Focal Clear headphones
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #10,997 of 12,550
I actually use the Focal Clear OG + Arya Stealth + LCD-X 2021. I had the hd800s last month, but it's my least favorite so i sold it.
lol the holy trinity <$2K

Sep 29, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #10,998 of 12,550
I actually use the Focal Clear OG + Arya Stealth + LCD-X 2021. I had the hd800s last month, but it's my least favorite so i sold it.
Same lineup except Clear MG and HEKV2, and HD800 (SDR) is actually my favorite, would keep it if I had to choose just one phone.

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #10,999 of 12,550
Coming to the end of my first two weeks with the Clear. While the unmodified signature has a lot to like, starting to explore some EQ variations, just to experiment. I'm somewhat new to PEQ settings ... so while educating myself found this guide from Oratory (apparently well known), and generally like the outcome.

I welcome any EQ settings y'all may favor. I can't really say what I'm looking for ... although I lean toward the bottom end. Happy to try what you share.

Thanks!

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #11,000 of 12,550
Coming to the end of my first two weeks with the Clear. While the unmodified signature has a lot to like, starting to explore some EQ variations, just to experiment. I'm somewhat new to PEQ settings ... so while educating myself found this guide from Oratory (apparently well known), and generally like the outcome.

I welcome any EQ settings y'all may favor. I can't really say what I'm looking for ... although I lean toward the bottom end. Happy to try what you share.

Thanks!
Oratory is considered the "go-to" for PEQ settings and I'm generally pleased with his settings. Once you find a sound you like, A:B it with the settings on and off and listen to how different they sound to your ears. That'll give you a general idea of the "type" of headphones you would lean towards (bass-heavy, analytical, mid-focused, etc.).

With PEQ settings, a little goes a long way...

Sep 30, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #11,001 of 12,550
Oratory is considered the "go-to" for PEQ settings and I'm generally pleased with his settings. Once you find a sound you like, A:B it with the settings on and off and listen to how different they sound to your ears. That'll give you a general idea of the "type" of headphones you would lean towards (bass-heavy, analytical, mid-focused, etc.).

With PEQ settings, a little goes a long way...

Yep, that sounds sensible to me. Many thanks.

Sep 30, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #11,002 of 12,550
Classic Rock: "More Than a Feeling" - Boston, Boston
Progressive Rock: "Leave It" - Yes, 90215
Trans: "Tubular Bells" - Mike Oldfield
Blues (my jam): "Sure Got Cold After The Rain Fell" - ZZ Top
Modern Stuff: "Gold On The Ceiling" - Black Keys
Soundtracks (Zimmer): Pretty much the entire "Gladiator" sountrack
Soundtrack (other): Currently on a "Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power" soundtrack kick. Pretty much anything Bear McCreary, actually. The "Battlestar Galactica" sound track is good, too!

Just a few suggestions - so many to choose from...
Great recommendations!
Need to listen to the gladiator soundtrack again. Beautiful stuff.

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #11,003 of 12,550
Great recommendations!
Need to listen to the gladiator soundtrack again. Beautiful stuff.
I recommend listening to that soundtrack from Hans Zimmer's LIVE suite:

"The World of Hans Zimmer: A Symphonic Celebration"

It's incredible

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #11,004 of 12,550
I recommend listening to that soundtrack from Hans Zimmer's LIVE suite:

"The World of Hans Zimmer: A Symphonic Celebration"

It's incredible
The "Dark Knight" soundtrack is also pretty intense. "Why So Serious?" Has some great sub-bass...

Sep 30, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #11,005 of 12,550
IMG_8779.JPG

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #11,006 of 12,550
The "Dark Knight" soundtrack is also pretty intense. "Why So Serious?" Has some great sub-bass...
Indeed. He does something similar on the first track of "The Dune Sketchbook."

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #11,007 of 12,550
For those that EQ the OG Clears (as I do), I have noticed that Jaakkopasanen has updated all of his AutoEQ targets with new results. For the Clears he uses the Oratory measurements but doesn't use the Harman 2018 target bass shelf as I thought he used to?

I really like these settings as I think the Harman bass shelf is too much and they address the shouty-ness centered around 1.3k and make adjustments around the 6k peak to smooth out the high mid/treble response:

Clear EQ.png

Here is a general idea of the final result compared to a Crinacle measurement with the adjusted AutoEQ FR in green:

AutoEQ.png

The Crinacle measured FR in blue is with worn pads - who knows just how worn?

For those looking for just a touch more warmth, the low shelf can be changed to something like 125Hz or more, which will give a slight bump around 100-150Hz.

Sounds pretty good to me :L3000:

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 1:04 PM Post #11,008 of 12,550
For those that EQ the OG Clears (as I do), I have noticed that Jaakkopasanen has updated all of his AutoEQ targets with new results. For the Clears he uses the Oratory measurements but doesn't use the Harman 2018 target bass shelf as I thought he used to?

I really like these settings as I think the Harman bass shelf is too much and they address the shouty-ness centered around 1.3k and make adjustments around the 6k peak to smooth out the high mid/treble response:

Clear EQ.png

Here is a general idea of the final result compared to a Crinacle measurement with the adjusted AutoEQ FR in green:

AutoEQ.png

The Crinacle FR in blue is with worn pads - who knows just how worn?

For those looking for just a touch more warmth, the low shelf can be changed to something like 125Hz or more, which will give a slight bump around 100-150Hz.

Sounds pretty good to me :L3000:

Pretty good! It was feeling a little ... compressed, so I deactivated the 4519kHz setting and that helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back