Focal Clear headphones
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #10,516 of 12,550
Sorry to hear that. You didn't have any EQ or bass boost on at all, did you?
Nothing, completely stock out of the box into the K9 Pro ESS. Tidal master track, low gain, moderate volume.

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #10,517 of 12,550
I listen regularly in the 75-90dB range, and in almost a full year of daily listening I've never experienced clipping once on my OG Clears. Plenty of sub-bass music listened to during that time as well, including the "torture" tracks that get referred to as examples.

I have zero problems recommending the Clear as a great headphone based on my personal experience.

Clipping occurring at normal, safe volume levels must certainly be a defect.

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #10,518 of 12,550
I listen regularly in the 75-90dB range, and in almost a full year of daily listening I've never experienced clipping once on my OG Clears. Plenty of sub-bass music listened to during that time as well, including the "torture" tracks that get referred to as examples.

I have zero problems recommending the Clear as a great headphone based on my personal experience.

Thanks for the response. I have Utopias coming in tomorrow for a direct comparison with the OG Clears. I want to volume match and see if the clipping happens at the same volume. If the Utopias pass the test, then I’ll likely keep them. If both clip, then on to finding the next open back, all day comfort, warm/neutral headphone with fast and punchy bass for modern music.

I really hope the Utopia doesn’t clip. Maybe I’ll exchange my OG Clears then instead of returning them…

Not sure where I’d even turn next to be honest. I don’t want to EQ so LCD-5 is off the table, not to mention the clamping issue (maybe new headband fixes it. The Diana TC hasn’t had enough reputable reviews nor is the Diana every spoken about when it comes to comfort.

Last choice might be empyrean or the elite?

Apr 25, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #10,519 of 12,550
Thanks for the response. I have Utopias coming in tomorrow for a direct comparison with the OG Clears. I want to volume match and see if the clipping happens at the same volume. If the Utopias pass the test, then I’ll likely keep them. If both clip, then on to finding the next open back, all day comfort, warm/neutral headphone with fast and punchy bass for modern music.

I really hope the Utopia doesn’t clip. Maybe I’ll exchange my OG Clears then instead of returning them…

Not sure where I’d even turn next to be honest. I don’t want to EQ so LCD-5 is off the table, not to mention the clamping issue (maybe new headband fixes it. The Diana TC hasn’t had enough reputable reviews nor is the Diana every spoken about when it comes to comfort.

Last choice might be empyrean or the elite?
I'm very interested to read your comparison to find out how the Utopias fare regarding clipping. Hope they're fine and that the Clears are defective.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #10,520 of 12,550

I think that it depends on the particular headphone that you get. While I don't want to say that they have quality control issues because to me that doesn't seem to be the case. The issue seems to be the voice coil wiring and /or solder.

I've opened up my own clear and looked at a few elex's and it looks like almost all of the issues related to the driver failing are from the voice coil snapping or it loses continuity at the solder joints.

I mentioned this before, its seems likethe solder that focal is using is causing complete failure or reduced continuity for whatever reason. On my clears, everything was intact but the left driver went dead. After i desoldered and resoldered, it was starting to clip on the side i fixed.

download_20220425_140057.jpg

If you look at the solder joint, my soldering was a little sloppy and a bit of the voice coil wire is sticking out. After i resoldered it to hold as much of that voice coil wire as possible, the clipping disappeared.

In addition, i had to resolder the other side because the solder i used was mundorf supreme and it caused a channel imbalance to great to ignore. I did the same thing on the other side, also had to resolder again on that side because i guess i didnt get enough meat into the solder since it was clipping also. But after all said and done it works great now.

This is just a theory of what may be causing the clipping for you. It could be a few other factors too but this is what it was for me.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #10,521 of 12,550
I'm very interested to read your comparison to find out how the Utopias fare regarding clipping. Hope they're fine and that the Clears are defective.
Update; I’ve had the Utopias connected to my K9 Pro ESS, volume matched with the OG Clears on the same amp. I tested both headphones on a bunch of songs at a moderate volume level, no clipping. I then launched the Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack at that same moderate listening level and tested the 2049 song @1:48 and @1:58. The Utopia had no audible clip, the Clears clipped super heavy and fierce.

I then raised the volume on the Utopias and Clears on a bunch of songs to peak (tinnitus) listening volumes. Clears clipped on 2 songs and Utopias still did not clip. I then went back to that 2049 test track using those same peak levels of volume and there was an ever so slight clip on the Utopia. The clip was very short and almost unnoticeableI, might not of noticed if I wasn’t paying close attention. I did not test the Clears as they had already clipped on that test track at a much lower volume and they clipped during regular song listening at a peak listening volume.

This test proves that my OG Clear was clipping at 20hz-40hz way sooner then they should have been or that Utopia has a much higher threshold.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #10,522 of 12,550
Update; I’ve had the Utopias connected to my K9 Pro ESS, volume matched with the OG Clears on the same amp. I tested both headphones on a bunch of songs at a moderate volume level, no clipping. I then launched the Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack at that same moderate listening level and tested the 2049 song @1:48 and @1:58. The Utopia had no audible clip, the Clears clipped super heavy and fierce.

I then raised the volume on the Utopias and Clears on a bunch of songs to peak (tinnitus) listening volumes. Clears clipped on 2 songs and Utopias still did not clip. I then went back to that 2049 test track using those same peak levels of volume and there was an ever so slight clip on the Utopia. The clip was very short and almost unnoticeableI, might not of noticed if I wasn’t paying close attention. I did not test the Clears as they had already clipped on that test track at a much lower volume and they clipped during regular song listening at a peak listening volume.

This test proves that my OG Clear was clipping 20hz-40hz way sooner then they should have been or that Utopia has a much higher threshold.
To me, it's "clear" your Clears are defective. The behavior of the Utopia seems like the norm. I wish I could try the Utopia, though. Maybe one day. Enjoy yours!

Apr 25, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #10,523 of 12,550

This test proves that my OG Clear was clipping 20hz-40hz way sooner then they should have been or that Utopia has a much higher threshold.
Sounds like you got a bad one, I would return it if you can or send in for warranty repair if it was a recent purchase.

I've tried to make my Clears clip because people keep saying they clip at a certain volume level but I turned it up to a deafening 55 on my Audio-gd m19 and there was no clipping at any frequency. I usually listen to music at 34-35. I think that voice coil wire is very sensitive in the way it needs to be soldered, may be thats whats causing the clipping in some of them. It doesn't help that the solder focal uses is crap. I've seen some of the voice coil wires snap which usually indicates a hotspot probably caused by an increase in resistance, most likely due to that crap solder. It seems that most of the voice coil issues are out of the box and happen right away.

How do you like the Utopias? I loved them when I heard them at canjam, I tried to buy her pretty heart but the price too high.

Apr 25, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #10,524 of 12,550
To me, it's "clear" your Clears are defective. The behavior of the Utopia seems like the norm. I wish I could try the Utopia, though. Maybe one day. Enjoy yours!
It’s one of 2 things, either the Utopia has a much higher threshold then it should or the Clear OG has a much lower threshold then it should.

Then again, maybe it’s a combination of both, who knows. Either way, there is no reason for any of these headphones clipping. Especially at $4,300 MSRP.

Even though it barley clipped at tinnitus level of volume, it’s still inexcusable IMO. Whether it’s designed that way or not, it’s not something I can agree with at the price Focal is charging for either headphone.

Going to do some soul searching on whether or not I’m keeping these or not.

Might look at a pair of LCD-5, Meze Elite/Empyrean or go back to the closed back Z1R and Kimber Kable.

May 1, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #10,526 of 12,550
Hi there, i used to have a Clear a few years ago when it cames into market after intensive comparision with other headphones.
I finally selt them as i hadn't so much time to listen to headphones at home.
Now that i came back into hobby, they missed me ... I suddenly saw last week that a new batch came on french dealers, so i immediately bought one :)
They came with a new cable, similar to the Focal Radiance i also own, no more tissue.
It's a joy to get to know them again, especially with the Mojo2Poly combo which pairs really well with !
I remember that the stock pads were very easily dirty, so I changed them with Utopia pads on my first Clears.
Any advice for a better (and less expensive) choice ?

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #10,527 of 12,550
Hi there, i used to have a Clear a few years ago when it cames into market after intensive comparision with other headphones.
Now that i came back into hobby, they missed me ... I suddenly saw last week that a new batch came on french dealers, so i immediately bought one :)
They came with a new cable, similar to the Focal Radiance i also own, no more tissue.
It's a joy to get to know them again, especially with the Mojo2Poly combo which pairs really well with !
I remember that the stock pads were very easily dirty, so I changed them with Utopia pads on my first Clears.
I bought this from ebay and it works great. Been pad rolling and settled on these soft brown leather pads I got from Vesper audio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174976681122?var=474125065563

IMG_20220421_210644.jpg

May 1, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #10,528 of 12,550

75-90Db's? Wow, that is loud! I give up where you start.:ksc75smile:

May 1, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #10,529 of 12,550
I would recommend looking at the DEKONI pads for Focal headphones. Personally I bought the velour pads and the Stellia Limited Sheepskin pads. I really like the Stellia Ltd, and DEKONI just launched them again due to their popularity. Search this thread for more information.

May 1, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #10,530 of 12,550
I bought this from ebay and it works great. Been pad rolling and settled on these soft brown leather pads I got from Vesper audio.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174976681122?var=474125065563

Thanks, how does it affects the sound compared to stock pads ?

I would recommend looking at the DEKONI pads for Focal headphones. Personally I bought the velour pads and the Stellia Limited Sheepskin pads. I really like the Stellia Ltd, and DEKONI just launched them again due to their popularity. Search this thread for more information.

Thanks, yep I saw that while I was browsing quickly the thread (702 pages :sweat_smile:), but it seems to change the frequency response quite a lot no ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back