Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,098 of 6,742
Dear god the case is as expensive as the ear pads.... Looks neat though

Quick update on my pad-swapping adventure:
To my frustration, the ZMF pads still sound better to my ears, even more so now after more testing.
I really wanted the stock pads to sound the best. Why? Well, it just feels kinda wrong to remove the earpads that Focal intended for these cans, that they were tuned for... Also, the ZMF's look stupid on the Elears, ruins the classy, clean appearance imo. I'm not able to "tuck" the pads in and make them flush with the Earcup, so they still stick out a little and it has kind of a "homemade" look to it. Still, the gains in sound quality are so significant, I can live with it.

Comfort is kind of a mixed bag, I find that the increased clamp force fatigues me quite badly over longer sessions. Initially they feel more comfortable because of the thicker, more roomy pads, but the ZMF's give me headaches over time. Hopefully the headband can be bent a little to decrease the clamp force.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #4,099 of 6,742
My experience with clamping force correction is do not try to bend the headband since if you do this you will get a good chance to move the whole weight of the elear on just a point on the top of the head instead you can easily bend a little the aluminum part sliding inside the headband as close as the ear cup as possible,
I did it and now the pressure is just right and they feel very comfortable something you cannot do with the Utopia because of the carbon fiber.
And by the way I love the elear they are just perfect for my type of music Jazz and even classical.

Dear god the case is as expensive as the ear pads.... Looks neat though

Quick update on my pad-swapping adventure:
To my frustration, the ZMF pads still sound better to my ears, even more so now after more testing.
I really wanted the stock pads to sound the best. Why? Well, it just feels kinda wrong to remove the earpads that Focal intended for these cans, that they were tuned for... Also, the ZMF's look stupid on the Elears, ruins the classy, clean appearance imo. I'm not able to "tuck" the pads in and make them flush with the Earcup, so they still stick out a little and it has kind of a "homemade" look to it. Still, the gains in sound quality are so significant, I can live with it.

Comfort is kind of a mixed bag, I find that the increased clamp force fatigues me quite badly over longer sessions. Initially they feel more comfortable because of the thicker, more roomy pads, but the ZMF's give me headaches over time. Hopefully the headband can be bent a little to decrease the clamp force.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #4,100 of 6,742
$149 shipped to the consumer that wishes to own them.

Warranty against zipper breakage? If it weren't so expensive, I wouldn't care. But I have heard of headphone case zippers being a weak link so I need to ask this time.

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #4,101 of 6,742
My experience with clamping force correction is do not try to bend the headband since if you do this you will get a good chance to move the whole weight of the elear on just a point on the top of the head instead you can easily bend a little the aluminum part sliding inside the headband,
I did it and now the pressure is just right and they feel very comfortable something you cannot do with the Utopia because of the carbon fiber.
And by the way I love the elear they are just perfect for my type of music Jazz and even classical.
yeah I've done the same thing with the alu yokes, as originally too much of the pressure was on my chin (under my ear). The clamp is still a little much for me, but I'm hoping the pads will flatten a little with time (they're quite new still).

Sep 24, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #4,102 of 6,742
Warranty against zipper breakage? If it weren't so expensive, I wouldn't care. But I have heard of headphone case zippers being a weak link so I need to ask this time.

Hahahaha that is both funny and sad you had to ask. I don’t think anything Focal has less than a 1 year but I’ll send the question to see how it’s answered. Maybe with luck they’ll see this and reply to that question.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 25, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #4,106 of 6,742
I have tried couple of cheap alternatives for a 3.5 mm connection from the Elear to my Chord Mojo. I’m noticing ever so slight loss of detail with all those cheap cables and adapters. None of them have the rich sound which the OFC cable has.

Could you guys please suggest a good cable (atleast as good as the OFC) which terminates in 3.5 mm adaptor end.

Chord Mojo cable pack is another alternative. I cannot find the very useful search thread function in new head-fi.

Sep 25, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #4,107 of 6,742
Hahahaha that is both funny and sad you had to ask. I don’t think anything Focal has less than a 1 year but I’ll send the question to see how it’s answered. Maybe with luck they’ll see this and reply to that question.
it's sad that it's a question, but not a bad one "sadly"... I feel like since it's a hard case it would be safer for the zipper then a soft case that has room to move. Just don't over stuff it (why zippers break) and you will be good!

Sep 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4,108 of 6,742
I have tried couple of cheap alternatives for a 3.5 mm connection from the Elear to my Chord Mojo. I’m noticing ever so slight loss of detail with all those cheap cables and adapters. None of them have the rich sound which the OFC cable has.

Could you guys please suggest a good cable (atleast as good as the OFC) which terminates in 3.5 mm adaptor end.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072M874JM/
I just got this cable in and it works quite well with my Elears. Having a difficult time distinguishing between this and the stock cable in terms of sound quality.

Sep 25, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #4,110 of 6,742
Howdy ya'll - have a question for those HD650/Elear owners, I know this type of question has been raised before, but I want to ask it more specifically to the community here. I am going to purchase my first "hifi" headphone, the Elear, current most hifi is my HD650. I have seen information saying the Elear is a "better" HD650, I have also seen information saying they are very, very different. My understanding is the Elear is neutral with slightly recessed upper-midrange, while the HD650 is warm, midrange-centric with relaxed treble. I would like to keep my HD650 and purchase the Elear. My question is, will the two complement each other in any way, are they different enough to justify owning both, or are they so similar that owning both is more redundant than not? Thanks for you thoughts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back