Focal Clear headphones
Feb 19, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #11,671 of 12,550
£80+ for their Focal cables! Much too pricey for me
hate to break it to you, but sub $100 is budget aftermarket cable territory.

Feb 19, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #11,673 of 12,550
i am not made for this hobby
It’s a process. You will get there and then way further. Take your time and enjoy the process.

Feb 19, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #11,674 of 12,550
Feb 19, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #11,675 of 12,550
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #11,676 of 12,550
Feb 20, 2023 at 4:41 AM Post #11,677 of 12,550
As opposed to a way of life?

3822202.jpg

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:41 PM Post #11,678 of 12,550
It’s a process. You will get there and then way further. Take your time and enjoy the process.
Well said. it's been a minute for me but I've enjoyed every step.

Feb 21, 2023 at 10:23 PM Post #11,679 of 12,550
Been doing a Focal comparo for a few days now.
Started off doing some pad rolling and I didn't really care for the Elex pads. I found the Dekoni fenestrated pads pretty good, but prefer the originals. They are set aside until my originals wear out.

Next up, the Elex's are VERY close to these! Two plus years ago, I bought the Elex's, as they were half the price, landed in Canada. It was a smart decision. Nowadays, I would opt for the Clear's for $300.00 more Canuck bucks. One year warranty vs three years is a no-brainer.

Lastly, someone asked me a while ago if I preferred the Clear's or the Radiance's? They are pretty different headphones. The Clears have mids and above galore. And pretty decent bass for open backs.
But the Radiance are Great with any bass happening. I was going back forth with different songs and the Clear was a better match with more songs, but as soon as I felt the boom I switched to the Radiance's and Wow! What a great closed back headphone. These two are a great combo!

Feb 22, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #11,680 of 12,550
Started off doing some pad rolling and I didn't really care for the Elex pads. I found the Dekoni fenestrated pads pretty good, but prefer the originals. They are set aside until my originals wear out.

Next up, the Elex's are VERY close to these! Two plus years ago, I bought the Elex's, as they were half the price, landed in Canada. It was a smart decision. Nowadays, I would opt for the Clear's for $300.00 more Canuck bucks. One year warranty vs three years is a no-brainer.

Lastly, someone asked me a while ago if I preferred the Clear's or the Radiance's? They are pretty different headphones. The Clears have mids and above galore. And pretty decent bass for open backs.
But the Radiance are Great with any bass happening. I was going back forth with different songs and the Clear was a better match with more songs, but as soon as I felt the boom I switched to the Radiance's and Wow! What a great closed back headphone. These two are a great combo!
…if only you had four ears … 😏

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #11,681 of 12,550
I'd always read the Clears described as a warm-neutral sound signature and up until recently I thought I disagreed with that - I found them neutral and well pretty well balanced. But after owning the 64 Audio U12t for a couple of weeks and then going back the Clear, I totally get it. Definitely warm in comparison, but certainly not in an unpleasant way.
I have the trio of Clear for open back, EMU Ebony for closed back, and U12t for IEM. Tonally the Clear does sit in the middle. They are rather neutral, with just a hint of warmth. I hear people say they sound really good with tubes. The U12t is even more neutral than the Clear but I feel like it's difficult to compare IEMs and headphones directly, as the U12t is often described as having a hint of warmth as well.

The EMU Ebony is a nice alternative but sometimes they come across as too warm and overly mid-bassy. Fun headphone, but certainly has its own character.

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #11,682 of 12,550

Do the Radiance sound more similar to the Clear than different?

Feb 25, 2023 at 4:50 PM Post #11,683 of 12,550
Hey guys so I had focal clear headphones that worked great on my laptop. Sold them to a local who paired it with a Denon PMA 1600 AMP and now they’re telling me if they turn up the volume higher there’s a pop and it feels like the speakers are loose when at like 20hz / when the drums hit. Works fine at normal volume. Any idea what could be wrong? He did try different cables.

Thank you

Feb 25, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #11,684 of 12,550
Do the Radiance sound more similar to the Clear than different?
Very similar, but closed backs can just never match up against an open back. Closed backs have their uses and the Radiance are a nice closed back. But to me they could never replace the Elex's/Clear's, Grado GH2's, HE6se V2's or iBasso SR2's. After six or seven hours yesterday, I was ready for a change. Much as with the Cascades. I can wear my favourite open backs for 4, 6, 8 and even 10 days straight. Not so with closed backs.
But, to get back on subject, the sound is similar, except the Radiance are more bassy and not quite as "open sounding", obviously. I am still happy with my purchase as they are a solid set of closed-back headphones.

The weird part is that they rank # 1 as the most expensive headphones I ever bought. But pleasure wise, they rank about # 4/5 in the collection. What's that about diminishing returns...? :smile:

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #11,685 of 12,550
Hey guys so I had focal clear headphones that worked great on my laptop. Sold them to a local who paired it with a Denon PMA 1600 AMP and now they’re telling me if they turn up the volume higher there’s a pop and it feels like the speakers are loose when at like 20hz / when the drums hit. Works fine at normal volume. Any idea what could be wrong? He did try different cables.

Thank you
Focal headphones are Not for head-bangers and Not for bassheads. He will have more and worse trouble if he is pushing them hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

• JML
Back