Focal Clear headphones
Mar 1, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #11,716 of 12,588
Do you know the power of the Dark Side?

Just celebrated the 50th anniversary of the greatest album of all time (for me ... I'm somewhat obsessed) listening via the Focal Clear. And in fact, the first time I've listened to the whole album with the Clear (had them for 5 months). No, I didn't listen to the 8-track. Opted for the 96/24 FLAC.

Sublime ... as always.

DarkSide.jpg

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #11,718 of 12,588
This sounds like the user is playing deep sub bass at high sound pressure levels.
Like any dynamic driver the Clears have an excursion limit, and it sounds like the user is pushing the headphone until the driver hits the mechanical end stop.
The Clears are not built for earth shattering sub bass levels, and driving them to these levels is neither healthy for the ears nor for the drivers.

I'd tell the buyer that this is a limitation of the open back design and he should try to stay within the design boundaries of the Clears then he'll be rewarded with excellent SQ. For the headbaning sub bass he'll need a closed headphone that's designed for it...
So, people just assume that the user is blasting away. Has anyone witness that the user is blasting away with heavy bass and extremely high volume?
If a $1000 pair of headphone can not handle reasonable volume, can not handle bass, can not do this, can not that, then why even bother getting one.
As for head banging, a $50 pair will do the job why even getting an expensive one.

I had a defective pair of Focal Clear before. Volume at 2/10 (would that be too loud?), when the bass kicked in the left driver would crackle/pop/clip.

I have a non-defective pair now. Playing club music with bass kicking and punching with no issues. Focal Clear is known for it's dynamic after all.

Mar 3, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #11,719 of 12,588
Hi I have a weird question in specific scenario.

I live in Australia before, and now I moved to another country.

Focal guarantee and repair is limited to a specific country.

So, now , if my clear is broken, I can't repair it via local distributor in another country? (Repair,not guarantee claim).

The local distributor Also doesn't sell the clear OG version.

Thanks

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #11,722 of 12,588
Do you know the power of the Dark Side?

Just celebrated the 50th anniversary of the greatest album of all time (for me ... I'm somewhat obsessed) listening via the Focal Clear. And in fact, the first time I've listened to the whole album with the Clear (had them for 5 months). No, I didn't listen to the 8-track. Opted for the 96/24 FLAC.

Sublime ... as always.

DarkSide.jpg
Wish You Were Here was the first album I played when I got the Clear. I was absolutely blown away. Only took me about 45 minutes to fall in love with them. It was the first time I could actually feel the impact and breath of the chimes guitars, the openness of the recording. An album I had been familiar with (in fact, it's my favorite by Pink Floyd) for so many years suddenly had a new breath of life to it.

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #11,723 of 12,588
Hmm...NDH30 is technically better than Clear, but Clear does sound very good in its own way, especially with some tubes in the mix. I don't think I can bring myself to sell my copy. I have some analogies in mind but probably NSFW :dt880smile:

Mar 4, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #11,724 of 12,588
Wish You Were Here was the first album I played when I got the Clear. I was absolutely blown away. Only took me about 45 minutes to fall in love with them. It was the first time I could actually feel the impact** and breath of the chimes guitars, the openness** of the recording. An album I had been familiar with (in fact, it's my favorite by Pink Floyd) for so many years suddenly had a new breath of life to it.
** two of many strengths of Clear (original) ☑️.

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #11,725 of 12,588
Wish You Were Here was the first album I played when I got the Clear. I was absolutely blown away. Only took me about 45 minutes to fall in love with them. It was the first time I could actually feel the impact and breath of the chimes guitars, the openness of the recording. An album I had been familiar with (in fact, it's my favorite by Pink Floyd) for so many years suddenly had a new breath of life to it.

The favorite of Gilmour and Wright too. The Clear do inspire you to relive old favorite and enjoy them with even more appreciation.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #11,726 of 12,588
Sorry to ask but with 782 pages, I can’t seem to find a consensus on the recommended Dekoni pad for the Focal Clear. The Stellia? Fenestrated sheepskin? Velour?

My goal is more comfort (less itchy on my beard) and to tame the treble fatigue I get if possible. I don’t feel they need any more bass either. Thanks in advance!

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #11,727 of 12,588
A better dac will help with the treble fatigue. Can’t help you with beard.

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #11,728 of 12,588
Sorry to ask but with 782 pages, I can’t seem to find a consensus on the recommended Dekoni pad for the Focal Clear. The Stellia? Fenestrated sheepskin? Velour?

My goal is more comfort (less itchy on my beard) and to tame the treble fatigue I get if possible. I don’t feel they need any more bass either. Thanks in advance!
Get the aftermarket rings and use whatever pad you want.

I use a nice set of vesper audio brown leather pads that are larger than stock. Its alot more comfortable for me as I have large ears and doesn't touch any part of my ear.

Also has the added benefit of a little larger soundstage which the clears kind of lack.

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #11,730 of 12,588

Many people say the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin. I have them and I find the sound pretty similar to the stock pads, after a short trial.

I do enjoy the feel and the sound of the stock pads, but they are starting to discolour already. I will wear them into the ground and then go with the Dekoni's (which were damn expensive landed in Canada).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back