Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #5,207 of 6,742
ain't that the truth! nice to see you on the threads @Sonic Defender. Hope you are well!
I am, thanks and same to you. I have been less active for a vriety of reasons, but still read frequently while posting less often. I fear that trend will worsen as in September I will begin a two year Master of Social Work so free-time will be a rare commodity for me. Currently listening to some Pat Metheny via the FiiO Q5 (love this device) and my Pioneer SE Monitor 5. Quite nice combination.

Jun 21, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #5,208 of 6,742
No creaking while wearing them (ala the Meze 99s). and the clamp force is JEP!!!!

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #5,209 of 6,742
Every time I listen to a pair of one of my other headphones for a while and think that they sound about as good as the Elear does, I then listen to them to remind me that's not the case. They really do have a sound that other headphones I have just can't compare, and while I like my other hp's they just don't have that dynamic in your face punch like the Elear and for music like edm and rock they're amazingly good.

Jun 27, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #5,210 of 6,742
I’ve just ‘upgraded’ my Elears with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads and I’m more convinced than ever that these are some of the most underrated headphones around.

Yes I know they were hyped to death at launch, but mainly for their punchy, dynamic sound. With the new pads I’m finding them just as suitable for just about any genre - from classical to light acoustic to female vocal to folk to rock.

The imaging and layering is superb, the bass is never overwhelming and perfectly weighted, the detail is exceptional and the soundstage is perfectly spacious and airy.

I think the original Elear pads - however comfortable - are also its downfall. Poorly made, mine have already degraded considerably, and as can be seen with the Elex, a different material and design makes this headphone feel completely different.

I don’t know what the Dekoni pads are doing but a big shout out to @DekoniAudio for making something so good, it should be stock standard. @FocalOfficial you should really be working more closely with Dekoni - you could learn a thing or two :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #5,211 of 6,742
I’ve just ‘upgraded’ my Elears with the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads and I’m more convinced than ever that these are some of the most underrated headphones around.

Yes I know they were hyped to death at launch, but mainly for their punchy, dynamic sound. With the new pads I’m finding them just as suitable for just about any genre - from classical to light acoustic to female vocal to folk to rock.

The imaging and layering is superb, the bass is never overwhelming and perfectly weighted, the detail is exceptional and the soundstage is perfectly spacious and airy.

I think the original Elear pads - however comfortable - are also its downfall. Poorly made, mine have already degraded considerably, and as can be seen with the Elex, a different material and design makes this headphone sound completely different.

I don’t know what the Dekoni pads are doing but a big shout out to @DekoniAudio for making something so good, it should be stock standard. @FocalOfficial you should really be working more closely with Dekoni - you could learn a thing or two :wink:
I’ve been hoping for more impressions of the dekoni pads. The hybrid has my eye but I can’t find enough impressions of the pairing

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #5,212 of 6,742
I’ve been hoping for more impressions of the dekoni pads. The hybrid has my eye but I can’t find enough impressions of the pairing
I tried the Elite sheepskin first and found them a touch closed in. Made the Elear sound semi closed, although the sound was still good and punchy as always.

The fenestrated just opens it up again, and seems to mitigate any slight dips in the midrange (which I’ve personally never had an issue with). Also seems to widen and deepen the soundstage and coax out more subtle details. Haven’t tried the hybrid but then I’m not a fan of hybrid pads. Also helps that the fenestrated pads make the Elear look even better than stock. If only there was a way to convert the headband cushion to leather... :frowning2:

Seriously, fabric on a headband is just a silly design choice, even worse on the Clear - I mean, light coloured fabric and hair oil, what were they thinking!?

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #5,213 of 6,742

I think the original Elear pads - however comfortable - are also its downfall. Poorly made, mine have already degraded considerably, and as can be seen with the Elex, a different material and design makes this headphone sound completely different.

I did some pad rolling around this time last year with the Elear, even designed a 3d printable pad adapter and tried a few different ones. Changing pads on these cans really makes a difference, glad there's a company out there taking advantage of this.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #5,217 of 6,742
Yeah but, we will get a different kind of sound or the same sound, but just better?

The question is confusing, I hope you understand.

Did you read what he wrote? He mentioned a couple of different frequency response changes, mostly in the mids where Elear is scooped out a bit. He also mentioned other changes apart from FR, like imaging and soundstage,.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:13 AM Post #5,218 of 6,742
Did you read what he wrote? He mentioned a couple of different frequency response changes, mostly in the mids where Elear is scooped out a bit. He also mentioned other changes apart from FR, like imaging and soundstage,.
Yeah, maybe I'm not very good at interpret the reviews, sorry about that. I will think about getting new pads anyway, since I hear that problem with the mids and I can't use sonaworks.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #5,219 of 6,742
Yeah but, we will get a different kind of sound or the same sound, but just better?

The question is confusing, I hope you understand.
Definitely different, whether or not it’s “better” only you can answer. I prefer it but you may not. I definitely prefer the look, feel and comfort.

Jun 27, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #5,220 of 6,742
Yeah, maybe I'm not very good at interpret the reviews, sorry about that. I will think about getting new pads anyway, since I hear that problem with the mids and I can't use sonaworks.
For what it’s worth, I don’t think the Elear has a problem with the mids, even with stock pads. But I could be in the minority on that one. Funny how some people bash the Elear for having “recessed” mids (in truth they’re just slightly less forward, and only in the upper mids), while having no issues with v-shaped cans where the mids sit three rows back from the highs and lows by design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back