Focal Clear headphones
Jan 11, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #10,291 of 12,550
These cans successfully ended my headphone journey lol.
I got my amp sorted, now the Dac.
What dac does the clear go really well with? the Ares II and Bitfrost 2 seem to be popping up alot....anything else within reason?
Between the two. I highly recommend the bf2 over the ares. That's just me though. I like dynamics in my music. Lol

Jan 11, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #10,292 of 12,550
Similar to the Bifrost 2, if you find a used Gungnir MB you get more of the good Schiit goodness. They are hard to come by used, but usually go for $ 800-900, so not crazy money per se.
Definitely this ☝

If you can swing the extra dough. The Gumby is a lot better than bf2. At least to my ears, and that was when my Gumby still had gen5 usb.

Jan 11, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #10,294 of 12,550
Hi received a pair of clear pros about 3 weeks ago and i am really blown away.
Question is does the nail in the ear treble spike that occasionally invades reduce with burn in?
Am running it conjunction with a schitt asgard 3 and modius combination.
Thanks in advance

I recommend trying oratory's EQ preset. I instantly loved what I was hearing when I tried it out for my Clear. Smooths out and thickens up the sound signature which, when stock, can sound a bit hot for my tastes.

Jan 12, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #10,295 of 12,550
I run mine on a THX-789 which is about as sterile/uncoloured of an amp as you can get and I have no complaints with the treble. No EQ. I'm also very sensitive to sibilance and have had issues with other headphones and IEMs in the past, hence I generally prefer dark/warm headphones like the HD650 or the LCD2.1. The Clear has no unpleasantness to my ears. I'm using the Dekoni LE Stelia Pads but previously with the stock I had zero complaints (other than how hard they were to clean).
I want to see your face listening to a T-90 out of an analytical solid state lol

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #10,296 of 12,550
I want to see your face listening to a T-90 out of an analytical solid state lol
I bet that the expression is neither sterile nor uncoloured…😳…same with the language…🤬

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #10,298 of 12,550
That does not seem like something I’d want to try, lol. Based on the descriptions alone I’ve never had the urge to try Beyers, don’t seem like my cup of tea. Hell, I found the Denon D2000 too sharp.

Jan 17, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #10,300 of 12,550
Anything online that you could recommend? I'm not familiar with how to find superior audiophile test stuff. How does one know which is acceptable codec or even if that is feasible online? Thanks Ifalna.
Late reply but:

Online? Freely accessible? Probably nowhere. Even on Tidal you do not have any guarantee that you aren't listening to "upscaled" .mp3. >.<
Though I wouldn't fret too much, modern Codecs are pretty good and you need pretty freaky samples / volumes to reliably tell them apart under double blind conditions.
I merely wanted to point it out, so people are aware of it, in case anything may be audible.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #10,301 of 12,550
Thank to all who mentioned hart audio cables here. Much better than the stock portable Clear cable I was using haha.

Jan 20, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #10,304 of 12,550
is there a link to the cable you purchased? thanks in advance
The portable cable I mentioned? I was referring to the included shorter cable that comes with the clear.

If your asking about the hart audio cable, its their dual 3.5mm cable, they call it the "HC-9" cable

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #10,305 of 12,550
is there a link to the cable you purchased? thanks in advance

IMHO --> Focal headphones are an investment. You're unlikely to "gain" from Hart Audio over the Focal Cables. I've used Hart Audio and am not suggesting anything wrong/bad... just don't find them to be better than average ... and really not a true upgrade to the stock Focal cables.

Lot of other options out there if you want to invest in upgraded cables for Focal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back