Focal Clear headphones
Aug 29, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #10,891 of 12,550
I have yet to hear any grados, was always curious about them but I know most of the lineup is bass light and I'm a basshead. How is the bass on the gs3000x? Do they have a physical store where you can go demo them in Brooklyn?

What I like most about the clears is the bass impact with sheepskin pads. Because of the way the driver is designed, theres no other headphone that can deliver the level of punch like the clears. If there is I have yet to hear it. It rolls off in the lower regions of bass but where its strong, it hits like a tank.

Maybe try the SR60s?

I have two pairs of Grado's...the SR60s and the GW100. I enjoy them both and the bass is enough for me on these models -- definitely not Basshead though.

When I got the SR60s years ago, I went to the audio store (remember those?) intent on dipping my toes in the Grado waters. I fully expected to get the SR325s, see if I liked the Grado sound, and then explore their more expensive cans if I did. After listening to all the cans in the SR series, I found I liked the SR60s the best. I still pull them out and listen to them.

Guessing this FR chart explains why I liked the SR60s better...more bass and less emphasis on the treble than the other SR series cans.

1661822244339.png

The downside to my Grado demoing experience was I felt there was little to no value in moving up the Grado chain based on what I heard that day. I often wonder if I'm missing out by never trying the expensive Grados. If that shop was still around, I'd go give the upper end Grados a listen and see if there's some magic in their TOTL cans...

Attachments

• 1661823029487.png
    1661823029487.png
    283.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 29, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #10,892 of 12,550
I am surprised by that fact. I would not expect much from a Lyr 3, but of course I never heard one. I had a Vali2 for a few months and gave up on It.
It’s the pairing of CJ5 s versus a single 6SN7 that takes Lyr 3 ‘beyond’. Plus, being Ken Rads,……I might add that the Lyr 3 is heavy for its size: great power transformer & power supply.

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #10,893 of 12,550
I have yet to hear any grados, was always curious about them but I know most of the lineup is bass light and I'm a basshead. How is the bass on the gs3000x? Do they have a physical store where you can go demo them in Brooklyn?

What I like most about the clears is the bass impact with sheepskin pads. Because of the way the driver is designed, theres no other headphone that can deliver the level of punch like the clears. If there is I have yet to hear it. It rolls off in the lower regions of bass but where its strong, it hits like a tank.
In my opinion, the 3000x have the most bass of any Grado in their lineup. YMMV

Leo

Aug 30, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #10,894 of 12,550
Aug 30, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #10,895 of 12,550
The Focal Clear headphones are bland? Far from it for these ears. We all use different equipment and have different hearing so this is definitely a subjective topic. I'm a CD spinner and use an Audiolab transport and a couple of entry level Schiit DACs with either my Drop THX789 or Adgard 3 amp. I've always loved the little Modi multibit, best $250 that I spent in Audio in 50 years, and enjoy my Modius. My favorite is my Marantz CD-80 with the TD1541A single crown DAC. When I pair this with either amp and the Clears they come alive. As do my trusty HD600 or WP900 headphones. I have nothing against the Grados. I've owned the RS1e in the past but just couldn't get comfortable using them. I tried the bigger ear cushions too. Maybe I'll try another pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 30, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #10,897 of 12,550
Personally I can’t fathom the Clear being described as bland, simply due to how much slam they have!
Well, everyone is different. GS3000x is new, so not many people have heard them. For me, the Clear are now meh, and I will probably be selling them.

Regardless, enjoy the music!!

Leo

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #10,898 of 12,550
Would anyone in the NYC area be interested in meeting up to compare and A/B our Clear OG's? I've had mine for about 3 months now, and while I haven't gotten nearly enough listening time on them I've managed to convince myself that my particular pair deviate substantially from the Clear sound that everyone talks about.

Aug 30, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #10,899 of 12,550
Would anyone in the NYC area be interested in meeting up to compare and A/B our Clear OG's? I've had mine for about 3 months now, and while I haven't gotten nearly enough listening time on them I've managed to convince myself that my particular pair deviate substantially from the Clear sound that everyone talks about.
When you compare / A-B, make sure that the pads of A and B are the same type (and close to the same age). Clear OG sound does change with pad change.

Aug 31, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #10,901 of 12,550
When you compare / A-B, make sure that the pads of A and B are the same type (and close to the same age). Clear OG sound does change with pad change.
That's a very good point. Based on the amount of listening time I've put on these Clears the pads probably haven't broken in all that much. Realizing that all cans are influenced by pad break-in to a greater or lesser degree... would you say the Clears fall toward the greater or the lesser end of the spectrum?

I have the Dekoni Stellia pads on my Elegia. Might be time to roll them over to the Clears and see what happens.

Aug 31, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #10,902 of 12,550
If I may ask, you have that engaged on your Pro iCAN, right?
Yes sir. Most of my headphones get iFi bass boost, besides the obvious exceptions.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #10,905 of 12,550
Any one here have both the Clears and Aeolus? I am wonder how do they compare.

They are 2 totally different set of cans. Have you ever owned a set of ZMFs? They are ZMF almost to an extreme.....warm tilted. The Clear are much more detailed and dynamic with slightly more soundstage. Pretty netural. But that's all just what you can read online. They are 2 very different experiences.......ZMF you sacrifice detail and stage and is mid focused but the sound is......enveloping? but at the same time that sacrifice doesn't seem to affect the overall enjoyment. Hard to describe. Clears are Clears. Neutral, extended, dynamic slam, slightly metallic, kind of attacks you. The Aeolus are a more euphonic experience. One thing about the ZMFs, you really CAN change the sound signature a LOT with pad swapping and ZMF offers a bucketload of pads. The Clears are an analytical headphone that's slightly fun bc of the slam. The ZMF are an enjoyable headphone that's slightly analytic with enough detail if that makes sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back