Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #4,081 of 6,742
Did try pad-swapping on the Elears today!
I've previously tried with angled HM5 pleathers and no damping material, I didn't like the sound at all. This time I tried the ZMF lambskin pads, and using one layer of a regular 3-layer toilet paper as damping material. It is the only damping material I have available, as it's hard to find the earlier mentioned Charcoal foam here in Norway.
IMG_3767.JPGIMG_3772.JPG IMG_3770.JPG

Attached the pads by some pieces of double-sided tape.
IMG_3765.JPG IMG_3766.JPG

It's not a perfect fit, the ZMF pads are slightly bigger than the Elear cups. If I decide to make the mod more permanent, I'll probably use a stronger tape and try to make the pad fit a little better.
IMG_3774.JPG IMG_3775.JPG IMG_3776.JPG IMG_3779.JPG

Results:
Comfort's gone up, that's for sure. The stock Elear pads are so soft and compresses so easily, my ears actually touch the inside of the cup. It's not a big problem and I still find the Elear very comfortable with stock pads, but the ZMF's are even more comfortable. Clamp is a little stronger though, as the ZMF's are thicker and stiffer.

Sound: This one is a little difficult. If my ears are adjusted to the sound of the stock pads, the ZMF's sound a little too distant in vocals, and lacking a little in clarity and "edge".
When my ears are adjusted to the sound of the ZMF's, the vocals sound completely fine. Switching back to the stock pads then, I feel like vocals are too close and smeared out.

I could not find a change in overall resolution when swapping pads, detail retrieval, texture, layering seems unaffected to my ears. Dynamics and bass is as great as always.
Soundstage is definitely improved, especially in depth/height) but also in width, overall more expansive. I suppose this is because of the added distance between ear and driver, and also because the ZMF pads are angled. Separation may also be better, but that could also be the added expansiveness fooling my brain.
Using a sine sweep tone confirmed my suspicion that the ZMF pads reduce the 4k dip quite significantly. So if the 4k dip is bothering you, this pad swap may be the answer for you.

Overall I think I enjoy the ZMF pads more than the stock pads, after letting my ears adjust to either pad. I will probably try A/B-ing again in a few days, and land on a final decision. For now, the ZMF pads stay on :)

Sep 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #4,082 of 6,742
To follow up that last post, I received my revised pad adapters today. Had them made using SLS/Nylon rather than FDM/ABS since FDM/ABS wasn't giving me the resolution/tolerances I wanted and ABS is fairly brittle and in-flexible.

Also made a couple of fitment adjustments and all is well. Had to clean them up a bit, smooth some edges, and clean out the gap where the pad lip inserts (due to how SLS printing takes place). All in all I'm pretty happy with the end result. (Got white because they were cheaper and you won't see them anyway).

2JzzkOZ.jpg

Sep 21, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #4,083 of 6,742
To follow up that last post, I received my revised pad adapters today. Had them made using SLS/Nylon rather than FDM/ABS since FDM/ABS wasn't giving me the resolution/tolerances I wanted and ABS is fairly brittle and in-flexible.

Also made a couple of fitment adjustments and all is well. Had to clean them up a bit, smooth some edges, and clean out the gap where the pad lip inserts (due to how SLS printing takes place). All in all I'm pretty happy with the end result. (Got white because they were cheaper and you won't see them anyway).

2JzzkOZ.jpg
Adapters are looking nice! My problem, however, is that I need to push the pads INWARDS so that they fit the Elear cup more smoothly. I don't think the adapters can help me with that :frowning2: It's not a big deal though, just aesthetic.

If you're using smaller pads, like HM5, those adapters are a great way to make it feel more "perfect" and less "homemade".

Sep 21, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #4,084 of 6,742
Mine are also replaced by Focal, 2 weeks ago. Also had driver that just ‘died’. Same feeling: great headphone, but for how long this time...
Do you know if they solved the issue that drivers just die? So that my new pair probably should be there to enjoy for many years.

I'm not sure but I would imagine that Focal has fixed these issues..

Sep 22, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #4,086 of 6,742
Tell me how the WA8 is with the elear, heard it does great with some tube amps despite its warm nature.
Will do! It will arrive today so I'm excited to try it and see what it's like compared to the Mojo.

As a quick update...now I know why people say what they do about the Utopias. I really like the Elears, and no shock to anyone the Utopias are, well, just ridiculously good.

As someone who appreciates really good bass/punch/impact/etc., or in layman's term I wanna feel it but it needs to be very accurate, the Utopias hit, IMHO, just as hard as the Elears but with all the benefits already well documented. There were some thoughts shared that by liking the Elears I may not like the Utopias, but it's almost the opposite...the Utopias take all the good from the Elear; eliminate the bad; and make you stop in you tracks just to listen to guitar strings getting plucked or a pipe organ going super low or a drum set being rocked by a master drummer.

Some initial thoughts, more to come.

Sep 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #4,087 of 6,742
Will do! It will arrive today so I'm excited to try it and see what it's like compared to the Mojo.

As a quick update...now I know why people say what they do about the Utopias. I really like the Elears, and no shock to anyone the Utopias are, well, just ridiculously good.

As someone who appreciates really good bass/punch/impact/etc., or in layman's term I wanna feel it but it needs to be very accurate, the Utopias hit, IMHO, just as hard as the Elears but with all the benefits already well documented. There were some thoughts shared that by liking the Elears I may not like the Utopias, but it's almost the opposite...the Utopias take all the good from the Elear; eliminate the bad; and make you stop in you tracks just to listen to guitar strings getting plucked or a pipe organ going super low or a drum set being rocked by a master drummer.

Some initial thoughts, more to come.
How do you feel the comfort is between the two? To my surprise, I found the Utopia less comfortable than the Elear when I put them on my head. Weren't able to hear them, because they had a balanced cable and I only had my Hugo available :frowning2:
This post made me even more eager to hear the Utopia lol.

Sep 22, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #4,088 of 6,742
How do you feel the comfort is between the two? To my surprise, I found the Utopia less comfortable than the Elear when I put them on my head. Weren't able to hear them, because they had a balanced cable and I only had my Hugo available :frowning2:
This post made me even more eager to hear the Utopia lol.
I find the Utopia as comfortable as the Elear...no noticeable different in fit comfort, both are very comfortable for my cro magnon head...for anyone with a big head, and for context I wear a size 7 1/2 to 8 fitted baseball cap, rest assured either fit well.

On a kind of related note...got the WA8 today...have only listened a bit with it, but holy #$#$# is it good...just to compare with a set of cans I know really well, I A/B tested the WA8 and Mojo with my Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow (before boxing up for the final time)...and WOW, if I had the WA8 before I may not have felt the need to try other headphones...to be clear, there's no doubt the Utopia are better, but the bass brought out by the WA8 in the Ether C Flow vs. the Mojo was exactly what I was missing before...I need to take a look back through on paper at their comparative specs, but I can tell you specs aside that if you have the Ether C Flows you should without a doubt get the WA8 for them.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #4,089 of 6,742
I'm sorry to hear people are having trouble with their drivers either breaking up or dying. At least the warrants try will cover a replacement headphone. Still, it's a hassle.

For now I'm enjoying the heck out of my pair. The new Sgt Pepper's stereo remix really sounds incredible through the Elears.

Sep 23, 2017 at 12:48 AM Post #4,090 of 6,742
I find the Utopia as comfortable as the Elear...no noticeable different in fit comfort, both are very comfortable for my cro magnon head...for anyone with a big head, and for context I wear a size 7 1/2 to 8 fitted baseball cap, rest assured either fit well.

On a kind of related note...got the WA8 today...have only listened a bit with it, but holy #$#$# is it good...just to compare with a set of cans I know really well, I A/B tested the WA8 and Mojo with my Mr. Speakers Ether C Flow (before boxing up for the final time)...and WOW, if I had the WA8 before I may not have felt the need to try other headphones...to be clear, there's no doubt the Utopia are better, but the bass brought out by the WA8 in the Ether C Flow vs. the Mojo was exactly what I was missing before...I need to take a look back through on paper at their comparative specs, but I can tell you specs aside that if you have the Ether C Flows you should without a doubt get the WA8 for them.

It's a synergy / pairing thing, not a spec thing. The Mojo outperforms the WA8 on all specs including power yet many prefer the WA8 over / in addition to the Mojo. Glad the ETHER C pairs well with the WA8.

:)

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #4,091 of 6,742
Just sold my Oppo PM-1 and ordered a pair of Focal Elear !
I will use them with the Oppo Ha-1 dac/amp and be able to compare them to my modded he400i and modded M1060.

Cant wait to get them shipped to Montreal from Pennsilvania (prices here in Canada are way too high).
I'll give you my impressions...... any suggestions ?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #4,092 of 6,742
Just sold my Oppo PM-1 and ordered a pair of Focal Elear !
I will use them with the Oppo Ha-1 dac/amp and be able to compare them to my modded he400i and modded M1060.

Cant wait to get them shipped to Montreal from Pennsilvania (prices here in Canada are way too high).
I'll give you my impressions...... any suggestions ?
Can't remember if I've said it before, but I was massively underwhelmed by the PM-1. It was only a short AB-test vs my Elears and my ears didn't have time to adjust to the PM-1, so it wasn't really a fair test. Still, I can't get over how small, flat and dull the PM-1 sounded in comparison (used a HA-1 to drive Both). Will look forward to your impressions and see if my own were completely off.

The day I heard the PM-1 was also the day I demo'd the HA-1 and Chord Hugo with my Elear. The HA-1 was pretty good, brought out some real bass slam and dynamics from the Elear. A little lacking in refinement, especially in the treble area, compared to the Hugo IMO. Still, definitely not a bad pairing.

Also looking forward to comparisons especially to the modded m1060! That was something I searched for when I first decided to get the Elear, but couldn't find any good comparisons.
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back