Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #466 of 6,742
  Got my Elear's today!

These are pretty comfortable. The headphone is a bit heavy, however it is well designed and distributes the weight well. The cable is really thick and long, I see what you guys are saying.

The sound, well it's not exactly how I imagined. What I'm hearing is a buttery smooth mid-range, which is thick and full. The mid-range is really the center and highlight of the sound to me. The highs seem a little bit soft at times, but natural.The bass is very good, but it doesn't really blow my mind either. It's just nice solid low end. It's not some slamming basshead can. It's natural sounding and smooth with some bass boost.

I played a bunch of my favorite EDM songs, and TBH it didn't engage me like my Ultrasones do. I think I'm so used to the V shape sound of those, that I'm finding the relative boosted mid-range of these and smoothed down softer highs to be less engaging. They don't have as hard bass impact either. I'm a little disappointed in this regard. I think these are more balanced than I thought. It's not really a knock on these, it's just they aren't tuned to be super aggressive. More like lush, full, and rounded.

I must admit vocals sound stunningly superb. It's like a tube type warmth these have. They are very beautiful and smooth sounding in the mid-range. Simply lovely.

They seem like they'd make an awesome all rounder type of headphone. They just sound really good and pleasing, like the best of many worlds.

The Ultrasone is tuned very differently, with very hard hitting bass and aggressive treble, and a leaner colder recessed mid-range.

I actually think these might be opposite of the Ultrasone sound signature. It's hard to adjust when you're used to a certain sound signature...

I don't know if I'm hearing the 4k recess, but it sounds like something somewhere isn't quite there. Something sounds a little muted or soft in the highs.

These are very early impressions, just got the headphone brand new, today.

This oddly seems familiar... 
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #468 of 6,742
  To your listening impressions?

Yea, mostly. I've always thought the Elear's bass slam/impact has been exaggerated a lot. Then again I guess that depends on a lot what you're used to listening on or have experienced. I will say that I tried the Elears on a different source yesterday (Cayin i5) and thought they had more punch than on a few other of my sources.

I'm listening to some Norah Jones DSD tracks on my Elear right now and like you said, DEM VOCALS THO. 

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #469 of 6,742
you're spot on with that.

If you come from HD800, you might say wow, the Elears have a lot of bass, whereas if you come from fostex/ultrasone it's not as much.

Same with these people coming from the HD650 hearing the Elear, saying the mids aren't that special, but for us people used to recessed mids, it's like woah these Elears have an incredible midrange.

Hence, so many impressions and the crazy world of Head-fi!

Sep 16, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #470 of 6,742
Am I the only one who appreciates the robustness of this stock cable. IDK. It's long length is bothering me less and less. Given this headphones marvelous SQ, to me it's a minor quibble.

While it is long it is also an excellent cable.  I just use the velcro wraps that came with it.  Shorten cable at cable end and good to go.  Maybe not good for walking around but as a desktop setup it is great.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #471 of 6,742
My Elear just arrived.

I'm about 20 songs into listening, and I'm really enjoying so far. Most notable moment was listening to LCD Soundsystem's "Dance Yrself Clean", where I swear I heard more detail and better imaging than I've ever heard with that song before. This is why I buy new headphones, for moments like that. Awesome.

Definitely needs a new cable, though. This rubber monster is just too unwieldy.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #472 of 6,742
  you're spot on with that.

If you come from HD800, you might say wow, the Elears have a lot of bass, whereas if you come from fostex/ultrasone it's not as much.

Same with these people coming from the HD650 hearing the Elear, saying the mids aren't that special, but for us people used to recessed mids, it's like woah these Elears have an incredible midrange.

Hence, so many impressions and the crazy world of Head-fi!

Twerk-congratulations on getting them,but,maybe you should give them a bit more time,like 1 week-10days??
How would you classify them,warm,neutral,bright??

Please continue with your impressions,mine are coming in on Monday,and I'm coming from a Stax 009 rig,.so..I have no idea ,what to expect,if it sounds like a HD650,or,HD800 on steroids,,I'll be happy.LOL

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #473 of 6,742
I would say towards warm for sure. There is sparkle, however, the warm bass and smooth midrange just take it to the warm side.

There is a "rounded fullness" quality to the sound. Analog like. Thick, rich, and full.

It's a great headphone for sure, those were just my initial impressions out of the box.

Please also post your impressions on Monday when you get yours! I'm sure you'll love them.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #474 of 6,742
I would say towards warm for sure. There is sparkle, however, the warm bass and smooth midrange just take it to the warm side.

There is a "rounded fullness" quality to the sound. Analog like.

It's a great headphone for sure, those were just my initial impressions out of the box.

Please also post your impressions on Monday when you get yours! I'm sure you'll love them.

What's the rest of your rig TWerk?

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #475 of 6,742
I have a Nuforce HA-200 as a desktop amp. However, they sound great in my macbook laptop and even into the phone. They are really efficient.

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #476 of 6,742
I have a Nuforce HA-200 as a desktop amp. However, they sound great in my macbook laptop and even into the phone. They are really efficient.

Gotcha. I'll have to look up that amp. I like hearing what people's interpretation of the sound is in refemcrfe to the rest of the puzzle. And I bet you did enjoy the mids if you are used to recessed!

Sep 16, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #478 of 6,742
Most of my cans are really efficient and often times, I'm fine just plugging straight into the laptop. I like buying very efficient headphones for that reason.

I'd much rather spend the money on different headphones and stick with a modest desktop amp.

I tried the amp thing awhile when I bought lots of amps to try out and it was just a pain. My Ultrasones pair really well with the Nuforce, which is why it has stayed.

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #479 of 6,742
I was trying to tell you that they weren't a basshead can, but rather a neutral-leaning headphone with a healthy bump to the bass.

The Purplehearts that you ordered will probably please you with their amount of very deep bass.

Sep 17, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #480 of 6,742
Indeed. I've got my Ultrasones, the PurpleHearts (per your recommendation), and an incoming DT1770 to satisfy my itch for EDM.

I can use a more balanced pair to really give me some excellent mids and vocals.

The whole frequency response is pretty versatile, I think.

I'm glad it's open back too, it's kinda a slight departure from my line-up of closed bass heavy cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back