Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #437 of 6,742
I bough the Elear a month ago and I think they are great and probably the best at the $1k range but I made the mistake to get a Utopia loaner and not the upgrade bug got me so probably soon my Elear with Wywires Red cable will go to the for sale forum to raise funds for the Utopia.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 13, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #438 of 6,742
So you tried to hook people with Elear already to buy extra Utopia? Tempting.

Well clearly you can tell that it's necessary to own both in order to focus the true power of the Focals.  
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #439 of 6,742
  Well clearly you can tell that it's necessary to own both in order to focus the true power of the Focals.  
biggrin.gif

Good impressions.... Glad to hear that you think the Elear trumps the T1 in the sonic dept.

I've never been completely satisfied with the build quality on the T1... Always felt that the suspension system, headband/ slider mechanism was a bit lacking in the durability dept. The Elear looks to be a more robust long term solution.

If you're saying it sounds better than the T1 as well... damn!
Come the #$%^ on Headroom!
Send me my tracking number already!

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #440 of 6,742
Good impressions.... Glad to hear that you think the Elear trumps the T1 in the sonic dept.

I've never been completely satisfied with the build quality on the T1... Always felt that the suspension system, headband/ slider mechanism was a bit lacking in the durability dept. The Elear looks to be a more robust long term solution.

If you're saying it sounds better than the T1 as well... damn!
Come the #$%^ on Headroom!
Send me my tracking number already!

Haha! I think the T1 is quite sturdy, but early release issues on the T1.2 makes for a problematic situation. Here's to hoping the T2 gets it right, and at the get go too (not after several silent of revisions).

Elear and T1 are tilted differently. Elear has its greatest strengths in the bass and mids, where as the T1 has it in the upper mids and highs. They would actually make pretty decent complements...and I would've purchased the Elear outright if I didn't have Z1R to contend with. So hurry up Sony and ship me the z1r please.

At any ratr, I think you'll really enjoy the Elear....so congrats!

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #441 of 6,742
hi guys, would Elear sound terrible w/ an OTL amp? i am worried it is not a great pairing w/ my WA2 and i'll need to pickup an SS amp to complement, i demoed it w/ a WA22 which was fantastic but WA2 maybe less than ideal as its much weaker

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #443 of 6,742
hi guys, would Elear sound terrible w/ an OTL amp? i am worried it is not a great pairing w/ my WA2 and i'll need to pickup an SS amp to complement, i demoed it w/ a WA22 which was fantastic but WA2 maybe less than ideal as its much weaker

I don't think so. I am using WA6se with only 1/4 power usage, and it sounds loud already. I think wa2 and WA6se roughly produce same power output. I use Elear.

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #444 of 6,742
I don't think so. I am using WA6se with only 1/4 power usage, and it sounds loud already. I think wa2 and WA6se roughly produce same power output. I use Elear.

from what i understand the transformer coupled WA6se is very good w/ low impedance headphones, whereas an OTL amp like WA2 is not. i have tried headphones like AKG, hifiman, etc in the past w/ WA2 only to be very disappointed. the WA2 only sounds good w/ high impedance headphones like Senn/Beyer i think, which is why im worried about the Elear

Sep 13, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #445 of 6,742
from what i understand the transformer coupled WA6se is very good w/ low impedance headphones, whereas an OTL amp like WA2 is not. i have tried headphones like AKG, hifiman, etc in the past w/ WA2 only to be very disappointed. the WA2 only sounds good w/ high impedance headphones like Senn/Beyer i think, which is why im worried about the Elear

I see.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #446 of 6,742
Is anyone using the Nordost Heimdall 2s with the Elears? If you are, did you get them re-terminated or are you using adaptors? If you are using adaptors, where did you get them from? Thanks in advance!

Sep 15, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #448 of 6,742
...and what would be the purpose and/or end results for this poll?

Sep 15, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #450 of 6,742
  ...and what would be the purpose and/or end results for this poll?

To give better feedback to Focal, I thought it good to have a poll to see what types of cable customers would want for their Elear or Utopia headphones.  Maybe if there's enough requests, Focal will consider selling (or including) other cable options with their headphones.

As we've seen with some other vendors who engage with head-fi members, they may be responsive to customer requests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back