Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 31, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #1,788 of 6,742
I am using the Liquid Carbon, which I feel is on the warm side, works very well with the Elear to me (go back and forth between it and the MicroZOTL2, until today when I got a review unit of the Mojo Illuminati LPS, ZOTL and Elear sounds great with it (but the cost is more than most will spend with the Elear, more in TOTL territory).

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #1,789 of 6,742
Sure, that's always an option.  I've personally never been big on EQing.  I guess it's just the purist in me.  How would that work with things like Tidal and Spotify though?

My T 1.2s are still breaking in, but they have a very intriguing sound signature.  Something about the detail and layering in the midrange that tends to completely suck me in.  Then at other moments there is sibilance that detracts.  I'm hoping this calms down a bit with break in, but I'm not holding my breath.  Seems like something you just have to get used to if you want to become a fan of the T 1.2s.

That does not surprise me at all. Beyer are generally bright and can be quite irritating. The Elear are simply overall better cans. Best bang for the bucks

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #1,790 of 6,742
I'd have to agree they are too bright for my taste, the Elear's just do everything right imo and for the price unbeatable..enjoy

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #1,791 of 6,742
That does not surprise me at all. Beyer are generally bright and can be quite irritating. The Elear are simply overall better cans. Best bang for the bucks

Beyers do tend to be bright but their new stuff is taking a definite turn to a darker tuning, their new stuff is worth auditioning if you don't like bright headphones. Makes me wonder if the eventual new Beyer flagship will be on the darker side, just hope it's not treble-happy. I'm not a big fan of bright headphones, but when Beyer makes a darker/warmer headphone they are among my favorite dynamic headphones in their price range, I honestly think many Beyers are ruined or hindered by their often treble-happy response.

The Elears are fantastic, it's nice seeing more darker and more neutral headphones coming out. Seems like the treble-canon era has come to an end.

Jan 1, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #1,792 of 6,742
Elear recessed mids is really annoying when trying to set the proper volume. More often than not you will end up with higher than usual volume when trying to hear minor details you are used to from other headphones. Sounds of breath intakes, finger rubbing guitar strings or piano pedal press almost disappeared on Elear at lower volume.

While elear is a 'fun' and dynamic headphone, recessed mids is its Achilles 's heels. So the appreciation for more natural alpha dogs, or even brighter beyer are completely justify when compare to Elear Imo

82652ee210b1e703641752c5b898ef3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #1,793 of 6,742
You too!

Focal is one of the few mainstream high-end speaker companies that I still have confidence in.
It's clear they didn't just take a generic driver design and stick a brand on it. 

The build quality on all my pairs have been excellent. No paint chipping or driver issues. 
The only foreseeable problem is that the headband may one day need to be replaced.
Focal makes some pretty classy and stupid expensive floor speakers. I always thought the brand was legit. Even though I will never be able to afford the Grande Utopia speaker.Look sick design wise btw. Happy New Year to everyone. Best of luck.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #1,794 of 6,742
  Oregonian, you mentioned that the Dharma was your second favorite headphone, and we've chatted on the Dharma thread some time ago. I compared the LCD series with the Elear, and ended up buying an LCD-3 on the sales form. Currently, have my Dharma and the 3. Overall, I prefer the 3, but for some recordings it sounds thick and syrupy, while the Dharma picks up more treble detail. When, I go to the Dharma, I miss the bass and warmth, though.  I'd like to marry the two-the warmth of the LCD-3 with the resolution and clarity up top of the Dharma.

I've actually thought of selling my Dharma for an Elear. I'm wondering which would make the best pair-LCD-3 + Dharma or Elear?

Still like the Dharma as the second fav open can to my HE-6.  One thing about the Dharma - the bass was improved when I went with Audeze lambskin pads.  That may help your missing warmth..............

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,795 of 6,742
Elear recessed mids is really annoying when trying to set the proper volume. More often than not you will end up with higher than usual volume when trying to hear minor details you are used to from other headphones. Sounds of breath intakes, finger rubbing guitar strings or piano pedal press almost disappeared on Elear at lower volume.

While elear is a 'fun' and dynamic headphone, recessed mids is its Achilles 's heels. So the appreciation for more natural alpha dogs, or even brighter beyer are completely justify when compare to Elear Imo

I'd say give them some time.  I had a negative opinion of the mids when I first got them (and still can't say they are the best mids in a headphone I've heard by any means).  But my ears have adapted somewhat.  The Elears offer so many other good qualities as all-rounder headphones.  I'm currently comparing the Elear to the Beyer T1.2, and the T1.2 have the lusher, fuller midrange, but their treble is just brutally aggressive and causes fatigue, whereas the Elear will cause absolutely zero fatigue for me.

Jan 1, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #1,797 of 6,742

82652ee210b1e703641752c5b898ef3d.jpg

well KCrang I gotta tell ya, I'm just not hearing the same sonic and sound quality situation as you are. Different ears. different equipment combinations.  different opinions I guess.  I have the Elear and i have run them off my schiit stack, i have the alpha dogs and i have run them off the same. I have also run both off of Violectric hpa 90 with the Modi,  Oppo HA1 and teac 301. On each and every amp, with various cables, on all of the music I tend to listen to, I have heard no true fall off of the mids, nor any true sound quality or volume setting deficit compared to any headphone i own or have owned. In fact, I have heard just the opposite. I now hear how much quality my entire HP cache lacks compared to the Elear. The only perceivable difference I have heard between my Elear and ANY headphone I have ever heard, tried, had or owned is in perceived soundstage. This is not to say there is a lack of soundstage. It is a different soundstage than any headphone i have ever tried. 

Certainly, there must be something to this "recessed" midrange situation. Many have reported it, many are confounded by it, disappointed in it and frustrated by it. But in response, at some point, some of us Elear owners must point out that we just aren't hearing it. Simply put, my Elear, will blow away sonically my Alpha Dogs (or any of my HP's)  at any volume, with any amp, cable and nearly every genre of music I currently own. 

As I have stated in a few of my prior posts, The ear wants what it wants. Each of us is different. There are NO absolutes when it comes to sound and its individual perception.  The Alphas are exceptional headphones and if they please you more than the elear then they should be your go to headphone.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,798 of 6,742
well KCrang I gotta tell ya, I'm just not hearing the same sonic and sound quality situation as you are. Different ears. different equipment combinations.  different opinions I guess.  I have the Elear and i have run them off my schiit stack, i have the alpha dogs and i have run them off the same. I have also run both off of Violectric hpa 90 with the Modi,  Oppo HA1 and teac 301. On each and every amp, with various cables, on all of the music I tend to listen to, I have heard no true fall off of the mids, nor any true sound quality or volume setting deficit compared to any headphone i own or have owned. In fact, I have heard just the opposite. I now hear how much quality my entire HP cache lacks compared to the Elear. The only perceivable difference I have heard between my Elear and ANY headphone I have ever heard, tried, had or owned is in perceived soundstage. This is not to say there is a lack of soundstage. It is a different soundstage than any headphone i have ever tried. 

Certainly, there must be something to this "recessed" midrange situation. Many have reported it, many are confounded by it, disappointed in it and frustrated by it. But in response, at some point, some of us Elear owners must point out that we just aren't hearing it. Simply put, my Elear, will blow away sonically my Alpha Dogs (or any of my HP's)  at any volume, with any amp, cable and nearly every genre of music I currently own. 

As I have stated in a few of my prior posts, The ear wants what it wants. Each of us is different. There are NO absolutes when it comes to sound and its individual perception.  The Alphas are exceptional headphones and if they please you more than the elear then they should be your go to headphone.

Amen to that

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #1,799 of 6,742

The midrange dip does show up in the measurements of the Elear, it's a rather sudden dip in the upper midrange/lower treble and it spikes back up in the mid-upper treble ranges, some people find this problematic in terms of midrange presentation. It's not really recessed mids, the Nighthawk for example has somewhat recessed mids but it doesn't have the same situation the Elear has, the Elear suffers from a midrange dip in the presence region which is a bit different as it affects the perceived body and presence of the midrange. I have found it problematic at first but not a big deal once I adjusted to it's sound personally. Of course it does depends on peoples ears and systems, some people are more sensitive to this region than others, etc.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #1,800 of 6,742
One minor niggle I noticed with my Elear. When adjusting the size, the left arm makes a precise, metalic clicking sound when pushing the arm into the headband, but on the right sound it makes a dull sound without much of a click. It makes me wonder if something is wrong with the right side.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

I tried disassembling the headband to see if I could find the source of the difference but I didn't make it very far. The headband doesn't seem to be user serviceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back