Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 17, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #2,041 of 5,632
Has any British audio magazines reviewed the Utopia?

paul

Aug 18, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #2,043 of 5,632
I have not heard any of the new Focal headphones so this is based on what I've read in Tyll's review. I am considering Tyll's review as a reference as I believe, Tyll heard both the new Focals in a noise free home condition for a considerable amount of time. Now.  when we are only talking about bass. 

Tyll says when comparing to Utopia," It's possible the bass seems just a tad stronger in the Elear given the slightly more emphatic upper-midrange and treble. To my ears, this is a markedly more refined sounding headphone."

Now this is after the fact that he also states "The Elear has excellent overall tonal balance. Bass is slightly low for my tastes, but bass is very tight and punchy, and extension is extraordinarily good for an open dynamic driver headphone."

When I read this, as a long time reader of IF, I'm assuming that Tyll's states that Elear has solved the issue of bass impact and punch, which generally lacks with open dynamic headphones. Now I feel, a lot of open planar magnetic headphone do not have this problem when in comparison to dynamic headphones. I used to have a HiFiMaN HE-5 and in terms of bass, it had a much better overall presentation in terms of harmonics, bass extension and impact when compared to my other open dynamic headphones E.G- AKG K501, 712 Pro, T1 (Semi Open) 

So when Tyll's states this, when comparing to Elear's bass "LCD-X has pretty clearly better resolution and control of the bass". I can sort of relate to what he is trying to say, from my own experience. 

Taking that into consideration from the above statements, a lot of folks might prefer the bass of Elear compared to Utopia, if they feel they want more bass coming out of their open dynamic headphones. Personally, I think one needs to spend a lot of time with both the headphones to come to their own conclusions, as with more time with a gear the sound tends to grow on the person listening to it. Just my two cents. Eagerly waiting to audition both of them when they arrive at the Focal stores in India. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #2,044 of 5,632

After the Brexit vote, are Brit mags entitled to touch anything from the continent?

Only by vote of the people. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #2,045 of 5,632
I like bass too (which is why I own the TH900), but according to everything I've read so far, Focal has nailed it, meaning they've dialed in everything to sound perfectly together (nothing overpowers each other, not the bass, mids nor treble). Besides, those who still need more bass can always swap pads with the Elear, or you could go the EQ route. Either way, if Tyll says it's not an issue, I believe he's correct in his assertion and will trust his judgment.

I'll let y'all know how it really sounds compared to my TH900, once I count my pennies and order this amazing headphone (might take a month or two). 
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #2,046 of 5,632
  I have not heard any of the new Focal headphones so this is based on what I've read in Tyll's review. I am considering Tyll's review as a reference as I believe, Tyll heard both the new Focals in a noise free home condition for a considerable amount of time. Now.  when we are only talking about bass. 

Tyll says when comparing to Utopia," It's possible the bass seems just a tad stronger in the Elear given the slightly more emphatic upper-midrange and treble. To my ears, this is a markedly more refined sounding headphone."

Now this is after the fact that he also states "The Elear has excellent overall tonal balance. Bass is slightly low for my tastes, but bass is very tight and punchy, and extension is extraordinarily good for an open dynamic driver headphone."

When I read this, as a long time reader of IF, I'm assuming that Tyll's states that Elear has solved the issue of bass impact and punch, which generally lacks with open dynamic headphones. Now I feel, a lot of open planar magnetic headphone do not have this problem when in comparison to dynamic headphones. I used to have a HiFiMaN HE-5 and in terms of bass, it had a much better overall presentation in terms of harmonics, bass extension and impact when compared to my other open dynamic headphones E.G- AKG K501, 712 Pro, T1 (Semi Open) 

So when Tyll's states this, when comparing to Elear's bass "LCD-X has pretty clearly better resolution and control of the bass". I can sort of relate to what he is trying to say, from my own experience. 

Taking that into consideration from the above statements, a lot of folks might prefer the bass of Elear compared to Utopia, if they feel they want more bass coming out of their open dynamic headphones. Personally, I think one needs to spend a lot of time with both the headphones to come to their own conclusions, as with more time with a gear the sound tends to grow on the person listening to it. Just my two cents. Eagerly waiting to audition both of them when they arrive at the Focal stores in India. 

I like bass too (which is why I own the TH900), but according to everything I've read so far, Focal has nailed it, meaning they've dialed in everything to sound perfectly together (nothing overpowers each other, not the bass, mids nor treble). Besides, those who still need more bass can always swap pads with the Elear, or you could go the EQ route. Either way, if Tyll says it's not an issue, I believe he's correct in his assertion and will trust his judgment.

I'll let y'all know how it really sounds compared to my TH900, once I count my pennies and order this amazing headphone (might take a month or two). 
biggrin.gif

Just got my Elears yesterday!!! Put a few hours on them last night and I can say the bass is on point. Very controlled with good punch and decent slam. I'm not sure I'd listen to a lot of electronic music on these as the sub-bass is somewhat lacking. That's where the LCD-X (which I own) and some other planars will trump the Elears. I'll post my impressions and possible a full review in the near future when I have more time with them. What I'm amazed by is how cohesive the sound is. Mirroring what Tyll said, the tonal balance is quite superb on these.

Aug 18, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #2,048 of 5,632
I'm still surprised there has not been more discussion of the context of the Elear and Utopia: how have they been an evolution from Focal's only other few headphones, such as the Spirit Classic and Spirit Pro? Focal--like numerous other great loudspeaker manufacturers--are fairly new to headphones, and because of that, their few other offerings should be referenced in discussion of what they're doing now. It appears their earlier line has been completely forgotten. Surprised Jude or Tyll for example hardly (if at all) publically discussed the context of the line-- even though they publically praised their previous efforts. Also, how does their new Listen rank next to their previous models? I know by all accounts with the Elear and Utopia we appear to be talking about a totally new level; but surely there are some virtues to their earlier headphones that they tried to keep, and develop further (such as excellent tonal balance, dynamics, and cohesiveness)? Perhaps people think it's a totally new development--sui generis-- a revolution in their approach. I'd at least like to see more discussion of that development from previous models though--not just cursory dismissal. And even-- appreciation? for what they had already achieved.

Of course, I'll be picking up one of the newer models. Probably both eventually. But I'm still enjoying the heck out of the Spirit Classic. At its price point, for me at least, it rocks.

*rant out* 

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #2,049 of 5,632
  I'm still surprised there has not been more discussion of the context of the Elear and Utopia: how have they been an evolution from Focal's only other few headphones, such as the Spirit Classic and Spirit Pro? Focal--like numerous other great loudspeaker manufacturers--are fairly new to headphones, and because of that, their few other offerings should be referenced in discussion of what they're doing now. It appears their earlier line has been completely forgotten. Surprised Jude or Tyll for example hardly (if at all) publically discussed the context of the line-- even though they publically praised their previous efforts. Also, how does their new Listen rank next to their previous models? I know by all accounts with the Elear and Utopia we appear to be talking about a totally new level; but surely there are some virtues to their earlier headphones that they tried to keep, and develop further (such as excellent tonal balance, dynamics, and cohesiveness)? Perhaps people think it's a totally new development--sui generis-- a revolution in their approach. I'd at least like to see more discussion of that development from previous models though--not just cursory dismissal. And even-- appreciation? for what they had already achieved.

Of course, I'll be picking up one of the newer models. Probably both eventually. But I'm still enjoying the heck out of the Spirit Classic. At its price point, for me at least, it rocks.

*rant out* 

If the Elear and Utopia are of an entirely different design type, it would seem that the only thing they have in common with the lower priced offerings of Focal, is that they go over the ears. Comparing the Utopia and Elear to the rest of the line would be like comparing them to any other convensional dynamic headphone and would seem to have little relevance except to state the possible differences but that would also be true of other headphones and not just their own line. It would seem that the 2 newest offerings would need to be taken on their own merits and in that, compared to any other conventionally designed headphone whether that be a more standard dynamic driver, planar or electrostatic. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #2,050 of 5,632

If the Elear and Utopia are of an entirely different design type, it would seem that the only thing they have in common with the lower priced offerings of Focal, is that they go over the ears. Comparing the Utopia and Elear to the rest of the line would be like comparing them to any other convensional dynamic headphone and would seem to have little relevance except to state the possible differences but that would also be true of other headphones and not just their own line. It would seem that the 2 newest offerings would need to be taken on their own merits and in that, compared to any other conventionally designed headphone whether that be a more standard dynamic driver, planar or electrostatic. 

Perhaps some other things they have in common would be similar engineers, and similar philosophy, and at least, similar (same) company? Or if none of the previous pertain, I'd like to hear more details (am I alone in that?) I'm surprised people dismiss these aspects so quickly in consideration/discussion.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,051 of 5,632
*delete double post *

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,052 of 5,632
Only thing kind of holding me back is the fear that the Utopia would end up being genre limited. I listen to EDM and Rap/Hip-hop and a little pop quite often and the TH900 does very well. Money is not tight or anything right now it's just the issue of should I spend that much money on a headphone where I would be taking it off my head to listen to a much cheaper headphone that does certain genres "better".

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,053 of 5,632
Only thing kind of holding me back is the fear that the Utopia would end up being genre limited. I listen to EDM and Rap/Hip-hop and a little pop quite often and the TH900 does very well. Money is not tight or anything right now it's just the issue of should I spend that much money on a headphone where I would be taking it off my head to listen to a much cheaper headphone that does certain genres "better".

If they are genre limited then they would not be neutral. A good speaker or headphone, IMO, should never be limited. The only limiting factor would be the person, if they prefer bass heavy, more mid forward etc. A good transducer should transcend any of these aspects and it would be hoped that in this price range, they have done that, made a reference headphone that puts out what is put in with no embellishments. 

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #2,054 of 5,632

Why not try the Elear instead, which should have more bass presence vs. the Utopia?

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,055 of 5,632

The TH900 is genre limited IMO. The bass and most offensively the mid bass is 10db above the Mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back