Focal Clear headphones
Nov 26, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #11,252 of 12,550
Nov 27, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #11,254 of 12,550
Focal Clears have been transformed since getting a pentaconn -> XLR cable to connect my DAP (FiiO M11 Plus) to my preamp and then on to the THX 789.
Super punchy, dynamic, with brilliantly extended top end and slamming bass. The D/S DACs really help to 'turn the contrast up' in terms of tonality, detail and dynamics, when compared to my R2R DAC,
Importantly also is the implementation of the D/S chips as compared with my old Topping D50, the Topping is cramped, flat, 2D, lacking natural timbre even though they both use similar D/S chips.

Even the soundstage is enhanced, sounding very spacious and wide with decent depth.
True.
My Clear OG, too, were positively transformed by a better DAC (the Gustard X18 really "woke them up"), then again by upgrading the XLRs (bringing out a greater sense of air, detail and space).

Nov 27, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #11,255 of 12,550
The underlying quality of the cable, beyond SE versus Pentaconn versus XLR, matters. Focal Clear OG really comes to life, gains soundstage depth & width with Norne Audio Vykari - regardless of amplifier termination type.

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #11,256 of 12,550
FYI, I've been using an Alcantara cleaner to clean the earpads and headrest. It works really well. However, it is mildly scented. But that goes away after a few days.
image.JPG
I know this is an old post, but does anyone use this stuff?
I almost ordered a bottle today, but I wanted to ask around first.

Nov 28, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #11,257 of 12,550
How is the sound with these compared to the stock pads ?
A little more on the bottom end. There are some moments where I feel like adjusting the EQ to add a tough of treble, but those are few and far between.

Staging maybe just a miniscule less open. But the comfort far outweighs any of those concerns.

Nov 29, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #11,259 of 12,550
It is full of chemicals though, so probably not a great idea having your scalp, sides of your head, and ears in contact with it.
There is no real solution for Focal earpds..

A big reason why I prefer to use the LCD-X - all leather headband and earpads that are easy to maintain.
HD800S has microfibre earpads (?) but they are easy to wipe clean once a week with an anti-bacterial wipe.

Nov 29, 2022 at 8:25 AM Post #11,260 of 12,550
It is full of chemicals though, so probably not a great idea having your scalp, sides of your head, and ears in contact with it.
No different than cleaning your leather/fabric car seats and then having your skin on them.

Nov 29, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #11,261 of 12,550
Some have reported good results from washing the pads, either by hand or in the washing machine on gentle cycle, using a gentle soap like Woolite.
Meanwhile, grab new pads from headphones.com at $79 USD.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #11,262 of 12,550
Some have reported good results from washing the pads, either by hand or in the washing machine on gentle cycle, using a gentle soap like Woolite.
Meanwhile, grab new pads from headphones.com at $79 USD.
I tried that, soaking the pads in warm water with some detergent, very gently squeezing them a couple of times with the flat palm of my hand, then squeezing out the water the same way, always making sure I don't put any lateral forces on them. The velour material suffered badly and I cannot recommend this, but also would not know how to wash them even more gently...
I tried Dekoni pads (Stellia Ltd and Velour) and ended up with the Utopia pads, which sound better than the OG pads and will hopefully last a headphone lifetime...

Nov 29, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #11,263 of 12,550
I tried that, soaking the pads in warm water with some detergent, very gently squeezing them a couple of times with the flat palm of my hand, then squeezing out the water the same way, always making sure I don't put any lateral forces on them. The velour material suffered badly and I cannot recommend this, but also would not know how to wash them even more gently...
I tried Dekoni pads (Stellia Ltd and Velour) and ended up with the Utopia pads, which sound better than the OG pads and will hopefully last a headphone lifetime...
I have seen lots of used Clears for sale and the pads usually look pretty bad. Not sure if that is from washing them, brushing them or even using a suede block. But they mostly look pretty ragged if used for a year or two.

I do have to get around to trying my Elex pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back