Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Aug 15, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #1,953 of 5,632
  for those looking to DIY or purchase aftermarket cables for Elear:

Assuming that Tyll's measurements are correct (NO REASON to doubt Tyll) :

this should fit comfortably into the socket http://www.viablue.de/com/phono_plugs_3_5_t6s_small.shtml

For a relatively cost effective and reliable ready made SHORTER cable OR a balanced one there are the beyerdynamic cables meant for the T1.2 and T5p2

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html 
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/connection-cable-audiophile-3m-balanced.html

The connectors on the Elear that Tyll shows are mono connectors. The Neutrik Rean connectors Tyll recommends and the Via Blues recommended here are both stereo connectors. I also checked Norse Audio and he is selling the Eidolic connectors that are stereo. I assume you use the tip and sleeve connections and leave the ring unconnected? I know Neutrik Rean makes a mono plug also so why not use it instead of the stereo plug? The Reans are much less expensive than the Eidolic and Via Blue but the latter 2 are better quality and have larger rear cable openings.

Aug 15, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #1,955 of 5,632
  The connectors on the Elear that Tyll shows are mono connectors. The Neutrik Rean connectors Tyll recommends and the Via Blues recommended here are both stereo connectors. I also checked Norse Audio and he is selling the Eidolic connectors that are stereo. I assume you use the tip and sleeve connections and leave the ring unconnected? I know Neutrik Rean makes a mono plug also so why not use it instead of the stereo plug? The Reans are much less expensive than the Eidolic and Via Blue but the latter 2 are better quality and have larger rear cable openings.

I used these ones in my MHP1000 and now with the Elear. They work great.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-Copper-Gold-Plated-1-8-3-5mm-Mono-Plug-Jack-Audio-Male-Plug-Soldering-/281825048985?hash=item419e14f999:g:U8UAAOSwo6lWGqrN

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 15, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,959 of 5,632
Hello,

I would like to buy the Utopia
but at this point my desktop gear probably does not match up the Utopia
(I have a Pioneer U-01 DAC and an iFi iCAN PRO amp).

I would like to know which desktop DAC and amp would match the Utopia.
Which ones would you recommend for the Utopia?

Would the Shiit Yggdrasil DAC or the Naim V1 be good enough?

I have negative  prejudices re. Chord devices, not because of their apparent excellent SQ,
but because:
- I often try to listen (and also do things on my computer) with as little light as possible and the Chord lights seem quite disturbing and irritant to me
- their devices do not seem to be practical to stack with other devices
- they seem overpriced (I heard of people buying a Chord Hugo, and then adding the same additional capacitors and connectors as are found in the Hugo TT plus a bigger case, the add-ons costing a fraction of the price difference between the Hugo and the Hugo TT).

I also have a preference for smaller devices and for those who consume less energy,
but I realise the later may not fit with the requirements for the highest SQ.

Would my iFi ICan PRO  be good enough as an amp for the Utopia?
I live in Europe, so certain equipements such as Cavalli which may not be marketed here are no solution for me,
however Schiit products are sold in Europe.

Thank you for your answers,
bidn

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #1,960 of 5,632
Mmm....excellent review of the Utopia. Question: can you list the audio chain that you utilized to arrive at your conclusion? Tia.

Audio Chain:
Macbook Pro running Amarra for Tidal > Audioquest Jitterbug > Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 1.0M > Schiit Wyrd > Wireworld Starlight 7 USB 0.3M > Audio-GD DAC-19 > DanaCable Onyx RCA Interconnect 1.5M > Cavalli Liquid Crimson using 1975 "Holy Grail" 6N23P Reflektor tube w/ single wire getter post > Utopia Stock Cable > Utopia.

Power Chain:
Liquid Crimson: Wireworld Electra 7, DAC-19: DIY 7AWG Yarbo Flatwire w/ Oyaide 079 Series connectors, Power conditioner - PS Audio Duet, Power conditioner cable: Pangea AC-9 II.

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #1,961 of 5,632
  Hello,

(I have a Onkyo U-01 DAC and an iFi iCAN PRO amp).

I have negative  prejudices re. Chord devices, not because of their apparent excellent SQ,
but because:
- I often try to listen (and also do things on my computer) with as little light as possible and the Chord lights seem quite disturbing and irritant to me
- their devices do not seem to be practical to stapple with other devices
- they seem overpriced (I heard of people buying a Chord Hugo, and then adding the same additional condensators as are found in the Hugo TT plus a bigger case, the add-ons costing a fraction of the price difference between the Hugo and the Hugo TT).

I also have a preference for smaller devices and for those who consume less energy,

I live in Europe, so certain equipements such as Cavalli which may not be marketed here are no solution for me,

bidn

IMHO, the iCan Pro is a sweet amp. I prefer it to any of the amps in the Schiit lineup, personally. I can't remember if they had it hooked up to the Resolution Cantata or the Mytek Brooklyn at RMAF last year (they both have a silver hammer-finished front... it's confusing!) but the PRO can scale really high with a good DAC.  

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #1,962 of 5,632

Hello,

(I have a Onkyo U-01 DAC and an iFi iCAN PRO amp).

but because:
- their devices do not seem to be practical to stapple with other devices
- they seem overpriced (I heard of people buying a Chord Hugo, and then adding the same additional condensators as are found in the Hugo TT plus a bigger case, the add-ons costing a fraction of the price difference between the Hugo and the Hugo TT).

bidn

IMHO, the iCan Pro is a sweet amp. I prefer it to any of the amps in the Schiit lineup, personally. I can't remember if they had it hooked up to the Resolution Cantata or the Mytek Brooklyn at RMAF last year (they both have a silver hammer-finished front... it's confusing!) but the PRO can scale really high with a good DAC.  

+1
alsoSchiit Yggdrasil DAC is great. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,963 of 5,632
Aug 15, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #1,964 of 5,632
+1
alsoSchiit Yggdrasil DAC is great. 

I'd go with a list of DACs before the schiit Yggdrasil, the chord Hugo is a great DAC and the naim DAC v1 is very good as well but definitely is not as transparent as chord DACs. You really should listen to the DACs before buying. I love my chord Dave and like my naim DAC v1 for its price point. Also if you have any DSD music the Yggdrasil does not play it.

Aug 15, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #1,965 of 5,632
Thank you so much,
Hansotek, grizzlybeast, FLTWS and pkcpga for your clear and to the point replies!
So I understand that my iFi iCAN PRO amp would be good enough for the Utopia,
and that I may only need to purchase the Schiit Yggdrasil.
I do believe the Dave has top sound but I am not ready to expend so much money
(and I don't like the lights its shows nor do I find its casing practical, although very beautiful).

The best cable I own for connecting an amp to a DAC is a Oehlbach XXL-2 8.5 mm Cool Silver,
would you also have an idea whether it would be good enough
for connecting the iFi iCAN PRO to the Yggdrasil,
and not creating a bottleneck between the two in view of the performance of the Utopia?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back