Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 14, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #1,891 of 2,139
The Schiit Piety is a fantastic amp for the MG. Very fun and dynamic. For most music I actually prefer it to my Quicksilver tube amp with Gold Lion's, an amp 10x the price (the opposite is true of Arya Stealth and ZMF Verite Open).

Also I prefer it 50/50 against my iFi iDSD Sig which is cleaner and purer sounding, but occasionally more dull by comparison. It simultaneously livens up the MG while also toning it down in areas it's occasionally too harsh in. While I prefer the MG with EQ on the iFi, I don't find myself reaching for it on the Piety so far!

Really fantastic amp for the price!

Apr 15, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #1,892 of 2,139
You want your Clear Mg cable soft and supple? No problem.
Heat it gently and, while it's still warm, pull it smooth between your fingers.

20230415_061913.jpg
20230415_062142.jpg
20230415_062409.jpg

Apr 17, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #1,894 of 2,139
The JDS Labs EL Amp II+ Boosted is the best amp I've tried with the MG so far. I'm blown away. Super dynamic, clean, and smooth at the same time! It just feels right.

Using iFi iDSD Signature as DAC.

Compared to:
iFi iDSD Signature Amp out - iFi is actually a little too squeaky sharp without EQ which gets fatiguing, JDS has noticeably better low end and smoother top
Schiit Jotunheim 2 - a little too relaxed feeling for me. JDS has all the smoothness I get with the Jot while keeping the sound fun. I could see wanting the Jot if you're really looking for chill but I find myself wanting more
Schiit Piety - still my favorite when I want a little exciting flavor, otherwise the JDS has better control overall obviously
Quicksilver (Gold Lion Tubes) - Completely dependent on mood, though to be honest (so far) any time I'm listening to this amp I'm reaching over to my Arya SE or ZMF Verite. The tight punchy low end is my favorite part about the MG's which tubes don't do justice to
O2 Amp - Overall I can't help but feel like it's leaving a little of everything off the table

Apr 18, 2023 at 2:18 AM Post #1,895 of 2,139
Yesterday I filled some Amnesia Haze into my vaporizer, and listened to the following album

"Doped" this way, the ultra-precise imaging / positioning of the Clear Mg, comes even more intensively to the fore.
In addition, there is this uniquely precise sound image. Over the entire spectrum.
On no headphones (that I know) sounds a drum, a piano, a hi-hat, as realistic as on the Focal high-end drivers.
A spectacular experience!

This is the third time I've had the MG.
On the first two visits to the MG, I failed to find settings that suppressed mechanical clipping as much as necessary. However, as mentioned above, I have now succeeded.

No matter which headphones I had, I always mourned the MG. Only the new Utopia I would like to draw in an a / b comparison. I prefer the MG to the old Utopia.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #1,896 of 2,139
Indeed, it seems as some "technicalities" (at least those related to "resolution" and "details") come at the cost of realism. Had the same experience going from Clear to Utopia to Elear. Kept all three tho... so far... time will tell I guess...

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #1,897 of 2,139
Today I received my headband cover from Geekria. Quality is ok, but not very good. One point that disturbed me, is that the zipper is on the metallic part of the headband. So I decided to stick a little rubber bumper under the zipper. Maybe it is a little bit exaggerated, but I don‘t want to scratch the metallic part.

By the way just listening to the Deluxe Edition of Marillions Script for a Jester‘s Tear. Never beford this album sounds so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Apr 19, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,898 of 2,139
Today I received my headband cover from Geekria. Quality is ok, but not very good. One point that disturbed me, is that the zipper is on the metallic part of the headband. So I decided to stick a little rubber bumper under the zipper. Maybe it is a little bit exaggerated, but I don‘t want to scratch the metallic part.

By the way just listening to the Deluxe Edition of Marillions Script for a Jester‘s Tear. Never beford this album sounds so good.
Metal parts of zipper are pressing againts leather headband, would not use that.

Apr 19, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,899 of 2,139
Interesting.
There seems to be in several people,
who have problems with comfort.
I for one, have the impression, of having a strangely shaped "egghead" skull. Nevertheless, I find the focal headphones super comfortable.

Apr 19, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #1,900 of 2,139
Interesting.
There seems to be in several people,
who have problems with comfort.
I for one, have the impression, of having a strangely shaped "egghead" skull. Nevertheless, I find the focal headphones super comfortable.
The reason I get headband covers for Focals isn't because of an issue with the comfort, it's to protect the headband that costs $800 to replace. I have a small, narrow (side to side) head and every Focal I've tried fit's quite comfortably.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #1,902 of 2,139
I understand.
I consider it totally unacceptable,
that is the headband is not available,
as a spare part. Now my memory returns.
I had also requested it last year,
when my Utopia was at Focal to change drivers.

Apr 21, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #1,904 of 2,139
Can you ignore ( for comparison) the highs?!
And what do you say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back