Focal Clear headphones
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #11,041 of 12,550
Anyone have a preferred amp they use with their Focal Clears?

I'm looking into tubes and the Clears sound good with the MCTH but I was looking at other options like the hybrid Liquid Platinum or Feliks Echo II (within that price range).
Actually under the LP / FE II price range!: Schiit Valhalla 2. Excellent with Focal Clear OG. If you upgrade the 6N1P tubes (front) with Tungsram E88CC tubes, even better - and still below LP / FE II. 😀

Oct 27, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #11,043 of 12,550
How do Focal Clear fit a large head? I have a huge head (63 cm circumference) and am thinking of buying these headphones. It is the height adjustment that is usually insufficient for me, i.e. I have to extend the headphones to the max and some headphones still don't fit. For example, I recently tried the Senn Momentum 4 and Jabra 85H they were both just barely too small (not enough height adjustment).

As a reference, I used to have HD 650s and they were really comfortable for me. Clamping force was not too high and there was enough height adjustment available. My previous AKG K550s and Sony XM4s were also fine.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #11,044 of 12,550
If the HD 650 fits your head, the Focal Clear should also fit you just fine. The Clear is a huge step up in sound quality from the HD 650. I know you will be impressed with it. The dynamics, bass definition, vocal presentation, midrange focus, and imaging capabilities on the Focal are all just excellent. I highly recommend buying it.

Oct 27, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #11,045 of 12,550
Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #11,046 of 12,550
The two keepers in my collection are for sure the HD6XX and the Focal Clear. I also added the Sundara (2020) to the collection and they all compliment each other so well.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #11,048 of 12,550
To Clear OG owners, longtime and new: if you can, replace the ‘stock’ headphone cable. It is stiff, unwieldy, and microphonic. Focal’s expertise is in loudspeakers and headphones - not in cables. Need recommendations? Forza Audio Works and Norne Audio. They have excellent build / sound quality through their product lines. (Disclosure: I use Forza Noir Hybrid HPC and Norne Audio Vygarde HPC for several headphones, including Focal Clear OG.)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #11,049 of 12,550
To Clear OG owners, longtime and new: if you can, replace the ‘stock’ headphone cable. It is stiff, unwieldy, and microphonic. Focal’s expertise is in loudspeakers and headphones - not in cables. Need recommendations? Forza Audio Works and Norne Audio. They have excellent build / sound quality through their product lines. (Disclosure: I use Forza Noir Hybrid HPC and Norne Audio Vygarde HPC for several headphones, including Focal Clear OG.)
I agree that the OG cables are still, unwieldy, and microphonic, but is there anything wrong with their sound quality? I haven't tried other cables...

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #11,050 of 12,550
I agree that the OG cables are still, unwieldy, and microphonic, but is there anything wrong with their sound quality? I haven't tried other cables...
I feel that getting better cables is the first thing to do with any of Focal's headphones.

I replaced mine with the slinky and weighty Audiophile Ninja cables. Easy to move around, coil and formless.

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #11,051 of 12,550
If the cable is microphonic, its sound quality is ‘interfered with’ by the extraneous noise from the cable via contact, rubbing…

Oct 27, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #11,052 of 12,550
Hart Audio for me, but then I've been in their "system" for a while now (cables and interconnects).

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #11,053 of 12,550
I have a pair of Clear MG's and after almost giving up on them, I replaced the stock cable with a Audiophile Ninja cable and it made a WORLD of difference - probably the most dramatic one I've ever heard. The stock cables from Focal are garbage and belong there.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #11,054 of 12,550
The stock cables from Focal are garbage and belong there.

Yeah, a real headscratcher that they can't provide a high quality cable to match the high quality phones.

Oct 27, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #11,055 of 12,550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back