Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 8, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,876 of 6,742
In terms of micro details and clarity can someone compare with the elear vs sennheiser HD 800 or HD 800 s?

I listened to both the Elear and HD 800 in the shop when I bought my Elears (through a Musical Fidelity HP amp). The HD800 seemed a bit clearer and maybe more resolution, but the Elear has more bass and felt more dynamical and punchy (but not overly so). The HD800 soundstage is bigger and the Elears sounds more intimate. Both are very good, I think it is more a matter of taste which ones one prefer. For me, I prefer the Elears as they felt more alive, the music felt more engaging.

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,877 of 6,742
So after using my new pair of Elear's with my Schiit Magni 2 I haven't felt like I have been getting really much of a punch in the bass department. I plugged the Elear's into my Marantz receiver just for fun and noticed that I am getting more punch to the bass, but everything else lacks badly. 

I have been combing this thread for suggestions and I am mostly seeing the Jotunheim. But I really don't want a Jotunheim after a fairly negative experience with the Jotunheim's single ended performance while using the DT1990 Pro and LCD-2 in prior times.

What kind of amp would you guys recommend to get for the Elear to increase the bass? SS? Tube? Which specific amp?
I'd recommend ifi ican se :)

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,878 of 6,742

I listened to both the Elear and HD 800 in the shop when I bought my Elears (through a Musical Fidelity HP amp). The HD800 seemed a bit clearer and maybe more resolution, but the Elear has more bass and felt more dynamical and punchy (but not overly so). The HD800 soundstage is bigger and the Elears sounds more intimate. Both are very good, I think it is more a matter of taste which ones one prefer. For me, I prefer the Elears as they felt more alive, the music felt more engaging.

+1
I have listened to Elear and compared it to HD800S in a shop and thought pretty much the same thing. I was using Deckard which is a really bad pairing for HD800/S, but I still felt that Elear was way more interesting headphone to listen to. Just like you said, more dynamical and punchy with better bass, but far worse soundstage, which I think is worth the trade. But yeah, it comes down to preference. I also think Elear is far more comfortable and feels better overall, as the HD800/S is mostly made out of plastic, and the cups are just way too big. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #1,879 of 6,742
Interesting. I feel like the feel of hd800s/hd800 doesn't get any better then that ha. But to each his own. I think a good headphone feel for me, is one that after a few minutes I don't even remember having one on

Jan 8, 2017 at 5:25 PM Post #1,880 of 6,742
Quote "So after using my new pair of Elear's with my Schiit Magni 2 I haven't felt like I have been getting really much of a punch in the bass department. I plugged the Elear's into my Marantz receiver just for fun and noticed that I am getting more punch to the bass, but everything else lacks badly. 

I have been combing this thread for suggestions and I am mostly seeing the Jotunheim. But I really don't want a Jotunheim after a fairly negative experience with the Jotunheim's single ended performance while using the DT1990 Pro and LCD-2 in prior times.

What kind of amp would you guys recommend to get for the Elear to increase the bass? SS? Tube? Which specific amp?"

You don't mention if you have a spending limit, but I highly recommend just moving up the Schiit ladder a bit to the Mjolnir 2 with iFi 6922's installed.  Very solid and plentiful low end in my opinion with both LCD 2's and Elears, so probably most any phone capable of re-creating good bass.  I've never listened to it with the stock tubes or the solid-state replacements so I can't say for sure how much the 6922's are contributing, but they're only $100 if you want to try the stockers or other tubes first.  I'm quite satisfied with the combo and don't have any interest in trying anything else, tbh.  It's also one of the most budget-friendly fully balanced amps available, so you get that benefit, as well.  Balanced always sounds better to me.

Jan 8, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #1,881 of 6,742
I get really good bass punch in the Elear's with my wa22 as you say amp pairing is important, I'll be trying the iFi ican pro soon anxious to hear them on a good ss amp..enjoy

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #1,882 of 6,742
I'm burning these things in forever (long story), my go to amp, MicroZOTL2, seems weak in the bass on these as well (haven't felt that with any other of the many headphones I've had it with... Wonder why that is). I do have a Liquid Carbon, does very well with these.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #1,883 of 6,742
Ladies and gentlemen. I have now sold my beloved Elears and now I have also listed my Black Dragon V2 5ft Balanced 4pin XLR up for sale. Im only posting on here to inform you in case your are in the market for a cable upgrade and like me you wouldn't ordinarily look in the for sale forum. Please check it out and PM if you are interested.

Jan 9, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,884 of 6,742
Ladies and gentlemen. I have now sold my beloved Elears and now I have also listed my Black Dragon V2 5ft Balanced 4pin XLR up for sale. Im only posting on here to inform you in case your are in the market for a cable upgrade and like me you wouldn't ordinarily look in the for sale forum. Please check it out and PM if you are interested.

Sorry to be such indiscreet person, but did you notice and difference between the stock cable vs the dragon balanced cable?
Did you find a better headphone to replace elear?

Jan 9, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,885 of 6,742
I liked the V2 Dragon over the stock due to its more manageable length. Also that it was balanced which with my oppo ha-1 seems better than single ended. It's difficult to say whether it was being balanced or the cable or both but overall I noticed it was tighter in the bass and fuller,the vocals become even clearer and the soundstage widened. My new headphone is the Utopia and I have also ordered another Black Dragon as I was very happy with the first one. Pity they didn't use the same connections ☹️

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #1,886 of 6,742
How did the balanced cable compare with the stock cable from Focal..enjoy 

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #1,887 of 6,742
These hp's are simply amazing sounding getting better by the day, haven't got my balanced cables yet anxious to hear the differences..enjoy

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #1,888 of 6,742
thinking of these....vs my senn hd650.
want a more punchy (but still balaned, realistic) sound sig.
would these do it?
using chord mojo, iFi micro idsd or my mapletree earplus hd tube amp to drive them.

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,890 of 6,742
dude I've owned the 650's the Elear's have  a very different level in sq, then the 650's  imo much better you will not regret..enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back