Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Sep 6, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #586 of 2,139
On the metallic shimmering that some talk about.... (including the GoldenSound review of the MG), some have it and some don't. I've listened to 3 MGs now, and only 1 of them had this issue which was the defective set. It's a shame because I'd love to hear GoldenSound re-review it without this issue considering that it was his biggest gripe with them.

Sep 6, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #588 of 2,139
I hear nothing metallic either. Even when I had the OG I never heard anything metallic. The OG is a little leaner in the mids and treble but still sounds great.

When I think of something sounding metallic , the HD800 and HD700 come to mind. Like listening to music over a high-school pa system.
Nothing musical about either of these cans. Lol.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #591 of 2,139
I found a good B stock deal on a Focal Clear pro (OG) and decided to give it a shot.

Spent some time with it yesterday along with a VC and Empy to compare.

Bass is pretty much perfect, all the quantity, slam and control you want. Truly unbelievable, I think sub bass goes lower than Stellia from memory and bass doesn't bleed into mids. Mids are very good, if a touch thin and a tad cold. But still really clear.

Technicalities are in general great. The thing had energy and is super detailed.

But the issue really was treble. There's a metallic "shimmering" that just made my ears bleed and EQ didn't take it away. It was so annoying I am on my way to return it. Is that the "metallic timbre" people are talking about?

Does MG solve that issue? I'm kind of giving up on trying to like Focal HPs at this point. Stellia was also too clinical and I didn't keep it.

Well, coming from VC and Empy I can imagine Clear MG would suit you well. Not sure about the shimmering part though. I never felt any fatigue problem from Clear MG, even with neutral chain like Topping A90 feed by D90SE (Actually they're great pairing).

Stellia is more "mature" headphone for me, more structured imaging, clearer through all spectrum, with richer detail. Not as "silky smooth" as MG though, especially on midrange.

Sep 8, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #593 of 2,139
Anyone tried the 4.4 pentacon Meze Cable with Focal Clear MG. It is silver so concerned might add too much glare sharpness?
Where did you get the idea that a silver conductor would add glare??? :k701smile: This is a complete and utter nonsense my friend!

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #594 of 2,139
Has anyone tried Dekoni pads with Clear MG or even OG? I am interested in fenestrated sheepskin as I find the stock Clear MG microfiber doesn't seal to my ears / head very well as do lambskin (EG -on my ZMF Auteur). I think fenestrated / perforated is generally better with open cans to preserve / enhance soundstage, so hadn't considered any of the other Dekoni's but would love to hear how Dekoni's fit, and wheter they impact the sound signature if others have tried them.

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #595 of 2,139
Has anyone tried Dekoni pads with Clear MG or even OG? I am interested in fenestrated sheepskin as I find the stock Clear MG microfiber doesn't seal to my ears / head very well as do lambskin (EG -on my ZMF Auteur). I think fenestrated / perforated is generally better with open cans to preserve / enhance soundstage, so hadn't considered any of the other Dekoni's but would love to hear how Dekoni's fit, and wheter they impact the sound signature if others have tried them.

Thanks!
I have these on my MG.
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/limited-edition-ear-pads-for-focal-stellia-headphones/

Tonally i hear no difference, but I do get better imaging, better sense of depth in the soundstage, bass is more solid and refined. They definitely add more clarity overall as well.

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #597 of 2,139

Thanks!
I have the Dekoni sheepskin fenestrated pads (and the Geekria headband cover) for my Clear OG - plus Norne Vykari cable!…The Dekonis: (1) feel better to me since the Focal pads were too ‘squishy’; (2) put the drivers a little further from my ears and widen the soundstage; (3) smooth out any aberrations in low-to-mid bass response; (4) are EASY to clean / keep clean !!
32883C5B-0A6B-48C4-B5E7-9FFBC10F6C57.jpeg

Sep 8, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #598 of 2,139
Another action (?) photograph…:
6B642812-D188-4C33-8CA0-804F606BC4BA.jpeg

Sep 9, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #599 of 2,139
Last edited:
Sep 9, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #600 of 2,139
I have the Dekoni sheepskin fenestrated pads (and the Geekria headband cover) for my Clear OG - plus Norne Vykari cable!…The Dekonis: (1) feel better to me since the Focal pads were too ‘squishy’; (2) put the drivers a little further from my ears and widen the soundstage; (3) smooth out any aberrations in low-to-mid bass response; (4) are EASY to clean / keep clean !!
Thank you @jonathan c!
  • Do the fenestrated sheepskin seal about the same? I feel that compared to my Auteur with sheepskin, the Clear microfiber pads aren't as flush to my head and some soft "pianissimo" musical content in particular becomes less audible due to just how open the MG is.
  • Regarding the Geekria headband cover, does it affect comfort? Also, another user mentioned the zipper leaves an indent on the leather. Have you noticed that as well?

Overall, I am really enjoying the Clear MG, and of course a few tweaks are part of the fun.

BTW that Vykari is a beauty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back