Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Jan 15, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,977 of 5,632

I agree. I would say the Utopias have sparkly highs, but so far in my experience it isn't bright.

+1 I can listen and enjoy! tracks that I normally cringed with HD800S or HE1000 even (v1).

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #3,979 of 5,632

​I see the Elear pads are $150. Very tempting to try it out.

You should. The Elear pads softer and more comfortable than the leather pads on the Utopias. Also velour actually breathes so you get don't get the temperature build up you get with the leather earpads. Also the earhole cutout is slightly larger on the Elear pads, so if you have big ears it's slightly more spacious.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #3,980 of 5,632
Why are you guys up in arms about $250 marked up earpads on FOUR THOUSAND dollar headphones?

Guaranteed the headphones themselves are marked up beyond belief, so this is an odd bone to pick. To me the Utopia is obviously worth it, but I'm just saying, it's expected to pay a premium for extra parts on a premium product

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #3,981 of 5,632
Why are you guys up in arms about $250 marked up earpads on FOUR THOUSAND dollar headphones?

Guaranteed the headphones themselves are marked up beyond belief, so this is an odd bone to pick. To me the Utopia is obviously worth it, but I'm just saying, it's expected to pay a premium for extra parts on a premium product

I don't think they are. I thought they were up in the arms about a $150 pads for a $1000 headphone?

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #3,984 of 5,632
In m experience that's reasonable. When I bought new pads for my AD2000's they were $75-80, and the headphones themselves were $600~

What is it with all these corporate apologists these days lol. Are you trying to suggest that one overpriced item justifies another? Come on now, in what world should a small piece of moulded leather cost $150? Even if it is perforated. I could probably source some super supple, treated, ultra plush leather from Morocco in bulk for such use and production at an absolute fraction of that cost. It's basically shamelessly marked up. And if not Focal have some of the worst logistical management of manufacturing known to man, and deserve some ridicule either way. 

Sony's much worse mind. Nearly $500 for their Z1R earpad replacements here in the UK, PER earpad. How's that for stuffing consumers? Thankfully they seem to be considerably cheaper in Japan. No idea why lol.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #3,985 of 5,632

What is it with all these corporate apologists these days lol. Are you trying to suggest that one overpriced item justifies another? Come on now, in what world should a small piece of moulded leather cost $150? Even if it is perforated. I could probably source some super supple, treated, ultra plush leather from Morocco in bulk for such use and production at an absolute fraction of that cost. It's basically shamelessly marked up. And if not Focal have some of the worst logistical management of manufacturing known to man, and deserve some ridicule either way. 

Sony's worse mind. Nearly $500 for their Z1R earpad replacements here in the UK, PER earpad. How's that for stuffing consumers?

What. Per earpad? I feel like tossing this laptop beyond a river, any of such, and not looking back. Ever again.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,987 of 5,632
  lol 500 per pad. That can't possibly be possible.

I was quoted £318 plus VAT (20%) per earpad by the official Sony parts supplier, whose details were given to me by Sony customer service support. That's £382 per earpad, or $460 at todays exchange rate (which heavily favours the dollar thanks to major GBP devaluation post Brexit). When the gentleman first told me the price, I was almost ready to return my Z1R's just out of principle, but alas, they sound too good.

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:12 PM Post #3,989 of 5,632

Sony's much worse mind. Nearly $500 for their Z1R earpad replacements here in the UK, PER earpad. How's that for stuffing consumers? Thankfully they seem to be considerably cheaper in Japan. No idea why lol.

By reasonable I meant "in line with other companies." Terrible wording on my part. I was also just pointing out that the headphone materials themselves probably retail for half their worth so it's not really surprising. I don't condone it, but if I had to I'd pay it.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #3,990 of 5,632
Complaining about the price of earpads? Just wait till you guys see the mark-up on boutique cables!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back