Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 1, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #1,801 of 6,742
I also notice the midrange dip on listening so far, bothers me on some tracks, not on others. It is odd, though...

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #1,802 of 6,742
One minor niggle I noticed with my Elear. When adjusting the size, the left arm makes a precise, metalic clicking sound when pushing the arm into the headband, but on the right sound it makes a dull sound without much of a click. It makes me wonder if something is wrong with the right side.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I tried disassembling the headband to see if I could find the source of the difference but I didn't make it very far. The headband doesn't seem to be user serviceable.

Mine also has this issue. Like you said, it's minor, but it's something I'd rather not experience on a $1,000 product.

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #1,803 of 6,742
I just checked that issue is not in my pair. Do they stay in their position when you set them ?..enjoy

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #1,805 of 6,742
Oh I do agree with you I had to replace my first pair of Elear's distortions, The replacements are superb..

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #1,807 of 6,742
I've listened to the Elear with my HTC10, not add good add written the home amp/dac, but definitely enjoyable.

Jan 2, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #1,808 of 6,742
I've listened to the Elear with my HTC10, not add good add written the home amp/dac, but definitely enjoyable.

Wow, autocorrect really got you there, lol! :veryevil:

Jan 2, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #1,809 of 6,742
Jan 2, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #1,810 of 6,742
Well you pretty much answered my point and yours at the sametime.

Elear is a good headphone, I finds it enjoyable and fun. It reviewed very well by members here as well as else where. It brings unique quality to my musics, being detailed and at the same time dynamic and punchy, which I appreciate.

I agrees with your last paragraph. It is problematic but you can becomes use to it. If Elear is the only headphone I have ever listen to, I would be very happy. But as it stands it does have minor issues which I can definitely overlook and enjoy it while switching between my other headphones.

58cbb761f5a0cbac787d53233c053c1c.jpg

The midrange dip does show up in the measurements of the Elear, it's a rather sudden dip in the upper midrange/lower treble and it spikes back up in the mid-upper treble ranges, some people find this problematic in terms of midrange presentation. It's not really recessed mids, the Nighthawk for example has somewhat recessed mids but it doesn't have the same situation the Elear has, the Elear suffers from a midrange dip in the presence region which is a bit different as it affects the perceived body and presence of the midrange. I have found it problematic at first but not a big deal once I adjusted to it's sound personally. Of course it does depends on peoples ears and systems, some people are more sensitive to this region than others, etc.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:40 AM Post #1,811 of 6,742
I don't own the Elear (yet), but I'm reading the thread with great interest and will audition a pair when dealers here in Denmark has them.

It's interesting to follow the ''problem with the midrange debate''. Some hear no problem with the midrange, others do and refer to the 4khz dip in the measurements. This reference to the dip at 4khz makes me think, that maybe we are talking about this from different understandings of, what the midrange frequency range is? Here are at set of definitions on frequency ranges and instrument fundamentals, that has been used for decades in the recording industry and in speaker development:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/frequency_ranges.htm

According to these definitions the dip in the frequency response is up in the middle of the treble range. So my guess is, that people who hear no problem at all with the midrange of the Elear are referring to what they hear in midrange area (160hz - 1280hz) and are answering based on what they hear in this frequency range. Others are referring to 4khz as being in the midrange area and are referring to what they hear in this range.

Here is a link to a free online tone generator, just to get a reference point for, how different frequencies sound... http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html

Just a thought...

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #1,812 of 6,742
  I don't own the Elear (yet), but I'm reading the thread with great interest and will audition a pair when dealers here in Denmark has them.

It's interesting to follow the ''problem with the midrange debate''. Some hear no problem with the midrange, others do and refer to the 4khz dip in the measurements. This reference to the dip at 4khz makes me think, that maybe we are talking about this from different understandings of, what the midrange frequency range is? Here are at set of definitions on frequency ranges and instrument fundamentals, that has been used for decades in the recording industry and in speaker development:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/frequency_ranges.htm

According to these definitions the dip in the frequency response is up in the middle of the treble range. So my guess is, that people who hear no problem at all with the midrange of the Elear are referring to what they hear in midrange area (160hz - 1280hz) and are answering based on what they hear in this frequency range. Others are referring to 4khz as being in the midrange area and are referring to what they hear in this range.

Here is a link to a free online tone generator, just to get a reference point for, how different frequencies sound... http://onlinetonegenerator.com/frequency-sweep-generator.html

Just a thought...

This is a very interesting graph.  It's true that the 4k range is "middle treble," but if you look closely, you'll notice that a lot of instruments have their harmonics somewhere in the 4k range.  So while this part of the frequency range doesn't really get into the midrange, it essentially is an important part of making the midrange sound whole, and to have "meat on the bones."  It seems like when we do not hear those harmonics, the sound can tend to be "dry" or "cold."  

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,814 of 6,742
Is there any solution to the mid range dip other than eqing or raising the volume? Would a specific amp or cable help in this department?

I'd like to hear my Elear with a good tube amp.  I'm currently only using a Dragonfly Red, but I've got a really good DAC in my speaker system I'd like to use (PS Audio DirectStream).  My dad has a Woo WA22 that I'd like to borrow and try out with the Elear.  I'm guessing that whole combination would sound outstanding.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,815 of 6,742
  I'd like to hear my Elear with a good tube amp.  I'm currently only using a Dragonfly Red, but I've got a really good DAC in my speaker system I'd like to use (PS Audio DirectStream).  My dad has a Woo WA22 that I'd like to borrow and try out with the Elear.  I'm guessing that whole combination would sound outstanding.

I actually think the Elear may work better with a good SS amp.  The Elear are easy to drive, and are warm enough.   I am not sure a tube amp is necessary.   Maybe overkill?  

I am considering the Matrix M stage HPA3B, which has excellent reviews (specs wise, it is hard to get this under 1kUSD), but I would need to get a good balance cable first, then a good DAC as well...

On the Matrix M stage HPA 2, the Elear produce a very enjoyable experience, but I am sure the combination for the Schiit Gungnir + Matrix M stage HP3B should be an even more enjoyable experience.     

Users who are viewing this thread

Back