Focal Clear headphones
May 7, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #10,576 of 12,550
• The cable in the third picture is an Arctic Cables Palladium Series. Two years ago, that was T.O.T.L. Other headphone cables that I use and recommend are Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid and Norne Audio Vygarde.
• In an aftermarket (non-stock) headphone cable, you should seek higher sound quality, better build, durability, pride of ownership.
• A headphone maker’s strong suit is the headphone - not the cable. The headphone maker provides a ‘passable’ cable to do the job without creating a cost overrun. The tendency to ‘economise’ on the cable build is there.
With your taste for expensive cables, what is your opinion of Hart Audio Cables, if you have tried them?

I love the conveinence and they sound fine to me. Although my headphone hoarding may play a part in that opinion. :ksc75smile:

May 7, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #10,577 of 12,550
With your taste for expensive cables, what is your opinion of Hart Audio Cables, if you have tried them?

I love the conveinence and they sound fine to me. Although my headphone hoarding may play a part in that opinion. :ksc75smile:
I have not tried Hart. Their cabling system makes a lot of sense. Oh, I do not veer towards cables for their price but for their (lack of) sound…😜🤷🏻‍♂️

May 7, 2022 at 5:07 PM Post #10,578 of 12,550

I've never tried a Hart cable. I understand the concept, but am not a fan of adding additional connections into the loop if possible.

If you want to try another high quality, lower price point cable (without the QC issues of no-name Chinese stuff off Ali Express, check out Audiophile Ninja cables. Good stuff at very reasonable prices.

May 7, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #10,579 of 12,550
I've never tried a Hart cable. I understand the concept, but am not a fan of adding additional connections into the loop if possible.

If you want to try another high quality, lower price point cable (without the QC issues of no-name Chinese stuff off Ali Express, check out Audiophile Ninja cables. Good stuff at very reasonable prices.
I already have the Hart system in place now with many cables, many connectors and a new cable and an extension on the way. I was just curious about opinions. The only higher quality cable that I ever tried before Hart was Periapt and I wasn't overly impressed. Of course they are Not real expensive.

May 9, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #10,580 of 12,550
I was filtering through this forum earlier, attempting to find out the reason this headphone was discontinued. I can’t seem to locate an answer. Seeing as these phones are pretty well liked, recommended and purchased, why would focal discontinue them? Was there QC issues or the like that caused it?

May 9, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #10,582 of 12,550

Love Hart cables. The color options and interconnects help keep less cables around. I'm sure there are other options, but price, quality and options make it my personal go to

May 9, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #10,583 of 12,550
I was filtering through this forum earlier, attempting to find out the reason this headphone was discontinued. I can’t seem to locate an answer. Seeing as these phones are pretty well liked, recommended and purchased, why would focal discontinue them? Was there QC issues or the like that caused it?
Check the previous couple pages.

May 10, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #10,584 of 12,550
I went back and compared the 3 types of pads I have.

Focal stock:
most mid forward, vocals stand out, top and bottom frequencies complement and support the midrange very nicely. More relaxed compared to the other pads. The soft foam and perforated microfibre seem to absorb sounds more than on the other pads.

Dekoni Stellia Sheepskin:
Punchiest and most "precise" pad. Definitely elevates the sub-1000 Hz range, midrange is no longer prominent but rather equal to the lower frequencies. The definition of tones is higher, everything sounds tighter and more energetic. Soundstage is wider and imaging has better focus and separation.

Dekoni Velour:
Pretty much in the middle between the stock and Stellia pads. Midrange a little forward but not as much as with the stock pads. Bass a little elevated compared to stock, a little punchier and tighter than stock but more relaxed than Stellia.

Bottomline: Get the Dekonis if you are open to a change in sound signature, they add a different flavour to the Clears, and to me they are an interesting and appealing option. If you want to stick to the stock character better stay with stock pads.

Great information @surfgeorge, thank you. There are also Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin which I use happily on my Clear MG. Have you tried those to permit comparison with the other 3 you reference above?

May 10, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #10,585 of 12,550
Hello all,

It's been 2 years since I bought my Clear, and I must say it's getting a bit greasy now...
What is the recommanded solution for headband en pads now? I have seen some pics on this thread with stuff around the headband, any reference you could share?

Thanks!

May 10, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #10,586 of 12,550
Hello all,

It's been 2 years since I bought my Clear, and I must say it's getting a bit greasy now...
What is the recommanded solution for headband en pads now? I have seen some pics on this thread with stuff around the headband, any reference you could share?

Thanks!

I use this one for the headband on my Clears. It works great. The cover is now greasy but headband looks brand new after 1 1/2 years of use.

Geekria Replacement Headband Cover for ATH M50x, M50xWH, M50xBB
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07HQFVS8Y/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQFVS8Y/
71CI9F4vxLL._AC_SY450_.jpg

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #10,588 of 12,550
My original Clear Pro pads are holding up really well after more than a year of use. The extra pads are still in the box. I really enjoy these headphones.
2 years here. The first set doesn't look pretty anymore but is sonically sound. Foam is still good, red cloth is a little frayed and discolored after a few washes.

Spare pair is still slumbering peacefully in the box.

May 11, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #10,589 of 12,550
Comparing the clear vs elex pads they look and feel identical but sound a little different.

I think the wear on the clear pads accounts for the difference, elex pads are almost new.
IMG_20220508_223854.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_223854.jpg
    IMG_20220508_223854.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
May 11, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #10,590 of 12,550
Elex pads are slightly shallower and don't throw as wide a stage.. in my experience of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back