Focal Clear headphones
Sep 12, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #12,076 of 12,548
First time back on these in a few weeks. Man, I love the sound and the comfort of the original pads. The pads are definitely looking darker though. :smile:
Going Bifrost 2 to Violectric V220 for several hours. A Wonderful day.

I think Tuesday will start off with 50 years of Alligator Records. Several hours of blues sounds pretty good.:L3000:

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #12,077 of 12,548
Does anyone use DDHifi BC150B cable with the Clear OG? If so, what are your impressions about the sound and what connector do you have on the BC150B? (the standard 3.5mm plug or the extended tip 3.5mm plug)

Sep 22, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #12,079 of 12,548
I'm gonna ask something that's probably absolute heresy, but bear with me. I've got Radiance on loan from a friend right now, and am finding them pretty uncomfortable for longer (45m+) sessions. I keep making excuses to get up and head to the fridge, or the restroom, or just to sit the cans down and listen to my bookshelf monitors for a bit, because the clamp force is *bananas*.

First question is less heresy: do Clears clamp like Radiance, for anyone who's tried both? I have to assume yes.

Second question is the dicey one I'll be burned at the stake for: has anyone tried swapping the headband outright on these things? Based on months of reading reviews about them, I strongly suspect the Clears have sound signature aspects I'd like (heck, I enjoy these Radiance too), but I really don't think I could deal with this clamp for a daily driver can. I know there's folks in other communities who have taken broken Focal headbands off entirely and replaced them with HFM or other headbands with various luck... with most of them being Sundara headbands. Has anyone here tried non-Sundara headbands? I own Sundaras and they're comfortable and the headbands are built like tanks, but the lack of swivel would be an unfortunate factor to keep if swapping bands anyway. But finding cheap "for parts" Aryas is going to be next to impossible, and I can't think of too many other manufacturers using these styles of cup/yoke mounts...

Sep 22, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #12,080 of 12,548
I'm gonna ask something that's probably absolute heresy, but bear with me. I've got Radiance on loan from a friend right now, and am finding them pretty uncomfortable for longer (45m+) sessions. I keep making excuses to get up and head to the fridge, or the restroom, or just to sit the cans down and listen to my bookshelf monitors for a bit, because the clamp force is *bananas*.

First question is less heresy: do Clears clamp like Radiance, for anyone who's tried both? I have to assume yes.

Second question is the dicey one I'll be burned at the stake for: has anyone tried swapping the headband outright on these things? Based on months of reading reviews about them, I strongly suspect the Clears have sound signature aspects I'd like (heck, I enjoy these Radiance too), but I really don't think I could deal with this clamp for a daily driver can. I know there's folks in other communities who have taken broken Focal headbands off entirely and replaced them with HFM or other headbands with various luck... with most of them being Sundara headbands. Has anyone here tried non-Sundara headbands? I own Sundaras and they're comfortable and the headbands are built like tanks, but the lack of swivel would be an unfortunate factor to keep if swapping bands anyway. But finding cheap "for parts" Aryas is going to be next to impossible, and I can't think of too many other manufacturers using these styles of cup/yoke mounts...
Well I wear glasses and I barely feel discomfort with Clears. Radiance on the other hand once in a while reminds me the fact that I have glasses. Overall, there is not huge difference in clamp pressure (for me) but Radiance is slightly more snug. Also I should mention that Radiance has some serious isolation, so maybe slight extra clamp was intentional. Honestly I wouldn’t do the headband thing with clear specially considering that Focals are not really Mod friendly. Also bare in mind that Focals can produce extra pressure and hot spots due to the spring tension of earcups hinges. One big difference in comfort of Clear vs Radiance for me, was much more heat produced by Radiance in long sessions. Of course a sealed leather is not gonna breathe as much as those micro fibers on clear pads. Hope this helps.

Sep 22, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #12,082 of 12,548
I never thought the Clear had uncomfortable clamping. And I wear glasses.

Sep 25, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #12,086 of 12,548
Would you be open to purchasing&selling me a headphone from Addicted2Audio? I'm in the US and they don't ship it here. I'd be willing to pay 10% premium.
Perhaps there is a forwarding service that can be set up. I know that there are several forwarding services for things auctions in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back