Focal Clear headphones
Aug 29, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #9,871 of 12,640
I really don't! XD From my phone they're identical. From onboard PC audio, there is an opening in the bass for sure. The 560s doesn't open no matter what I plugged it into, even my amp before it got fried. Okay, I'll report back after I buy a Jot 2 or something similar in the midrange price.

I suppose underpowering headphones below their capability makes them sound like budget headphones cuz their speed and rigidity are not being utilized. Interesting what can be learned in this hobby.
As a rule of thumb, always get powerful amps to cover all your cans and use the volume knob as needed as there is no such thing that a $300 amp can drive a $1,500 cans to their full capacity.
When deciding to shift to the upper league of cans, consider to do it at the amp level too.

Aug 29, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #9,872 of 12,640
So you said when you used the Clear with the SMSL SP400 amp, you can listen a lot louder without the clippings? That's good to know, so I guess a better / powerful amp might be needed for the Clear then. The SP400 is like $600 amp though.

No, not quite what I meant and the Clear's don't need that kind of power. I meant it was a way louder level than I would ever listen to myself as in dB, the main difference between the Zen DAC and even the Zen Can amp when I used them would have been the bass boost may have been on I suspect and the SP 400 had no bass boosting etc.

I think the people at Focal and others in this thread have already stated the reason is known and it's not really true clipping as such but the driver reaching it's excursion limits on sub bass at high spl. I've never heard it happen on mine during my normal listening in my time owning the clears (I also own elegia's) on all types of music, even on the bass heavy stuff. So not a fault, maybe a con for these cans if you listen at extreme volume/spl and like heavy sub-bass but that gives you 2 options.

No# 1, Lower your volume and just enjoy or
No# 2 it gives you a perfect excuse to also buy yourself some bass cannon's that better suit that that type of individual preferences.

Only other option is if it's doing it at lower volume is that the headphone may be faulty obviously I guess.

As a rule of thumb, always get powerful amps to cover all your cans and use the volume knob as needed as there is no such thing that a $300 amp can drive a $1,500 cans to their full capacity.
When deciding to shift to the upper league of cans, consider to do it at the amp level too.

As is often said: "It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!"

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #9,873 of 12,640
Might as well look at some of the Flux Lab Acoustics amps then :V I want a balanced one, but their balanced options are like 2 watts. Wouldn't that affect the Clear's low end punch?

Aug 29, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #9,874 of 12,640
Might as well look at some of the Flux Lab Acoustics amps then :V I want a balanced one, but their balanced options are like 2 watts. Wouldn't that affect the Clear's low end punch?
Their balanced amp is the FA-12 and is going to blow your Clears into bits....
BTW - It is a great match with the Clear and it has a very dynamic and punchy low end.

Aug 30, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #9,877 of 12,640
My Clears with BHA-1 and Bifrost 2 sounds on the warm side of things.
Yeah, I thought the Clears were slightly warm — and pleasantly so — the first time I ever heard them just straight out of my iPad. I was actually surprised as the one worry I had about them before buying them was that I might find them too cold and sterile for my tastes, but that worry quickly vanished.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #9,879 of 12,640
I am looking for something to go in between my hd 6xx and clears with more sub bass emphasis. I don't need crazy bass head but mid V shape would be ideal. Any advice where to lean? I had the z1rs and while the bass was just about perfect, detail/sparkle was lacking for me and i didn't feel like the overall SQ was worth the price. Looking maybe $700 max pre owned.

Aug 30, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #9,880 of 12,640
I am looking for something to go in between my hd 6xx and clears with more sub bass emphasis. I don't need crazy bass head but mid V shape would be ideal. Any advice where to lean? I had the z1rs and while the bass was just about perfect, detail/sparkle was lacking for me and i didn't feel like the overall SQ was worth the price. Looking maybe $700 max pre owned.

Elear?

Aug 31, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #9,881 of 12,640
I am looking for something to go in between my hd 6xx and clears with more sub bass emphasis. I don't need crazy bass head but mid V shape would be ideal. Any advice where to lean? I had the z1rs and while the bass was just about perfect, detail/sparkle was lacking for me and i didn't feel like the overall SQ was worth the price. Looking maybe $700 max pre owned.have you
Have you looked into something like the lcd-2C?

Sep 1, 2021 at 1:35 PM Post #9,884 of 12,640
Looks like after not even a year my Clear Pro got a channel matching issue.
The left side response for 0-100 Hz is better then on the right driver, after the 100 Hz it shifts all to the right side.
Even when trying to match it via my RME balance settings, i can't get it correct.
Turning around the headphones, so switching ears inverts the effect, so it is now hearing loss.
Switched the cables, the sources, the amps, everywhere the same.

I have to ask the dealer if he can do something about it!

Sep 1, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #9,885 of 12,640
Looks like after not even a year my Clear Pro got a channel matching issue.
The left side response for 0-100 Hz is better then on the right driver, after the 100 Hz it shifts all to the right side.
Even when trying to match it via my RME balance settings, i can't get it correct.
Turning around the headphones, so switching ears inverts the effect, so it is now hearing loss.
Switched the cables, the sources, the amps, everywhere the same.

I have to ask the dealer if he can do something about it!
Seems like there should be no questions on warranty claim. Keep us posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back