Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Aug 18, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #1,741 of 2,139
The Clear MG has spoiled me so bad that my other headphones are hardly getting much use now. I occasionally take out my 6XX or the HE-500 and while those both have their specific strengths, the Clear MG is just a much better all rounder and technical performer. Every genre sounds amazing, and the dynamics are unbeatable. Not to mention the MG is the only headphone I would be happy to use with no EQ, stock tonality is basically perfect for my tastes.

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #1,743 of 2,139
In the 1k to 2k price bracket, these have to be the most dynamic headphones there is. To me, dynamics is the most important quality. Timbre and Soundstage are fine 👌 and openess are excellent on these. But if you just plan on using these for music listening, the dynamics & openess & imaging is top of the line for me. Put on something like AC/DC & enjoy. They play like speakers. I believe they had to tone down the og clear because these are meant to be blasted. And man are they meant for jamming out!

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #1,748 of 2,139
Agreed, and grayish colors tend to age poorly as well. Since they are literally the same sonically, and since I prefer shorter cables/coiled cables, it was a win/win for me. :)

I’m rediscovering my favorite music all over again. The only issue is that once you come to these levels, the only way to go is up. Utopias, here I come XD
I have Clear Mgs (and now two pairs of IEMs to supplement them). I've heard Utopias in Carrollton, TX and they have impeccable imaging, probably the best I've ever heard. Every track was audible distinctly in the mix. A rigid beryllium driver will do that for you. They had soundly trounced my speakers in that area, as well. Utopias resolution is also better than Clear Mgs, but I had noticed the imaging more. Utopias are a "technical" headphone: they are maybe a bit too accurate, and fatiguing to some. Like the Clear OGs (which were the first good headphones I had owned), the notes all seemed to have sharp edges, and I had wanted to run both of them through something that would calm them down (in my case, a virtual tube amp plugin in JRiver). Clear Mgs, I EQ to match the diffuse field Harman curve, but their timbre is more agreeable than either Clear OGs or Utopias, to me. Audeze headphones had sounded more mellow, warmed over, and rounded in comparison. Those, are still my pick for music that has a lot of content below, say, 80 Hz.

The part I can't believe, is that my $179 Moondrop Katos have better imaging than the Clears, with their DLC material. The other IEMs I have, with all BA drivers, had cost $550, and can't touch them in that area.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #1,750 of 2,139
Focal Clear Mgs excel in dynamics, IMO. ZMF Verite Open may be one of the few that beats it in that area.
I also own a Verite Open and would disagree. In fact that's one on my favorite things about switching back to the Mg.

Though it's a bit more nuanced, the Verite has more immediate "kick" on certain drums or bass frequencies, as well as higher sustained bass pressure (likely tied to it feels noticeably more closed than the Mg). Where as the Mg feels like it's moving more total air.

Another way to put it is the Verite punches while the Mg slams. It feels like the Mg driver is extending physically more.

On the topic, I regularly compare both against the Arya Stealth in this department. It has better punch & slam than people give it credit for, but neither on the level of the aforementioned. Where it shines is deep sub bass sustain. On deep ambient tracks with a lot of this, the bass depth and atmosphere is like no other, further accentuated by how open it is.

One interesting thing I noticed is applying bass boost. The Mg feels less sensitive to increase in perceived bass pressure compared to the other two. Seems like it's optimized for a certain balance.

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #1,751 of 2,139
Where as the Mg feels like it's moving more total air.

Another way to put it is the Verite punches while the Mg slams. It feels like the Mg driver is extending physically more.

That’s exactly how I would describe the MG compared to my other headphones.

Clear MG (and I assume the rest Focal’s lineup, I’ve heard the Elex, Elegia and both Clear versions) have that sense of physicality and weight to music that I’ve not heard in nearly anything else. It’s not that it’s super impactful with thumping bass boosted, it’s that the sound presentation is so direct and full of energy. Exactly what you would describe as dynamic and uncompressed. Things seem to pop out more and are definitely more realistic sounding. I've said this before, but percussive instruments like drums, cymbals, chimes, and even piano, all sound incredibly impactful like the real thing being in bands and orchestras my whole life.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #1,752 of 2,139
Oh for sure. I use it for both PC and PS5 gaming (iFi Zen DAC V2 is plug and play on both), and it’s absolutely amazing when I play Destiny 2. Bungie (and 343) are great at sound design.
Alright you sold them to me.

Where are all the Classifieds units when I need one? :D

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #1,754 of 2,139
Dynamic headphones - Regular headphones that use a voice coil driver around a magnet.

It's either dynamic or not, it cannot be more or less dynamic.
:ksc75smile: :ksc75smile: :sweat_smile:

Aug 22, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #1,755 of 2,139
I also own a Verite Open and would disagree. In fact that's one on my favorite things about switching back to the Mg.

Though it's a bit more nuanced, the Verite has more immediate "kick" on certain drums or bass frequencies, as well as higher sustained bass pressure (likely tied to it feels noticeably more closed than the Mg). Where as the Mg feels like it's moving more total air.

On the topic, I regularly compare both against the Arya Stealth in this department. It has better punch & slam than people give it credit for, but neither on the level of the aforementioned. Where it shines is deep sub bass sustain. On deep ambient tracks with a lot of this, the bass depth and atmosphere is like no other, further accentuated by how open it is.

One interesting thing I noticed is applying bass boost. The Mg feels less sensitive to increase in perceived bass pressure compared to the other two. Seems like it's optimized for a certain balance.
Well, it's good that I hadn't spent all that money, then on the Verites, though their soundstage must be something.

I probably will go back to using my Martin Logan 60XTs most of the time once I buy a house. Or, wait until I get a deal on a ZMF product and use them in place of a set of bookshelf speakers. The speakers had out-resolved every set of headphones I've had. I had sold both Clear OGs and Audeze LCD-3s over those, and hadn't bought Clear Mgs until I had been banished to a small hotel room. Signature, with their aluminum drivers, is closer to the Focal headphone signature than the Audeze one (a lively midrange). They also have mid bass resonance and phase shift problems that I don't face with headphones; it will never be as clean below a certain frequency. I will likely keep my IEMs and sell my open back headphones, once my situation changes. The imaging of the Moondrops being almost as good at the Utopias (at least the ones that have DLC dynamic drivers), had changed things for me.

I had Arya v2s, and had liked the soundstage, but they had a hollow, plastic timbre that I had noticed the most with female vocals and simple guitar tracks. I had returned them after a month. The soundstage was so large, that it had sounded unnatural. Audeze soundstage is in between HiFiMan and Focal's (just right). With the Arya v3s, they would have fixed this and probably improved dynamics, but I can't justify owning two sets of open back headphones. I had loved how the synths had sounded when playing Lorde's Royals on the Arya v2, but not her voice. I have to say I prefer HiFiMan bass over Audeze (though it always sounds thinner in true HE-1000 fashion).

I boost the bass with my Clear Mgs too, and still feel that you need a closed back to get the most natural sounding bass below a certain frequency. Of course, this can differ depending on what type of instrument you're listening to. I can try and repair natural declines, but I can't cheat open baffle physics with any EQ I apply.

The Audeze LCD-X 2021s I had sold, have completely different sounding bass to HiFiMan or Focal, but had problems of their own: what I perceive to be lesser microdynamics. Those, had provided a larger sound, but had always felt closer to omnipresent, one note, "brawn over finesse" bass, when compared to the Clears, even after EQ. I could hear more textures in bass guitars with the Clears and the Arya.

LCD-3s have a wonderful organic warm midrange, but sound dark even after EQ, and don't measure up compared to newer headphones, to me. Probably a slow seller for them and are $450 more than the Clears. Neither of the Audezes had sounded flat and balanced even after EQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back