Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #5,236 of 6,742
Yep, cool! Although I meant all variations on all different headphones. Although it sounds like that's in the works.

Yep!
Good measurements (and developing iterations) take time, and we set ourselves up with a backlog seeing as how many different pads we stock ^_^'`

We’ll try our best to measure in-between expanding to pads for more headphones, as well as experimenting with new materials and potentially more audio accessories...

Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Jun 30, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #5,238 of 6,742
Yep!
Good measurements (and developing iterations) take time, and we set ourselves up with a backlog seeing as how many different pads we stock ^_^'`

We’ll try our best to measure in-between expanding to pads for more headphones, as well as experimenting with new materials and potentially more audio accessories...

Damnit, Dekoni! Supposed to be saving for a wedding over here and then these impressions come in... what she doesn't know, doesn't get me in trouble
salty.gif

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:27 AM Post #5,239 of 6,742
Damnit, Dekoni! Supposed to be saving for a wedding over here and then these impressions come in... what she doesn't know, doesn't get me in trouble
salty.gif
Just tell her how much money you're saving by upgrading a pair of pads rather than a whole new headphone! :p

Jun 30, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #5,241 of 6,742
@gLer Pure. Genius.

If this is the last post from me, at you'll know what happened to me
thicksmile.gif
Haha, with time, patience and skill, you'll soon be able to grow you collection way past the point where your significant other even knows what you've done. It's all part of the Dark Arts of Head-Fi (there should be a forum sticky on this, mods!).

Jul 2, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #5,243 of 6,742
So, it seems that Sonarworks True-Fi (software EQ for Mac and Windows that corrects a number of specific headphones' frequency responses to near-flat) basically fixes these headphones for me, removing the muffled sound. It is enough of an improvement that I think that this might be my main non-portable setup until I receive my Audeze Mobius.

If anyone else wants to try it out, the software has a 10-day free trial. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to buy it - I'll probably wait for my Mobius, and with that I will hopefully be done with traditional full-size headphones like the Elear (I expect to still sometimes use my Koss KSC-75 and Panasonic RP-HT21, given their extreme portability).

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #5,244 of 6,742
I've never cared for that piece of software, lots of open source software that's free & better go look..enjoy

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #5,245 of 6,742
So, it seems that Sonarworks True-Fi (software EQ for Mac and Windows that corrects a number of specific headphones' frequency responses to near-flat) basically fixes these headphones for me, removing the muffled sound. It is enough of an improvement that I think that this might be my main non-portable setup until I receive my Audeze Mobius.

If anyone else wants to try it out, the software has a 10-day free trial. I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to buy it - I'll probably wait for my Mobius, and with that I will hopefully be done with traditional full-size headphones like the Elear (I expect to still sometimes use my Koss KSC-75 and Panasonic RP-HT21, given their extreme portability).

Been using the Reference 4 headphone version for some months now on both the Elear and Shure 1540. I rate it. The applied EQ makes a more significant difference with the Elear than it does to the Shure, but totally agree on the extra clarity it brings. Also really like being able to add +6db to the bass when in the mood for some electro!

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:53 PM Post #5,246 of 6,742
Other than the $150 replacement pads from Focal the only other ones I found are $90, are those the cheapest replacement pads there are? How Focal can charge $150 for some foam ear pads is ridiculous.

Jul 4, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #5,247 of 6,742
Other than the $150 replacement pads from Focal the only other ones I found are $90, are those the cheapest replacement pads there are? How Focal can charge $150 for some foam ear pads is ridiculous.
Well said. When you can buy better looking, better sounding and more comfortable pads from @DekoniAudio for less than $100, Focal has a cheek to charge what they do for their (in my opinion) poor quality pads. Clear pads are even worse - $250 for material pads that will stain and discolour with normal use. Very poor value.

Jul 4, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #5,248 of 6,742

Could you please describe for us the changes to the sound made by the software? I was coming to the forum just to ask for that

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #5,250 of 6,742
What kind of juice do the Elear require? I have a pair arriving tomorrow and I currently am running a Schiit Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2. Wondering if it will be enough power.

Not that much power is needed. Most portables will drive them. Your gear will get them jumping. As a sponsor and not being a dealer of Shiit I am not allowed to comment on that product in a good or bad way and not even to discribe the pairing as I see it. Enjoy your Elears! :)

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back