Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #1,791 of 2,139
I've been curious about the Clears, both OG and MG since owning an Elex for the last year and thoroughly enjoying them. I was often wondering if the Elex sounds this good, how good must the Clears sound... some say the Clear OG is only a 2% improvement on the Elex but that the MG is more of an improvement.

I popped into a shop today for a return and the planets aligned - they had the Clear MG on demo! I only had 15 minutes with my phone and a dongle DAC, which was pretty much maxed out on volume. My initial impression is the bass is immense but it didn't feel like too much, I also had a few breathtaking moments of hearing details in the short time I was listening, although it wasn't near long enough to get into the finer details. I'm looking forward to hearing them again for a while longer...

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #1,792 of 2,139
I had a good few hours with the Clear Mg recently and was really impressed, the sound was so full, cohesive and enjoyable. Hands down the best headphones I've ever heard. I usually wouldn't entertain the idea of going above a mid range price but almost bought an excellent condition used set, as the price wasn't miles off and could be balanced by selling my other Focals. However I noticed when moving my head the headband made a noticeable plastic knocking noise, I looked into it and see the issue mentioned a few times on this forum for other models. It seems to be related to clamp force, as if I make them tighter they are silent, but then they don't fit. I saw that lubricating the headband may help, but not sure this will really work? I can't really try it in the shop before buying them and couldn't try it then return them in good conscience if it didn't work.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #1,793 of 2,139
I had a good few hours with the Clear Mg recently and was really impressed, the sound was so full, cohesive and enjoyable. Hands down the best headphones I've ever heard. I usually wouldn't entertain the idea of going above a mid range price but almost bought an excellent condition used set, as the price wasn't miles off and could be balanced by selling my other Focals. However I noticed when moving my head the headband made a noticeable plastic knocking noise, I looked into it and see the issue mentioned a few times on this forum for other models. It seems to be related to clamp force, as if I make them tighter they are silent, but then they don't fit. I saw that lubricating the headband may help, but not sure this will really work? I can't really try it in the shop before buying them and couldn't try it then return them in good conscience if it didn't work.
I did it to my elegia headband and the creaking is gone

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #1,794 of 2,139
I have the Focal Clear MG Pro's and really love the look, and the sound. But I do agree with Joshua Valour's review where he said the top end is a little limited. You don't get the sparkled top end clarity of a Sennheiser 800S or the Beyerdynamic 1990's. Though I love my Focal's, on music that does not have lots of top end (many older recordings like CSN) I prefer my 1990s over the Focal's. The Beyerdynamics have a wider sound stage and brighter top end, but the overall sound is thinner than the Focals. So depending on the type of music, I find I prefer one over the other.

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #1,795 of 2,139
Would love to hear you recommendation for XLR custom cable for Clear MGs. Preferably one available in EU, Forza comes to my mind immediately but maybe there are other worth trying? Thank you in advance.

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #1,796 of 2,139
Would love to hear you recommendation for XLR custom cable for Clear MGs. Preferably one available in EU, Forza comes to my mind immediately but maybe there are other worth trying? Thank you in advance.
I am using Lavricables Ultimate and I am liking it more than my Forza Claire.
You can read my review
https://ichos-reviews.com/?p=2190

Dec 8, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #1,797 of 2,139
I am using Lavricables Ultimate and I am liking it more than my Forza Claire.
You can read my review
https://ichos-reviews.com/?p=2190

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #1,798 of 2,139
So Tyll's video got me buying the OG over 3y ago. My first serious HP which are definitely also responsible for getting deeper down this audio rabbit hole.
One driver replaced within warranty period. Then I was getting annoyed by what sounded to like another driver failure. But a shop accepted them for trade in and I got an MG... (so obviously no issue, right?)
I will be getting a new unit in a few days. I would like to sell them around 20% off within the EU.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #1,799 of 2,139
What amps are you guys using to power your Clears MGs?
I got the MG Pro and currently use it with my Schiit Magni (1st version) and the DAC is a SMSL M8A v2. I was hoping to get my Gustard H10 repaired, but had no luck so far, so I'm looking for a new amp. My old Magni is fine overall, but if measurements are to be believed I could do better.

I currently have a few amps on my radar:

Topping A90
Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887
Drop Plus THX AAA 789
SMSL SH-9

And a few cheaper ones:

Sabaj A20h
SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888
Topping L50
Topping A30 Pro
Schiit Magnius

Obviously the MGs are not difficult to drive, so not sure what should I go with. The objectivists around audioscience claim I shouldn't hear any difference even with the cheapest of the options above and basically I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between L50 and A90 for example. But some people still claim A90 is a top choice and could sound better than some of the others.
Worth noting is that even though right now power would not be a concern later I might wanna switch to some hard to drive planars again (I still have a LCD-2 which I rarely use, but it's easy to drive anyway) so I wanna be prepared with some headroom in my amp.

Ideally I would prefer an amp that has passthrough so that I can easily hook up my powered speakers as well, without having to go through the headphone amp as pre-amp, but that feature weirdly is rare. I believe out of that list only the L50 and A30 Pro have it.
Do you believe I would hear any difference from something like a Sabaj A20h? Or a L50? Or would still the A90 sound better? Because honestly if there wouldn't be a sound difference I would either go with the cheap Sabaj or with the L50 because of the passthrough feature.

Thanks in advance and sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked many times (I just can't find much specific info).

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,800 of 2,139
What amps are you guys using to power your Clears MGs?
I got the MG Pro and currently use it with my Schiit Magni (1st version) and the DAC is a SMSL M8A v2. I was hoping to get my Gustard H10 repaired, but had no luck so far, so I'm looking for a new amp. My old Magni is fine overall, but if measurements are to be believed I could do better.

I currently have a few amps on my radar:

Topping A90
Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887
Drop Plus THX AAA 789
SMSL SH-9

And a few cheaper ones:

Sabaj A20h
SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888
Topping L50
Topping A30 Pro
Schiit Magnius

Obviously the MGs are not difficult to drive, so not sure what should I go with. The objectivists around audioscience claim I shouldn't hear any difference even with the cheapest of the options above and basically I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between L50 and A90 for example. But some people still claim A90 is a top choice and could sound better than some of the others.
Worth noting is that even though right now power would not be a concern later I might wanna switch to some hard to drive planars again (I still have a LCD-2 which I rarely use, but it's easy to drive anyway) so I wanna be prepared with some headroom in my amp.

Ideally I would prefer an amp that has passthrough so that I can easily hook up my powered speakers as well, without having to go through the headphone amp as pre-amp, but that feature weirdly is rare. I believe out of that list only the L50 and A30 Pro have it.
Do you believe I would hear any difference from something like a Sabaj A20h? Or a L50? Or would still the A90 sound better? Because honestly if there wouldn't be a sound difference I would either go with the cheap Sabaj or with the L50 because of the passthrough feature.

Thanks in advance and sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked many times (I just can't find much specific info).
If your going for the Toppings, the A90D is worth the upgrade.
I am currently using my NAD preamp headphone jack. But I am also considering the SPL with its super clarity and nice sound stage
Also the Rupert Neve headphone amp which has some nice color

Users who are viewing this thread

Back