Focal Clear headphones
Oct 10, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #11,027 of 12,550
The only issue with trying random pads is that many will completely change the sound of the headphone, and not in a good way.
If you go through the thread, alot of people prefer the sheepskin pads because theres more bass and it hits alot harder.

My opinion is that the clears sound much better with sheepskin pads than with the suede pads.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #11,028 of 12,550
If you go through the thread, alot of people prefer the sheepskin pads because theres more bass and it hits alot harder.

My opinion is that the clears sound much better with sheepskin pads than with the suede pads.

Had a similar experience with my Sennheiser. More comfortable and stronger lower end.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #11,029 of 12,550
Agreed:
868A80F8-AABC-45D4-809A-21B8F189D95A.jpeg

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #11,030 of 12,550
This is my EQ. This headphone really does not need much EQ to sound correct, in my opinion.

Pre-Amp = -4

1.25kHz = -2 Q 1.6
4.5kHz = +1 Q 3
6kHz = -2 Q 4.5
11.5kHz = -2 Q 2

Thanks! I tried this EQ. It was similar to one that I had but hadn't been using. I like this a bit better. I did notice that for certain types of recordings it loses a tiny bit of detail compared to no EQ. Without EQ, it can sound a bit harsh and grating. So, this is a smoother option, and I'll probably use it.

Oct 13, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #11,031 of 12,550
I knew this would happen one day. So I have a custom long braided cable that I use for when I'm recording and need a longer cable to move around the studio. I've had many times where the cable gets stuck under my chair and pulls the cable out of the ears but last night it finally happened - I got up quickly to move and the cable got caught and yanked my Clear's off the hanger about half a meter to the floor!

Upon inspection I can't see any scratches or dents and everything is working OK but when I put them back on the headphone stand it now looks like the right-hand side cup is titled differently to the left.

Now maybe I am going crazy and they were already like this, but I am thinking the headband got bent?

This pick is on the 7th click down and to me the right side tilts backwards more. Also when moving the right side adjuster, it is now stiffer than the left and when I close it back to the shortest length I get to the end and then need to push harder for the last click. The other side is smooth the whole way.

What do you think?

I mean, I am feeling very lucky they aren't broke and the headband didn't fully snap, but the fit just feels a bit off now. Dang it!

Focal clear.jpg

focal clear 2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #11,032 of 12,550
I knew this would happen one day. So I have a custom long braided cable that I use for when I'm recording and need a longer cable to move around the studio. I've had many times where the cable gets stuck under my chair and pulls the cable out of the ears but last night it finally happened - I got up quickly to move and the cable got caught and yanked my Clear's off the hanger about half a meter to the floor!

Upon inspection I can't see any scratches or dents and everything is working OK but when I put them back on the headphone stand it now looks like the right-hand side cup is titled differently to the left.

Now maybe I am going crazy and they were already like this, but I am thinking the headband got bent?

This pick is on the 7th click down and to me the right side tilts backwards more. Also when moving the right side adjuster, it is now stiffer than the left and when I close it back to the shortest length I get to the end and then need to push harder for the last click. The other side is smooth the whole way.

What do you think?

I mean, I am feeling very lucky they aren't broke and the headband didn't fully snap, but the fit just feels a bit off now. Dang it!

Focal clear.jpg

focal clear 2.jpg
Right side looks bent dude.

Looks fixable though, you could try gently straightening it. As long as they're still working fine, you lucked out.

Oct 13, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #11,034 of 12,550
Right side looks bent dude.

Looks fixable though, you could try gently straightening it. As long as they're still working fine, you lucked out.
Sure did! Yeah I might try gently bending it more inward and see. Just worried I might make it worse!

Oct 14, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #11,035 of 12,550
New custom braided cable came from Hart Audio. Had to kind of guess on the colors, but I think it looks grand.

Attachments

• photo_2022-10-14_11-37-09.jpg
    photo_2022-10-14_11-37-09.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 0
Oct 15, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #11,036 of 12,550
New custom braided cable came from Hart Audio. Had to kind of guess on the colors, but I think it looks grand.
That colourway goes really well with the Clear! Been considering getting some Hart cables due to all the great reviews, but to be honest...I don't mind the Focal cable :sweat_smile:. My setup is right next to my bed so I'm pretty closely tethered using the short cable.

Oct 24, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #11,039 of 12,550
Anyone have a preferred amp they use with their Focal Clears?

I'm looking into tubes and the Clears sound good with the MCTH but I was looking at other options like the hybrid Liquid Platinum or Feliks Echo II (within that price range).

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #11,040 of 12,550
Anyone have a preferred amp they use with their Focal Clears?

I'm looking into tubes and the Clears sound good with the MCTH but I was looking at other options like the hybrid Liquid Platinum or Feliks Echo II (within that price range).
Woo Audio WA6-SE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back