Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 20, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #2,117 of 5,632
Been trying the Elear from different sources/amps. So far it has sounded great on everything I've thrown at it.

That cable though... 
blink.gif

I wouldn't mind it as much if they included a lighter, shorter balanced or 3.5mm cable, but that thing is a beast. It's almost like a heavy duty extension cord. Gladly would have paid an extra $100 or so if they included a better cable selection.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #2,120 of 5,632
One thing I'm finding that's interesting with the Utopia is how easy it is to drive, yet how ridiculously dynamic it is (and I presume the Elear as well). I think volume matching is going to play a huge part in varying impressions here. I also feel that although it's relatively easy to drive it deserves a great source.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #2,121 of 5,632
What does it exactly mean when you say "how dynamic" it is?

Is this how impactful the sound is? Is that characteristic of the mid-bass punch?

Everyone raves how dynamic these two headphones sound, but what precisely does this mean?

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:51 PM Post #2,122 of 5,632

Is this how impactful the sound is? Is that characteristic of the mid-bass slam?

Everyone raves how dynamic these two headphones sound, what precisely does this mean?

I'll go in to more detail when I write up my impressions (which will be a while until I get used to these), but basically, in the simplest terms I can describe, at the same dB output as other headphones that I have on hand the Utopia sounds louder to my ears, but it isn't when roughly measured. Dynamism, punch, separation, the things usually associated with much louder volume. The difference heard isn't subtle like what is typically found with a 1-2 dB discrepancy. More like a perceived 10-15 dB difference, but the measurements are no where near that different, at least that's what I'm hearing.

When I first received the Utopia I initially turned my volume waaaay down before I thought to check the dB output (which turned out to be about 60dB when I thought it was about 85dB). I was quite surprised when I saw how different the volume output was based on my initial perception by ear. To be clear, I'm not saying every user should crank the volume with these to get great punch and dynamics, I'm saying I don't think you need to at all and would hazard to guess most will listen at a lower dB output. Yeah, it's different. More later...

P.S. From the Mojo I don't even get in to the double red setting, or just on the edge of double red volume (which is at the low end of the spectrum), for what I feel is a great listening level with great dynamics, punch and separation.

Edit: Another way to put it would be... take your music playing on your regular gear and when you want to rock out you typically crank the volume. What I'm getting with the Utopia is that sensation without cranking the volume.

Aug 20, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #2,123 of 5,632
Please let us know how it performs with Metal, I haven't read any reviews saying a word about this!

What kind of metal? What do you want to know? I listened to parts of several metal tracks with it, though I didn't call any of them out specifically in my impressions post.

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #2,124 of 5,632

Is this how impactful the sound is? Is that characteristic of the mid-bass punch?

Everyone raves how dynamic these two headphones sound, but what precisely does this mean?
kick, punch, drive, speed, thrust of the delivery of the sound. Kind of like the effect of the overall pace and impact of all the individual instruments coming together.

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2,125 of 5,632
What kind of metal? What do you want to know? I listened to parts of several metal tracks with it, though I didn't call any of them out specifically in my impressions post.

How does it perform with, say, old skool (thrash) metal like Metallica? Does the electric guitar sound genuine? How about when the drummer plays fast, does it sound like you're almost there, like a "live" concert? In short, does it give you goosebumps, or do you go, meh, could be better...

Aug 20, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #2,126 of 5,632
Congrats!!!

Did you by chance, ask your dealer about replacement ear pads?  With all the pad rolling talk, I was wondering if you're interested in trying the Elear pads also?

Listening to it I can only say that I wouldn't want any more bass from the Utopia. There is more than enough bass, for me at least. I might try the Elear pads out of curiosity but I'm not clamoring for them. If I happen to try them I might really like them but as it stands I feel it has a pretty balanced sound.

Aug 20, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #2,127 of 5,632
  How does it perform with, say, old skool (thrash) metal like Metallica? Does the electric guitar sound genuine? How about when the drummer plays fast, does it sound like you're almost there, like a "live" concert? In short, does it give you goosebumps, or do you go, meh, could be better...

Guitars sound fantastic. FAN.TAS.TIC. Nothing is lost from the drums in terms of clarity or fidelity during the fast parts. Nothing blurs together. It gives me the goosebumps, it's obviously pretty subjective, but I don't see how somebody couldn't be blown away by it. Some may like a little more impact, but I found the impact to be quite satisfactory, personally.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #2,129 of 5,632
Volts RMS required to reach 90dB SPL:

Spirit Pro 0.036 Vrms
Spirit Classic 0.043 Vrms
TH-900 0.062 Vrms
Utopia 0.073 Vrms
Elear 0.096 Vrms
HD650 0.205 Vrms
HD800 0.242 Vrms

Yes, the Utopia is quite easy to drive. It's also very revealing of the quality of source gear.

Strange that the Elear is listed as slightly more difficult to drive as they share the same impedance and sensitivity specs from the manufacturer.

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #2,130 of 5,632
Hi, x RELIC x
What is your opinion on this;
 Raw frequency response plots show some significant change in response between 200Hz and 2kHz with movement on head, the biggest range of change occurred between 1kHz and 2kHz. In listening test I clearly heard changes when moving the headphones forward and back on my head. When my ears were in the front of the cups it got brighter, when towards the rear of the cups it became warmer.
- http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/worlds-best-headphone-focal-utopia-measurements#uVPtH2OrEGAEe23r.99

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back