Focal Clear headphones
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #10,876 of 12,581
Received the Aliexpress leather earpads. Seems to be real leather. Feels nice. Great for 30usd.

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_183905.jpg
    IMG_20220829_183905.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220829_183916.jpg
    IMG_20220829_183916.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #10,877 of 12,581
Received the Aliexpress leather earpads. Seems to be real leather. Feels nice.

I received the leather ones and think they are great for 30usd
They look good. Like from the factory.

Aug 29, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #10,878 of 12,581
I've had the Focal Clears (OG) since they were released. Really loved them. But as time went on I didn't (haven't) listened as much. They are bland for my tastes. Seems like they are a headphone for all genres. They do everything good, but not much great. However, I've recently purchased the newest Grado TOTL GS3000x. They are much more to my liking than the Focal. Obviously, Grados are a love'm or hate'm brand. I guess most people don't care for them. I love them, and much prefer their sound and timbre to the Clears! As always, YMMV

Leo

Aug 29, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #10,879 of 12,581
I've had the Focal Clears (OG) since they were released. Really loved them. But as time went on I didn't (haven't) listened as much. They are bland for my tastes. Seems like they are a headphone for all genres. They do everything good, but not much great. However, I've recently purchased the newest Grado TOTL GS3000x. They are much more to my liking than the Focal. Obviously, Grados are a love'm or hate'm brand. I guess most people don't care for them. I love them, and much prefer their sound and timbre to the Clears! As always, YMMV

Leo
I would think that they would be a nice matching pair. As a much poorer headphone fan, my favourite 'phones are my Focal Elex's and Grado GH2's. I think they are a Great combo.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #10,880 of 12,581

Leo

This is a really interesting point you make. I've recently had similar thoughts. However, I wonder if absent Grado's would we feel this way?

The Grado's performance + soul is what seems to make the Focals (in comparison) sound "bland."

If we were never "Gradoed" is it possible the Focals would still be top-shelf each night during sessions?

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #10,881 of 12,581
This is a really interesting point you make. I've recently had similar thoughts. However, I wonder if absent Grado's would we feel this way?

The Grado's performance + soul is what seems to make the Focals (in comparison) sound "bland."

If we were never "Gradoed" is it possible the Focals would still be top-shelf each night during sessions?
I would never find the Clears bland, if they have the bass that the Elex's do. The only weakness to the Grado's is the lack of bass. But the Grado has magical mid's.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #10,882 of 12,581

Leo
I have yet to hear any grados, was always curious about them but I know most of the lineup is bass light and I'm a basshead. How is the bass on the gs3000x? Do they have a physical store where you can go demo them in Brooklyn?

What I like most about the clears is the bass impact with sheepskin pads. Because of the way the driver is designed, theres no other headphone that can deliver the level of punch like the clears. If there is I have yet to hear it. It rolls off in the lower regions of bass but where its strong, it hits like a tank.

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #10,883 of 12,581
I would never find the Clears bland, if they have the bass that the Elex's do. The only weakness to the Grado's is the lack of bass. But the Grado has magical mid's.

Perhaps bland is too strong a word (fair point) - but I personally get Leo's perspective - there is a "soul" to Grado mids that when you go back to the Clears you do notice is immediately missing - although this happens with many headphones (post Grado) not unique to clear.

That being said, IMHO, the Clears with certain genre will outperform Grado, especially in handling bass/dynamics (as you note)

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:37 PM Post #10,884 of 12,581
As I mentioned the bass impact is hard to beat on the clears with sheepskin pads. I mean look at the size of the magnet. Its deceiving because the driver is 40mm but that doesn't include this magnet.
20220829_203334.JPG

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:41 PM Post #10,885 of 12,581
Perhaps bland is too strong a word (fair point) - but I personally get Leo's perspective - there is a "soul" to Grado mids that when you go back to the Clears you do notice is immediately missing - although this happens with many headphones (post Grado) not unique to clear.

That being said, IMHO, the Clears with certain genre will outperform Grado, especially in handling bass/dynamics (as you note)
I always describe them as "The Grado's have mids for miles".
Whereas I find the Elex's are an awesome W-shaped headphone. Very good bass (especially for an open back), great mids and enough treble to give lots of detail.
My top 2, as of right now. :smile:

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #10,886 of 12,581
I would think that they would be a nice matching pair. As a much poorer headphobe fan, my favourite 'phones are my Focal Elex's and Grado GH2's. I think they are a Great combo.
How do you muster up the courage to listen to a ‘headphobe’? 😳….

Aug 29, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #10,887 of 12,581
Grado (Hemp, RS-1x…) driven by Schiit Lyr 3 with Ken-Rad 6C5 tube pair do not lack bass.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #10,888 of 12,581
How do you muster up the courage to listen to a ‘headphobe’? 😳….
It takes a special skill that starts with defective little fingers...

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #10,889 of 12,581
Grado (Hemp, RS-1x…) driven by Schiit Lyr 3 with Ken-Rad 6C5 tube pair do not lack bass.
Depends on the toys used. My Little Dot MK9 can certainly thicken them up. And of course I can, and do, add bass boost from my iFi. The warmth of a Violectric will even help.
But they will Never come close to the Focals.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #10,890 of 12,581
I am surprised by that fact. I would not expect much from a Lyr 3, but of course I never heard one. I had a Vali2 for a few months and gave up on It.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back