Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #631 of 6,742
Looking at recent posted image of the Elear it does looks quite beefy ain't it? I know that people said that the weight are evenly distributed across the headband and all, but still... Maybe I'm just spoiled by my MA900 lately..

Sep 23, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #632 of 6,742
Looking at recent posted image of the Elear it does looks quite beefy ain't it? I know that people said that the weight are evenly distributed across the headband and all, but still... Maybe I'm just spoiled by my MA900 lately..

the MA cable is like something you 'd find in a sewing kit

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #633 of 6,742
Duly noted... A haha yeah sometimes I find it troublesome... As it's long and thin. Ah well will keep using it and see how long it stays. And recable when it fails.
It does stay in line with the design philosophy though, as it weights nothing.
AH, I was talking about the build BTW, just realised that it can be taken the other way

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #634 of 6,742
I now own the Elear. And I love it. Straight out of the box I knew it was just right (for me). The tonal balance, it's refinement and detail . Very very happy.

(Don't let me listen to the Utopia)

Sep 23, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #635 of 6,742
Question has anyone tried the elears with the cayin c5 ??

I was listening to the Elear last night for about 4 hours with the C5 (dac version) and it sounds pretty good with the bass boost switch engaged. 
Without the bass switch engaged the sound is fairly lean compared to what the Elear sounds like out of a full sized amp.

I think that is something people need to be aware of with this headphone. Focal's design intent is/ was very clearly for home use, through full sized equipment. No 3.5mm adapter, a massive cord, no travel case, very open architecture, and an 80ohm driver rating (even though sensitivity is relatively high).

It's major selling point, for me, is the dynamics, weight, punch that it portrays music with. It does the bass head punchy thing while still giving you world class mids and treble. A pretty remarkable accomplishment.

But (Big But!) that rich, dense, dynamic weight that it is so good at, seems to fall off significantly when connected to portable amps.
WIth all of my portable amps, ALO National, iFi iDSD and to a lesser extent with the C5 there was a pretty significant performance delta... and it wasn't about the DAC section because I fed my big rig amps with the dacs on the portables and it sounded outstanding.

Whether it is because the driver is overdamped with too low an output impedance (ala AKG KXXX series) or because battery powered amps typically don't have large capacitor banks for reserve power.... I couldn't say, but something doesn't translate.

I haven't personally heard the pairing but I tend to think the Mojo is going to fall in this category as well. The Mojo wasn't designed for full size cans and the Elear clearly wasn't designed for portable use.

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #636 of 6,742
I was listening to the Elear last night for about 4 hours with the C5 (dac version) and it sounds pretty good with the bass boost switch engaged. 
Without the bass switch engaged the sound is fairly lean compared to what the Elear sounds like out of a full sized amp.

I think that is something people need to be aware of with this headphone. Focal's design intent is/ was very clearly for home use, through full sized equipment. No 3.5mm adapter, a massive cord, no travel case, very open architecture, and an 80ohm driver rating (even though sensitivity is relatively high).

It's major selling point, for me, is the dynamics, weight, punch that it portrays music with. It does the bass head punchy thing while still giving you world class mids and treble. A pretty remarkable accomplishment.

But (Big But!) that rich, dense, dynamic weight that it is so good at, seems to fall off significantly when connected to portable amps.
WIth all of my portable amps, ALO National, iFi iDSD and to a lesser extent with the C5 there was a pretty significant performance delta... and it wasn't about the DAC section because I fed my big rig amps with the dacs on the portables and it sounded outstanding.

Whether it is because the driver is overdamped with too low an output impedance (ala AKG KXXX series) or because battery powered amps typically don't have large capacitor banks for reserve power.... I couldn't say, but something doesn't translate.

I haven't personally heard the pairing but I tend to think the Mojo is going to fall in this category as well. The Mojo wasn't designed for full size cans and the Elear clearly wasn't designed for portable use.

Is this also concerning the QP1R?

Sep 23, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #637 of 6,742
I tend to think so.
Like the Mojo, I've not heard the Elear with the the QP1R, but the QP1R is pretty obviously designed for easier loads direct from its headphone socket.

It won't sound bad per se.... It just won't sound anywhere near as good as it could.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #641 of 6,742

The Mojo is an excellent pairing for the Elear IMO. Tonality is great. Way more power than the Elear needs. I have mine quite frequently below the double red dot setting. That's super low in the Mojo volume scale.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #642 of 6,742
Anyone tried the Elear with the Sony PHA3 portable amp through balanced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back