just my opinion!

btw, was able to buy an open box Elear from auth distributor with 2 year warranty for $800...not sure anything can top that from what i heard...

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #2,137 of 6,742
Z1R goes very deep in bass and upper mid is just sweet and is a HP which will make you enjoy the music. Only place where I would say Elear is better compared to Z1R is lower mid.
However overall vocals are better in Z1R.
Also no leakage in Z1R as it is closed and provides very good isolation so no one in house knows the volume of music.

I disagree male vocals sounded more natural on the elear then it did on the z1r. Bass and female vocals go to the z1r.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #2,138 of 6,742
  i tried the Elear next to almost 30 other high end headphones. it was by far my overall favorite, all things considered (nothing under 4k sounded much better to my untrained ears).

Senn's definitely a bit comfier but the sound was too accurate/too cold for me. didn't enjoy it as much as the Focal Elear's. Just my opinion!

btw, was able to buy an open box Elear from auth distributor with 2 year warranty for $800...not sure anything can top that from what i heard...

Very nice deal..

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #2,139 of 6,742
Z1R goes very deep in bass and upper mid is just sweet and is a HP which will make you enjoy the music. Only place where I would say Elear is better compared to Z1R is lower mid.
However overall vocals are better in Z1R.
Also no leakage in Z1R as it is closed and provides very good isolation so no one in house knows the volume of music.

Honestly it depends on what I wanted in that moment but after spending a decent amount of the time with the Z1R I am really digging the atmospheric sound... but the Elear could probably get you pumped up faster? Ha. I think the wider presentation of the Z1R might be easier to descern the details for that kind of music (edm, techno ect). When listening to both for micro detail I feel like they are about similar. I just had to pay attention more for it in regards to the Elear. I listened to Bonobo on the Z1R and was floored by it. I will listen to that album and some edm with the Elear to give you a 100% answer.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #2,141 of 6,742
  Do not want to go over this entire thread again so Elear owners please refresh my memory

How much burn in do these require - and quantitatively how much do they change after the burn in.

Do they sound significantly different after burn in compared to fresh out of the box?

They require at least 200 hours burn-in, 400 hours will settle them completely.
The sound quantitatively improves by 60%: 10% more heights, 10% more bass extensinon, 20% more resolution, 20% better imaging.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #2,142 of 6,742

The sound quantitatively improves by 60%: 10% more heights, 10% more bass extensinon, 20% more resolution, 20% better imaging.

... and 400 hours later Elear becomes what? 
eek.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #2,143 of 6,742

... and 400 hours later Elear becomes what? 
eek.gif

After 400 hours burn-in, Elear converges to Utopia and Utopia converges to Orpheus and Orpheus to ZEUS !

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #2,145 of 6,742

The HD 650 pads break in over time, but they are very uncomfortable to start with. I don't think any of the Senns are overly comfortable, the HD 800/800S aren't uncomfortable, but they aren't super comfy either. The Elears have a really nice microfibre cloth covering, my head isn't overly big (I did bend out my HD 6XX, as stock they were way too tight), but the Elear are pretty decent. Far better than the HD650/800, not as comfy as HE-560 or HE-1000, the HE-1000 are supremely comfortable. 

I've only had my Elears a couple of days, but I spent the entire working day with them on yesterday, maybe 10 hours or more and I didn't get fatigued at all. If they were too tight, I don't know how you'd remedy it, the yolks that hold the cups are really, really well built, I don't know how they'd take to a HD 650 type bending, I wouldn't try it myself, but then again, they fit perfectly on my head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back